Looking at this 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pay the man and drive off before he changes his mind or someone else jumps on it!

That's a nice 40, it's in good shape, but ruff around the edges. I think you need to step back & really take a hard look @ it & figure out what you want to do w/it. It has cut rear fenders, the blk has been replaced, oil leak, drum brakes, unkown mileage & alot of surface rust. Then there's the mechanicals, someones been wrenching on it. It's 36yrs old & probably only had the required repairs it needed. Now put high gas prices into the equation. It's nice & all, but I don't think the markets as strong as you might think.

I know what you mean, and I've really been back and forth on it. I can do all mechanicals myself and light rust repair/paint touch up. I'm looking for something that I can work on over time and drive in between projects. It won't be a full restoration. I see steering components, disks, new seats, power steering, roof rail and probably knuckle rebuild...there's plenty more as everyone knows. We'll see how it goes... if I can work a deal.

pb4ugo - sounds like you looked at this one? TJ said someone from out of town took a look.

pb4ugo - sounds like you looked at this one? TJ said someone from out of town took a look.

Wasn't me. I was just looking @ the pics & ad. Did the out of town guy make an offer? He spent $ to look but not buy? What's that tell ya! A buddy of mine just bought alot cleaner, built 40 w/all the bells & whistles $2500 less than the listed price. It was on the market for 4 months or more.

To me, it looks like its ready for doing a frame off. w/o having to do alot of body work & repair. Get it going mechanicallly & put disc brakes on it 1st. Cheaper & less rust now than later, but the price has to be low. I have 1 in the basement in similar condition.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, and I've really been back and forth on it. I can do all mechanicals myself and light rust repair/paint touch up. I'm looking for something that I can work on over time and drive in between projects. It won't be a full restoration. I see steering components, disks, new seats, power steering, roof rail and probably knuckle rebuild...there's plenty more as everyone knows. We'll see how it goes... if I can work a deal.
If you're already prepared to spruce it up over time as you mentioned above, I'd jump on it for $5-6k. IMO, spending $2k on a $6k rig is a good deal to get in it in DD condition.

Good luck and post more pics when you get it home. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom