Looking at an FJ... Need a Consult (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I'm looking at buying an FJ and need some advice on the condition of this car. Here are some detailed underbody pics from the dealer. Do you guys see any red flags?

FJ Underbody Pics

Thanks!!

Looks absolutely flawless.

Could have a little more grease spray around the U-joints, which would tell me the driveline was greased more regularly, but it may be very new or very low miles. Not a big deal, I just like to see those hit more often....which results in grease flinging off usually, unless they were meticulous about wiping all the excess (not many do)

It is certainly NOT a rust bucket. :)

Very clean underneath,

Thanks for the comments. It's a higher mileage FJ, 2014 with more than 120k miles. That means it's been driven almost 60 miles a day on average. Judging by the photos, those must have all been on clean interstates far far away from any snow/salt. Single owner, serviced by the original dealer, and also being sold by the same dealer again which I like.

Service records show oil changes every 5-6k, but I can't see anything in the records about other fluids (diffs, transfer case). But all the regular service intervals were performed.

I have a deposit down and headed for a test drive this weekend. I'm going to listen carefully for TOB chirping. Also going to test out the HI/LO 4wd and locking diff to make sure everything is in good order... Those may not have been used in a long time if at all if my Interstate Cruiser guess is right.

Anything else to look out for specifically?

Probably not at risk because of year model - early models had bulging cracking inner fenders near firewall. Just check under hood for any sheet metal issues, from the infamous bulges (behind hood hinge area) to radiator supports and hood latch area - all areas to check for wear, tear and cracking. Also, check hoses for excessive drying/cracking and any vacuum hoses that are visible. I'd just go ahead and pre-emptively change the driveline fluids once you get it, so you have a baseline.

Thanks for the comments. It's a higher mileage FJ, 2014 with more than 120k miles. That means it's been driven almost 60 miles a day on average. Judging by the photos, those must have all been on clean interstates far far away from any snow/salt. Single owner, serviced by the original dealer, and also being sold by the same dealer again which I like.

Service records show oil changes every 5-6k, but I can't see anything in the records about other fluids (diffs, transfer case). But all the regular service intervals were performed.

I have a deposit down and headed for a test drive this weekend. I'm going to listen carefully for TOB chirping. Also going to test out the HI/LO 4wd and locking diff to make sure everything is in good order... Those may not have been used in a long time if at all if my Interstate Cruiser guess is right.

Anything else to look out for specifically?

Best of luck this weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom