Longfield Super Axles, why off-road use only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

canadian bum

SILVER Star
Threads
I don't understand why these are "Off road use only." The only thing that I can think of that would deem them for off road use only is that you would loose your ABS. But the HDJ81 has no ABS on the particular year I am working on. If there is another reason besides no tone ring for ABS could you let me know.

Thanks,
John

The softer metal allows them to flex more in offroad situations than the harder metal OEM axles. The same softness is the reason they aren't good for on road use; they wear out faster.....from what I understand.

Chromo wears out much much faster that stock. It can handle twisting forces and shock loads better, thus it's for offroad. If you DD your rig, you'll probably buy a new set of Longs every couple years.

Search will be your friend.:idea:

The Longs are softer, will wear considerably faster on a full time 4x4 than the OEM brifs, more than a few threads on the topic.;)

I put them front and rear in mine and daily drive it, but not all that much really. I work out of the house.

Chris

Thanks guys. I should have searched for sure normally I do but not in this case. If my friend does go with longs he will get a part time kit as well. His outer splines on his stock birfs are completely worn out at 120,000km's. Same with the drive flange. So I suggested upgrading but it will be a lot of upgrading. Previous owner in Japan must have hammered back and forth a lot or ran it in 4x4 down the dry highway.

....Which, quite frankly is the best choice...or OEM, they are pretty stout. When you do the rebuild, use Longfield's new lifetime sweeper seals, marlin inner axle seals and Koyo (factory) bearings and races.

If he is replacing worn birfs and plans to run AWD all the time, you can get the Slee Light Duty birfs designed for DD type use:meh:

Slee - Drivetrain - Drive Shafts

Would these be okay for expedition use? Like just taking the LC up steep mountains and going down on steep hills as well?

Looking for a replacement to OEM that I can still do moderate off roading twice a month but mostly daily drive.

Would these be okay for expedition use? Like just taking the LC up steep mountains and going down on steep hills as well?

Looking for a replacement to OEM that I can still do moderate off roading twice a month but mostly daily drive.

Stock or Slee's would do ya fine... Longs are intended for larger sized tires 37's and up and serious dedicated wheeling.

-Ammo

Stock or Slee's would do ya fine... Longs are intended for larger sized tires 37's and up and serious dedicated wheeling.

-Ammo

Thank you! :cheers:

I was considering the LongFields but read threads where people say they are not good DD's but they are good dedicated rock crawlers.

So my Only option is Slee's DD's or The Ebay ones that I think are called new fields.....

Newfields are made by Stuckey Bros here in Hemingway, SC- CV unlimited. If that is the one you are talking about. A good group of people. They've got a couple of Land Cruisers too...

The problem with that is you lose ABS...

Chris

The truck never had ABS to begin with.

He has decided to do a part time kit to save wearing out components for no reason. Eliminates a lot of future problems since he is going to be driving the truck till he is dead so he says.

Yes they use to be for off road only. Know they are a little bit harder so they will wear longer. 4340 chromoly can wear as good as anything else if you treat them right with the rock well hardness. Now you can use them for your daily driver, but they are still not as hard as stock CV. Ours are half the price as stock ones. Ours can be rebuilt. These are the only ones made in the US.
CV unlimited and the others are made in China.

Will soon be getting the shafts and birfs ordered the part time kit was ordered a day or two ago.

It's also good to know that the shafts were better I will be getting sets for my 40 and 45.

Yes they use to be for off road only. Know they are a little bit harder so they will wear longer. 4340 chromoly can wear as good as anything else if you treat them right with the rock well hardness. Now you can use them for your daily driver, but they are still not as hard as stock CV. Ours are half the price as stock ones. Ours can be rebuilt. These are the only ones made in the US.
CV unlimited and the others are made in China.
This answered my questions. I will be adding these back to my list of musts. I mean come on what other manufacturer has his 24 hr phone number on there if you have tech problems. That is customer service.

This answered my questions. I will be adding these back to my list of musts. I mean come on what other manufacturer has his 24 hr phone number on there if you have tech problems. That is customer service.

Ya and when you get a call back... It's Bobby himself on his cell... In the middle of nowhere... Hence why I purchased again, and will continue to be a loyal customer.

-Ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom