longe range america replacement tank (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wondering if anybody has an opinion on the long range america replacement tank vs carrying a few gas cans ?
The reason I like it is, that I don't have a 2 step process every time I want to access the back of the truck . I say this because to carry gas cans, I will need a bumper with a swing out. I don't like having gas on my roof rack.
I searched but results were scarce.
I think they hang down an extra inch. I will not be rock crawling so it should not be an issue.
Thanks

I guess it depends how often you actually need the added range and how much gas you go through. Having the tank underneath and the extra range is nice, but you loose the spare tire space and have to mount the spare on the back or the roof or go without a spare I suppose. You also end up carrying around a lot more gas than you actually need most of the time and that can be a lot of extra weight. If you aren't driving regularly, the fuel will be sitting for a while.

If you only need to have the extra range every once in a while, carrying some spare jerry cans on top isn't too bad of an option. Empty them into gas tank as soon as you can to get the weight and fuel off the roof and under the car. Then you have some empty tanks on top for the remainder of the trip and if you actually run out of fuel you have some tanks to bring with you to get filled and brought back to your vehicle if you are in a group or find someone who will help. The rest of the time they can stay at home.

With a Jerry can holder on the rear bumper, it gives me some flexibility. Usually I carry a mixture of gas and water cans. Water ends up being more of an issue than fuel usually.

For my type of wheeling on the west coast, I’m not far enough from a gas station that I need more than one can of gas. We fill up near the trailhead and carry a can of fuel for peace of mind and just incase. The only place I’ve needed more fuel is crossing remote desert areas.

The LRA tanks are pricey and add weight, though it would be nice to add range for 1000 mile drives we take to some trails. Stopping every 200 miles gets old. A LRA is arguably safer than carrying fuel externally.

As you point out, a Jerry can holder requires a rear bumper, but that gets your spare out of the way too. Jerry cans on the rear bumper move the center of gravity up and aft. I prefer my heavy weight low and close to the middle of the truck as possible. Jerry cans make it easy to share gas with stranded drivers.

A380BAFD-804E-4215-9C28-F9824C8F39A9.png

Last edited:
Exactly what @cahill said!!!!

If you only need the extra gas a few times a year than there is no point to spend so much on an auxiliary tank.

With a Jerry can holder on the rear bumper, it gives me some flexibility. Usually I carry a mixture of gas and water cans. Water ends up being more of an issue than fuel usually.

For my type of wheeling on the west coast, I’m not far enough from a gas station that I need more than one can of gas. We fill up near the trailhead and carry a can of fuel for peace of mind and just incase. The only place I’ve needed more fuel is crossing remote desert areas.

The LRA tanks are pricey and add weight, though it would be nice to add range for 1000 mile drives we take to some trails. Stopping every 200 miles gets old. A LRA is arguably safer than carrying fuel externally.

As you point out, a Jerry can holder requires a rear bumper, but that gets your spare out of the way too. Jerry cans on the rear bumper move the center of gravity up and aft. I prefer my heavy weight low and close to the middle of the truck as possible. Jerry cans make it easy to share gas with stranded drivers.

View attachment 3095494
Thats true about the jerry can holders. I am out west as well, I agree that water is often more important than the gas ha ha.
I was looking at the Delta rear bumper. I think with one swing out, it can hold 3 cans, so that's as much as the aux tank.

Since it appears you're in California, it should also be noted that the LRA tank will not pass smog (unless you're in an area of CA that doesn't require smog, but it would still cause an issue if you were to sell the vehicle to another CA resident).

LRA notes on their web site: NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA.

Fuel Tanks
Replacement fuel tanks must be identical to the original part. Add-on fuel tanks, or tanks with greater capacity than the original tank are legal for street use only if they have been issued an Executive Order.

But, there is a shop near me (in SoCal) that posts IG pictures of their LRA installs every so often...

I am wondering if anybody has an opinion on the long range america replacement tank vs carrying a few gas cans ?
The reason I like it is, that I don't have a 2 step process every time I want to access the back of the truck . I say this because to carry gas cans, I will need a bumper with a swing out. I don't like having gas on my roof rack.
I searched but results were scarce.
I think they hang down an extra inch. I will not be rock crawling so it should not be an issue.
Thanks
The "replacement tank" you mentioned replaces the OEM tank (with a larger capacity), so if moving the spare on to a spare tire carrier doesn't appeal to you, this is the tank to get. LRA makes both replacement and auxilary tanks for selected vehicles, 80 series being one of them. LRA is IMHO, a high quality company, so whichever way you go, you'll be well supported. I've got the 24 gal aux almost 5 yrs ago and am well satisfied with the advantages. Tire swing is fine with me, the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages for me. There are some that disagree and that's ok. The type of driving that I do in my 80 plus the mods I've made, the aux tank and tire swing work great. It might be different if it was my DD. YMMV

Since it appears you're in California, it should also be noted that the LRA tank will not pass smog (unless you're in an area of CA that doesn't require smog, but it would still cause an issue if you were to sell the vehicle to another CA resident).

Fuel Tanks
Replacement fuel tanks must be identical to the original part. Add-on fuel tanks, or tanks with greater capacity than the original tank are legal for street use only if they have been issued an Executive Order.

But, there is a shop near me (in SoCal) that posts IG pictures of their LRA installs every so often...
I go between CA and MT but I am and will always be an MT resident. I dont have to worry about smog stuff ;)

The "replacement tank" you mentioned replaces the OEM tank (with a larger capacity), so if moving the spare on to a spare tire carrier doesn't appeal to you, this is the tank to get. LRA makes both replacement and auxilary tanks for selected vehicles, 80 series being one of them. LRA is IMHO, a high quality company, so whichever way you go, you'll be well supported. I've got the 24 gal aux almost 5 yrs ago and am well satisfied with the advantages. Tire swing is fine with me, the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages for me. There are some that disagree and that's ok. The type of driving that I do in my 80 plus the mods I've made, the aux tank and tire swing work great. It might be different if it was my DD. YMMV
If I did go the LRA route I would get the replacement tank and keep my spare underneath. I will DD the truck alot, just b/c I would rather drive it than my F250. I love the F250. It has its time and place.

One thing to keep in mind is that with a longer range it is easier to be more selective where you buy gas. It's not hard to save 50 cents a gallon around here. Based on driving habits, the bigger tank may pay for itself.

Last weekend I went on a trip and I was able to make it to $4.25/gal station instead of the $5/gal station. At close to 35 gallons to fill up I saved about $25.

Fuel Tanks

Will the auxiliary tank actually cause you to fail a smog check, or is it just illegal? I don’t really care if it’s legal or not as long as I pass smog.

Will the auxiliary tank actually cause you to fail a smog check, or is it just illegal? I don’t really care if it’s legal or not as long as I pass smog.

Both and it depends. If the shop does the visual correctly, you’ll fail. If they’re lazy on the visual, you might pass. I personally wouldn’t try it with a 95 or earlier vehicle as the smog procedure is more stringent. With a 96/97 you have an ODB II smog which is a little quicker and they might be lazier on the visual.

Looks like they offer a 24-gallon auxiliary tank & a 37-gallon replacement tank.

I have the Wits End OBA air tank where my spare tire goes. I’m guessing that would interfere, but not sure.

Have the 37gal replacement tank that PO installed, great tank no troubles so far. Fuel float on empty is ~10gal left/100mi of range since it wasnt touched. I rarely carry cans at 370-400mi of onboard endurance. Spare is on the rear bumper. With a 6" lift the spare tire area becomes somewhere to sit with it raining.

I have the 24gal auxiliary tank, on longer trips its pretty nice when putting down miles.

Then it's your bladder that forces you to stop. I have been working on drinking less water, so I am not over hydrated.

Also on long trails I don't worry about running out of gas. I have used the drain plug to give people gas on the trail.

I have the 24gal auxiliary tank, on longer trips its pretty nice when putting down miles.

Then it's your bladder that forces you to stop. I have been working on drinking less water, so I am not over hydrated.

Also on long trails I don't worry about running out of gas. I have used the drain plug to give people gas on the trail.
Any trouble with smog?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom