LJ78 Prado Transmission ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey! New here. I recently bought a 1990 Prado EX5 and am experiencing some transmission trouble. First off, I haven't been able to find out what transmission came in these. The problem is that after driving for a while and warming up the trans fluid, it will kick out of lockup. The only way to get it back in lockup is to stop and accelerate up to speed again, or to shift out of overdrive and then back in again. Even then it won't stay locked for more than a couple of minutes. The fluid and filter screen were changed between 20k and 30k kms ago. The only numbers I could find on the trans were cast into the case: AISIN 8931 1
What trans is this? Is lockup electronic like the A343f, or hydraulic like the A440f?

Here is a photo of the Cruiser with a shower stall on top.
image.jpeg

there should be a chassis plate on the firewall after you open the bonnet. should be A343F.

Hey! New here. I recently bought a 1990 Prado EX5 and am experiencing some transmission trouble. First off, I haven't been able to find out what transmission came in these. The problem is that after driving for a while and warming up the trans fluid, it will kick out of lockup. The only way to get it back in lockup is to stop and accelerate up to speed again, or to shift out of overdrive and then back in again. Even then it won't stay locked for more than a couple of minutes. The fluid and filter screen were changed between 20k and 30k kms ago. The only numbers I could find on the trans were cast into the case: AISIN 8931 1
What trans is this? Is lockup electronic like the A343f, or hydraulic like the A440f?

Congrats on your new cruiser! Looks great. Nice to see you're putting to to work already. I like that roof rack.

As Rummat81 said, if it's auto, its the A343F. I've not heard of a single one of these trucks having serious transmission problems, so there is a good chance it can be sorted out. It's a big tough transmission connected to a small low power engine. If I were you, I'd start by having the transmission completely flushed. Make sure it's the right ATF... Dextron III I think? Says on the drain plug. It's possible to flush it yourself if you are mechanically inclined (I can explain if you want). I tow with mine, so I do a complete flush every year. Also, be aware of the OD and Pwr buttons for the transmission. Pwr one changes the lock-up to a higher speed. Trans should lock up in 3rd and 4th gears though. Does the truck have an auxiliary trans cooler in addition to the radiator trans cooler? If so, make sure the lines are not kinked.

Have a look at the manual for the transmission too. Here are the manuals you'll need for the vehicle. First one covers the A343F transmission.

RM183E, covers the whole vehicle except for the engine:
_KZJ70_HZJ_PZJ_chassis_body.pdf

Engine Manuals:
RM520E (Main for 2L, 3L & 5L engines)
forum.h4k.no/download/file.php?id=14135&sid=f426b91359e5825fb43df98b70107dfa
alternate:
Dropbox - 2L 3L 5L ENGINE RM520E.pdf

RM582E (Supplement for 2L, 2L-T, 3L and 5L engines)
forum.h4k.no/download/file.php?id=14134&sid=f426b91359e5825fb43df98b70107dfa
alternate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1joci2o0xtg6ujv/2L%2C2L-T%2C3L%2C5L ENGINE SUP. RM582E.pdf?dl=0

Denso Injection Pump Manual (also explains how your motor works, make sure you read it!!)
V 3 P5ZGR01.pdf

Thanks for all the info! I don't know how I missed the ID tag on the firewall, it is an A343f. The OD button works, but the PWR one does not. The trans fluid and screen were changed ~20,000 km ago, and the solenoids were cleaned and checked and the pressure tested at the same time. I have read that the A343f can have lockup issues due to an electric circuit connected to the brakes, since lockup is electronic in those transmissions. I'm going to start by cleaning and checking all the wiring connections, and see if that helps.
Thanks a ton for the links to the manuals, I have spent hours looking for those. I wish there was a FSM for this model, I had one for my FJ62 and it was SO nice.

Hey guys, having some O/D off light issues. Seeing references to the FSM for trouble codes, but I haven't had any luck finding a manual... wondering if anyone has the diagnostics section of the manual they can share? Cheers!

-T Perry, LJ78-PGT

Hey guys, having some O/D off light issues. Seeing references to the FSM for trouble codes, but I haven't had any luck finding a manual... wondering if anyone has the diagnostics section of the manual they can share? Cheers!

-T Perry, LJ78-PGT

2LTE was only offered in Japan I believe, which is why there is not any english FSM for it. I'm sure there is a Japanese one out there some where. In addition to the manuals above, there is also the Japanese wiring manual on this site. On of the guys actually translated the whole thing and posted it! I believe it was Airheadnut (same guy as posted above).

Anyhow, there are a bunch of tech notes for the 2LTE on this website including checking ECU diagnostic codes. ToyotaSurf Australia Site

Usually the OD issues are related to either capacitors leaking in the ECU or solenoids needing replacement in the valve body.

2LTE was only offered in Japan I believe, which is why there is not any english FSM for it. I'm sure there is a Japanese one out there some where. In addition to the manuals above, there is also the Japanese wiring manual on this site. On of the guys actually translated the whole thing and posted it! I believe it was Airheadnut (same guy as posted above).

Anyhow, there are a bunch of tech notes for the 2LTE on this website including checking ECU diagnostic codes. ToyotaSurf Australia Site

Usually the OD issues are related to either capacitors leaking in the ECU or solenoids needing replacement in the valve body.

Cheers, that's excellent help.

Tristan's problem is my problem now :) Purchased this 1990 LJ78 off him recently. I will keep this thread updated as I go.

Have a look at the manual for the transmission too. Here are the manuals you'll need for the vehicle. First one covers the A343F transmission.

I have looked this manual over a few times now. Am I just not seeing the section for the auto transmission? It seems to go right from "Manual Transmission" to "Transfer" and skip over section A-9 where the AT info should be.

Tristan's problem is my problem now :) Purchased this 1990 LJ78 off him recently. I will keep this thread updated as I go.

I have looked this manual over a few times now. Am I just not seeing the section for the auto transmission? It seems to go right from "Manual Transmission" to "Transfer" and skip over section A-9 where the AT info should be.

Automatic transmissions always have their own book. You will need to source a book for the transmission you have. Either A340F or the A343F will be similar to ones in US market 4Runner's or FZJ80 from 1995-1997. Recommend finding one of those books. Control logics, etc., will be the same between the platforms.

They are more than likely out of print already.

You will need .pdf versions.

You can try techinfo.toyota.com and get a subscription and then download the manual you need.

FYI, the OD Off light flashing has gone away after a replacement of the no. 3 solenoid and a transmission fluid/filter change. It also now shifts into overdrive properly on the highway. Work was done courtesy of @BiffS for which I am grateful.

Greetings cruisers,

I came across this thread while doing a search for ATF and other fluid specs on a 1992 LJ71.. My apologies in advance if I deviate off topic but I didn’t find any definitive answers using the search function and I didn’t want to start a new thread.

I was wondering if Dex II is required as specified on the drain plug or would Dex III suffice?

Also, should I go with Toyota GL4 or 5 80W for the diff/T-case or would a aftermarket brand like Redline provide better results?

Thank you in advance! Hope everyone is staying warm given the current polar vortex!!

Greetings cruisers,

I came across this thread while doing a search for ATF and other fluid specs on a 1992 LJ71.. My apologies in advance if I deviate off topic but I didn’t find any definitive answers using the search function and I didn’t want to start a new thread.

I was wondering if Dex II is required as specified on the drain plug or would Dex III suffice?

Also, should I go with Toyota GL4 or 5 80W for the diff/T-case or would a aftermarket brand like Redline provide better results?

Thank you in advance! Hope everyone is staying warm given the current polar vortex!!

I've had excellent success with the Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF. I do a lot of heavy towing in summer year after year and have never had any problems; so it's more than proven it's self.

I use aftermarket gear oils in my diffs and t-case. Again, no problems. I use dino oil in the front diff as it's less prone to leaking and the diff is only active when 4x4ing anyhow. I use synthetic in the t-case and rear diff for better efficiency and less wear.

Hey fellas. Been on this site a while. Would like to thank you all for the wealth of information given earlier on this thread.
I have recently purchased a 2lte that's had an engine swap to a 1kzte but it may have been done by a 2 year old. It's an auto which turned out to be completely burnt. It couldn't even reverse in low range. All the solenoid wires were cut and dragging on the floor. The 12 plug connector was shorted to the body and soon. Since I've had it it's blown 2 ECUs. So I managed to get a guy here who made 1 up out the 2.

Original harness for 2lte wrapped round front shock brace. Been a hell of a mission. I have the whole nose clip pulled off with the ECU and battery on the front wheel. I'm no electrician by the way.

Finally sourced a good looking A343F from a 2lte that has its wiring harness in tact. The engine and ECU in it has a very different harness for some other gear box all in one harness. Don't think it for an auto as the harness is small with probably 4 connectors on it. I think it off a manual. Now comes the fun and games as last night at 11pm I pulled out what I don't need of the 2lye harness. I'm hoping I'm almost there now once I figure out the box wiring and then I can wire it all up properly with relays and all that.

Ps in Zambia and auto electricians are still only capable of working on none electrical cars. Like the old distributor engines. I'll try post up a pic

Hey fellas. Been on this site a while. Would like to thank you all for the wealth of information given earlier on this thread.
I have recently purchased a 2lte that's had an engine swap to a 1kzte but it may have been done by a 2 year old. It's an auto which turned out to be completely burnt. It couldn't even reverse in low range. All the solenoid wires were cut and dragging on the floor. The 12 plug connector was shorted to the body and soon. Since I've had it it's blown 2 ECUs. So I managed to get a guy here who made 1 up out the 2.

Original harness for 2lte wrapped round front shock brace. Been a hell of a mission. I have the whole nose clip pulled off with the ECU and battery on the front wheel. I'm no electrician by the way.

Finally sourced a good looking A343F from a 2lte that has its wiring harness in tact. The engine and ECU in it has a very different harness for some other gear box all in one harness. Don't think it for an auto as the harness is small with probably 4 connectors on it. I think it off a manual. Now comes the fun and games as last night at 11pm I pulled out what I don't need of the 2lye harness. I'm hoping I'm almost there now once I figure out the box wiring and then I can wire it all up properly with relays and all that.

Ps in Zambia and auto electricians are still only capable of working on none electrical cars. Like the old distributor engines. I'll try post up a pic View attachment 1922864

Wow, sounds like you've got lots of work ahead of you. The electrical drawings for the Japanese LJ78 and KZJ78 are on this site. Also RM183E which has electrical drawings for the LJ77, KZJ77. Download these and it will help you a lot. If you can't find the links, let me know and I'll find them for you. You should start a new 'build' thread for your truck, that way we can help you with everything related.

Thanks GTS all help I can get is welcome. I tried to post a video but won't allow it. I'll do my best to keep to a thread but my time to do work is really tight as I do not have a workshop to work in. Working under the sky with no lighting is also very difficult as is.

itseems as though there is spoke to be a harness that comes from the dash (lj78) with ithink 15wiresthat runs back and forth to the ecu and transmission and also spliced with a few engine sensors that I'm missing. Plugs to gear box and loom for gearbox all in tact. I can't even pop into Toyota cause they say there is no availability of any parts for my rig. So gonna do the best I can. If I can't get it to do what it should I will probably do the auto manualisation trick. Means gonna be a one man rig like a one man missers hahaha. Taking it easy today having a breather

Is the electrical system for a 93 KZJ78 12 or 24 volts? My rig has 2 batteries. Is this only for starting or all electrical components 24V? Thank you!

Congrats on your new cruiser! Looks great. Nice to see you're putting to to work already. I like that roof rack.

As Rummat81 said, if it's auto, its the A343F. I've not heard of a single one of these trucks having serious transmission problems, so there is a good chance it can be sorted out. It's a big tough transmission connected to a small low power engine. If I were you, I'd start by having the transmission completely flushed. Make sure it's the right ATF... Dextron III I think? Says on the drain plug. It's possible to flush it yourself if you are mechanically inclined (I can explain if you want). I tow with mine, so I do a complete flush every year. Also, be aware of the OD and Pwr buttons for the transmission. Pwr one changes the lock-up to a higher speed. Trans should lock up in 3rd and 4th gears though. Does the truck have an auxiliary trans cooler in addition to the radiator trans cooler? If so, make sure the lines are not kinked.

Engine Manuals:
RM520E (Main for 2L, 3L & 5L engines)
forum.h4k.no/download/file.php?id=14135&sid=f426b91359e5825fb43df98b70107dfa
alternate:
Dropbox - 2L 3L 5L ENGINE RM520E.pdf

RM582E (Supplement for 2L, 2L-T, 3L and 5L engines)
forum.h4k.no/download/file.php?id=14134&sid=f426b91359e5825fb43df98b70107dfa
alternate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1joci2o0xtg6ujv/2L%2C2L-T%2C3L%2C5L ENGINE SUP. RM582E.pdf?dl=0

Denso Injection Pump Manual (also explains how your motor works, make sure you read it!!)
V 3 P5ZGR01.pdf
Thanks this was incredibly helpful, I've got an LJ78 manual with a 1kz swap and am trying to find my transmission number as I notice as well the kzj repair manual jumps a bunch of pages (skipping G model transmission and another straight to R Model)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom