LJ78 Engine Pull Troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.

So I’m in the process of pulling out my engine. The goal is a gasket overhaul and a new crank/bottom end bearings.

It seems to be going decently well, everything is disconnected and clear of the engine. I believe I’m at a point where I can lift it out, but it won’t budge.

Anybody have any ideas? I really don’t know what I’m missing, everything visible and obvious (to me) is disconnected. My engine lift is new, has no problem going to full height without a load. Any input would be great.

Cheers

Definitely Not trying to sound insulting or second guess you that everything is disconnected... but double check motor mounts are disconnected (make sure they are disconnected at the block and the frame just to give you more wiggle room) & you will have to "shake" loose your Bell Housing / Transmission Input Shaft from the Engine Block (probably a 2 person job) ... It should pull right out.... Especially, if you have a new Lift/ Hoist. You should see some space between the Bell Housing and Engine Block prior to lifting up the engine. I would say at least an inch of space between the block and bell housing prior to jacking it up. If it is pulling at a weird angle.. I recommend the leveling kit for another $50ish bucks. Let us know how it goes.

Definitely Not trying to sound insulting or second guess you that everything is disconnected... but double check motor mounts are disconnected (make sure they are disconnected at the block and the frame just to give you more wiggle room) & you will have to "shake" loose your Bell Housing / Transmission Input Shaft from the Engine Block (probably a 2 person job) ... It should pull right out.... Especially, if you have a new Lift/ Hoist. You should see some space between the Bell Housing and Engine Block prior to lifting up the engine. I would say at least an inch of space between the block and bell housing prior to jacking it up. If it is pulling at a weird angle.. I recommend the leveling kit for another $50ish bucks. Let us know how it goes.

No insult taken. I appreciate the help. I’m thinking I’m missing something is why I asked. I’m also a bit of a dummy, looking in the wrong place. The problem appears to be the lift. It can raise and lower, but not with much load on. Didn’t realize until I pulled it out and put my own weight on it. So once that’s sorted and I’m actually taking the weight off the mounts I should be in better shape.

I had a similar problem when I first went to pull my engine, the ram on my lift was worn out and wouldn't lift past a certain point with a load. Might not hurt to double check the bellhousing bolts, as I recall there's one at the top of the bellhousing that is pretty well hidden; I missed it at first and couldn't figure out why my engine and transmission wouldn't separate.

Hi all.

So I’m in the process of pulling out my engine. The goal is a gasket overhaul and a new crank/bottom end bearings.

It seems to be going decently well, everything is disconnected and clear of the engine. I believe I’m at a point where I can lift it out, but it won’t budge.

Anybody have any ideas? I really don’t know what I’m missing, everything visible and obvious (to me) is disconnected. My engine lift is new, has no problem going to full height without a load. Any input would be great.

Cheers

If your lift can't go high enough, you could take the front wheels off your truck and slowly lower it a bit. Or remove lots of bodywork at the front of the vehicle so you can just pull out the front.

In any case, you do have to pull the engine forward a bit before you can pull up if I remember correct from when I did this myself.

Be super super careful of your engine wiring harness. The wires will be brittle with age. Damaged wiring and bad/missing grounds will cause you all sort of grief later with the diesel ECD (EFI) system.

If your lift can't go high enough, you could take the front wheels off your truck and slowly lower it a bit. Or remove lots of bodywork at the front of the vehicle so you can just pull out the front.

In any case, you do have to pull the engine forward a bit before you can pull up if I remember correct from when I did this myself.

Be super super careful of your engine wiring harness. The wires will be brittle with age. Damaged wiring and bad/missing grounds will cause you all sort of grief later with the diesel ECD (EFI) system.

It looks like it’s going to go high enough. I was thinking about deflating the tires to gain a couple inches, if need be. I’ve also got the rad out to give me some space to move forward. @GTSSportCoupe your rebuild album has actually been a great reference so far.

The ram on my lift is junk however, just figuring out an alternative now. Still under warranty, but a hassle just the same to return.

The wiring harness was a huge pain, particularly around the starter.

Hopefully things go better this weekend when I get back out to where I’ve got it set up. Will post results
I had a similar problem when I first went to pull my engine, the ram on my lift was worn out and wouldn't lift past a certain point with a load. Might not hurt to double check the bellhousing bolts, as I recall there's one at the top of the bellhousing that is pretty well hidden; I missed it at first and couldn't figure out why my engine and transmission wouldn't separate.

I’ll definitely take a closer look at the bell housing bolts to see if I’m missing anything.

A positive update:
After replacing the ram on my shop crane my engine came out with ease. Thanks for the input everyone. Now on to the fun part.
FD8B615C-6590-4832-A294-F3457A53815E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom