LJ78 cranks won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
91’ Prado cranks but won’t start. It was driving and starting fine, let it sit for about an hour and it wouldn’t start. Checked all the fuses and fusible links near battery all were fine. Any ideas?

If it is getting air, then the only other thing missing to make it go is fuel.

Start with checking the primer (plunger type pump for after changing a fuel filter) and pump that until it is firm, then try again.

If that is the issue, then you likely have an air leak somewhere in the system. Lots of threads on the forum dealing with that.

Good luck with your troubleshooting! :cheers:

Start with checking the primer (plunger type pump for after changing a fuel filter) and pump that until it is firm, then try again.

If that is the issue, then you likely have an air leak somewhere in the system. Lots of threads on the forum dealing with that.

Pumping the primer worked! Will look for air leak forums

I'm pretty sure I have air leak problems also. It shows up mainly on a cold start after the vehicle has been sitting for more than about 6 hours, the engine cranks more than normal and makes clouds of whitish/grey smoke for 10-15 seconds after starting. The common culprit is the fuel filter housing/primer itself, but it could also be any of the rubber hoses between the tank and the injection pump. I installed a length of clear hose between my filter housing and IP this evening, will see what kind of air bubbles I get in it by morning.

Bubbles seem to like to sit at that highest point just before the dip down to the IP. Mine ended up being a rather large bubble some mornings, so I can only surmise that little bubbles were joining the party all night long!

Seems like those old rubber lines are all hitting that age. For all of us...

I'm pretty sure I have air leak problems also. It shows up mainly on a cold start after the vehicle has been sitting for more than about 6 hours, the engine cranks more than normal and makes clouds of whitish/grey smoke for 10-15 seconds after starting. The common culprit is the fuel filter housing/primer itself, but it could also be any of the rubber hoses between the tank and the injection pump. I installed a length of clear hose between my filter housing and IP this evening, will see what kind of air bubbles I get in it by morning.
I will note, that I first noticed mine last September, but it gradually got worse and worse, to the point where I had so much air in the system, I was puffing clouds of whitish smoke and the engine would stall at idle.

If I hopped out and pumped the primer until it was firm, I would be able to get it home again. That is when I parked it and tore everything out to test from end to end. I just replaced everything because, well... as @JDM Journeys can attest, working with diesel fuel for days on end gets old... FAST.

I don't ever want to have to do it again. Like ever. EVER. LOL

I had exactly the same issue with my LJ78, I fitted a non-return valve in the fuel line just before the filter housing and it fixed the problem.

yes , two points to check, is the injection pump wet and crank open one of the injector line after priming the primer pump

I had exactly the same issue with my LJ78, I fitted a non-return valve in the fuel line just before the filter housing and it fixed the problem.

That is a fantastic idea. I've always wondered why the check valve was in the fuel pump way back in the fuel tank on almost every car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom