LJ70 steering rattle on gravel road. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For you guys with death wobble - if you've replaced your bushings, damper and TREs it could be good to check your caster angle at an alignment shop. If you have negative or zero caster you're steering is "dynamically unstable" If you've lifted the truck at all and not installed caster correction bushings you may be out of spec. OME makes correction bushings but they lasted me a year and then split into pieces. Now I've got Super Pro bushings and they're doing much, much better.

Basically with positive caster the steering wants to return to center after a deflection from a bump or from the driver turning the wheels. Negative caster is the opposite. The wheels, once deflected, will want to continue to deflect. It gives the truck a very "light" and "wandering" feeling driving at speed. A steering damper helps with the shakes, but it can only patch up so much.

For you guys with death wobble - if you've replaced your bushings, damper and TREs it could be good to check your caster angle at an alignment shop. If you have negative or zero caster you're steering is "dynamically unstable" If you've lifted the truck at all and not installed caster correction bushings you may be out of spec. OME makes correction bushings but they lasted me a year and then split into pieces. Now I've got Super Pro bushings and they're doing much, much better.

Basically with positive caster the steering wants to return to center after a deflection from a bump or from the driver turning the wheels. Negative caster is the opposite. The wheels, once deflected, will want to continue to deflect. It gives the truck a very "light" and "wandering" feeling driving at speed. A steering damper helps with the shakes, but it can only patch up so much.

Oops. That wasn't important enough to post twice. Now I can't figure out how to erase it. Dang...

trdlj70,
the bearing on the bottom of steering feels firm....
The wobble amplified when 33"x10.5 Silverstone X'tremes.
Now back on Maxxis Buckshot 32"x11.5.

bbpjunk,
thanks for the tips. will check the caster this evening.

regards,
helimanBD.

PROBLEM SOLVED! The bearing at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft was the culprit. Had to disassemble steering column. The bearing is at the bottom of the shaft where there is a coupling. While inspecting the bearing it had unacceptable play. Replaced it and the shake is gone. I think i will change the top bearing on the steering column as well in the future. This made a night and day difference. There was an axial movement when i pulled the steering wheel..No more now just like it should have been. Hope this helps for everyone having the same issue Good luck.
Hi I know it is and post but do you still have a part no, or a bearing no. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom