LJ 71. Toyota P/N 88790-60050, What is it and what does it do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello good mudder folk. I hope you don't mind me dropping by.
I have trawled widely around web world and this site seems to have a lot of experienced Toyota, and other types, answering all sorts of techy questions.
So I am new here but have owned my truck, a 1993 LJ71 (Jap import to New Zealand) since 2000, I have had various problems with it, what a surprise, the transfer case filled up with A.T.F., the left rear axle seal leaked over the brake bits, the ever popular cracked cylinder head on these 2L-TE motors, busted radiator, and so it goes on.
So, months back, on my way to work one morning, cruising down the open country roads.......Hmmmm.... a new noise, or is it just my Knackered ears, all seemed to be going ok, so flog on regardless. However after a few months there was evidence of an oil leak from the lower front of the motor, got to do something about this.
Just prior to being put under house arrest by the NZ Govt, (thanks Covid) I bought the timing belt kit, a water pump, engine oil filter, fuel filter, new glow plugs, the air filter has only a few Km's of use, so left that, new A.T.F and engine oil.
Well after assembling it all back together, I was disappointed to find it running poorly at idle, but intermittently, sometimes good, sometime bad, real bad, almost like it's going to stall, 750 RPM or lower, I have noticed that if there is the slightest motion of the vehicle the problem is not present, so I suspect the ECU is fuelling whilst the speed sensor is sending a signal, but when that stops, fuelling drops, this happens hot or cold.
I replaced the ECU water temp sender, what a dog of a job that was, no. that didn't fix it, isolated the EGR valve, no that's not it, checked the TPS for correct Idle switch setting and resistance readings, all good, I have now bought a real Toyota thermostat, to replace the ten year old after market part, but, on thermostat housing is a "thing" with a pair of wires disappearing into the engine loom, doesn't seem to matter if this is connected or not, P/N as above, however some description call this a "thermistor Assy, (Toyota packaging) and some identify it as a "thermo switch with magnet" , well it can't be both, there is a lot of confusing words about it being for an electric engine cooling fan on some models, (not mine) and A/C cut when engine temp reaches a cooking temperature on other models, possibly, but my A/C died years ago, compressor isolated now.
Having been in the shed for the last month or so while I throw money at it, and not responding to treatment, I am loathed to sprinkle more of my hard earned until I can get some clarification, some of the time has been sucked up by a leaky radiator, in, out, in out.
Anyone out there with any light to shine on the intermittent poor idle performance, and what the "thing" on the thermostat housing is I would be most grateful.

I pulled my engine a couple years ago to give it all sort of love, and I found the wiring harness on these gets very brittle over time. I had to repair mine in a few spots at that time. Now doing a timing belt job you're not really impacting any of the really key important wires (crank sensor, injection pump, etc.). But it might be worth just inspecting everything really carefully in case a wire has broken or is barely holding together somewhere. Usually they fail right at the connector.

Another thought is you could pull the ECU codes to see if there is anything stored. I believe its just a jumper te1 to e1 or something like that in the diagnostic box. The Aussie Surf site has tech guides on how to pull the codes. The CEL light flashes and you can count the flashes to figure out what the problem is.

Usually the biggest issue people having with doing a timing belt on these is getting the pump out a tooth. But if your problem is intermittent, then that is probably not the issue.

Also, I don't think the part you're talking about could be responsible for the problems you're having. I don't think it's a key ECU sensor. The one under the intake manifold is the main ECU temp sensor. The ones in the t-stat housing are for the temp gauge and A/C as far as I know.

Last edited:
and what the "thing" on the thermostat housing is I would be most grateful.

High temperature cut out for the aircon.
Any time you have a part number, just google the number and you can usually find an explanation or description

Thanks people for your replies.
As Rosco says, it's a thermo switch, but as my A/C died years ago rather irrelevant, and the part is identified on the Toyota agents parts list as a Thermistor assy.
I think I have got on top of the rough idle problem, after the third attempt at getting the radiator sealed up, seems I had been over generous with the ATF, drained down around 700 cc, did the cycle through the shift and check level, now sits at lower end of range at the hot setting on the stick, it had been well above this previously, so now it idles as good as it did before.

Regards.

Keep it shiny side up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom