Litewing Awning by Roofnest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MCtree

GOLD Star
Threads
Does anybody have experience with the Litewing Awning by Roofnest?

A search of this forum comes back empty.

I’m interested in it because of its scant weight. 30lbs (or 40lbs for the XL) and apparent quick setup (from their video).
I want the light weight because I still have factory roof rails and I don’t want to put too much weight on them.

I like the hard storage case.

Looks nice.. and I have not used it; but from what I can see, I would be worried about it folding over with a breeze. Doesn't seem to have any tie downs.

I think it would need to be a calm weather day when used.

Like this:

shade folding up.jpg

Assuming it’s the same quality as their tents, I wouldn’t buy it. Had a roofnest tent for a year in 2020 and it was cheaply made but cost the same as a lot of more expensive, quality competitors.

I know it’s the opposite of what you’re looking for but I’d get a better aftermarket rack and get a bush co 270. I’ve had mine for a few years, dragged it along trees a bunch, bag just looks kinda dirty from sap. That and it just shrugs wind, rain, snow off.

Looks nice.. and I have not used it; but from what I can see, I would be worried about it folding over with a breeze. Doesn't seem to have any tie downs.

I think it would need to be a calm weather day when used.

Like this:

View attachment 3490515
FWIW the video shows poles and tiedowns. From its light weight, I think the risk is using it without tiedowns and wind picking up. To some extent, all free standing awnings are that way. It’s half the weight of Bushco so something is likely nit as strong/robust.

Thank all of you for the input.
Even if it’s not what I want to hear.

And yeah, I believe there are tie-downs for if the weather picks up.
And I want to believe that it’s so light-weight due to the use of carbon fiber instead of aluminum. But maybe I’m just falling for marketing here.

What’s most troubling to me is the paucity of reviews for the thing. Google searches only find one real review and then a bunch of press-release type of reviews from when Roofnest released the awning.
Or from places trying to sell it. I’m looking for some real-world experience.

And thanks, @Wafflroo, your input about the low quality of the brand is pertinent and helpful.

This is the best review and discussion of the Litewing that I can find.

Most of the places people go camping and off-roading are subject to wind - mountains, beach, etc. I've been in regular RV parks where its been a beautiful day and the wind kicks up and everyone's awnings from cheap Winnebagos to top end Airstreams wind up looking like hang-gliding accidents. Expensive awnings are expensive (and heavy) for a reason - they are better suited to these potential conditions. Also, the good ones like Alu-cab's shadow awn deploy and pack up quickly. The draw back as you have zeroed in on is cost and weight.

I have the Alu-cab, but for a day on the beach I usually go with a Kelty Noah's tarp affixed to the roof rack and staked down with ground grabba sand anchors. This makes for a nice shady area on the leeward side of the truck out of the blowing sand making an otherwise miserable beach day workable.

Noahs Tarp.jpg

I can deploy the Alu-cab for a quick lunch on the side of the trail when touring and be out of the midday sun - where I have used it the most is touring in NPs like Yellowstone where you can sit on a road side pull out and gaze at the comings and goings of the wildlife.

Developing your real life use case is the first step. How many times are you unable to find adequate shade or shelter where an awning would make a difference? We've used ours at dog shows, football tailgates, in national parks as previously pointed out, but it certainly isn't a daily thing. In my personal experience, it's been nice to have, but not need to have. You may realize in the end that an awning seems like it would be great, but in practice will just serve to reduce your fuel economy. The tailgate/liftgate kinda handles 90% of what you need. My wife and I sit on the tailgate and eat lunch way more often than do we deploy the awning for that. One of the great things about the 200 series.

Most of the places people go camping and off-roading are subject to wind - mountains, beach, etc. I've been in regular RV parks where its been a beautiful day and the wind kicks up and everyone's awnings from cheap Winnebagos to top end Airstreams wind up looking like hang-gliding accidents. Expensive awnings are expensive (and heavy) for a reason - they are better suited to these potential conditions. Also, the good ones like Alu-cab's shadow awn deploy and pack up quickly. The draw back as you have zeroed in on is cost and weight.

I have the Alu-cab, but for a day on the beach I usually go with a Kelty Noah's tarp affixed to the roof rack and staked down with ground grabba sand anchors. This makes for a nice shady area on the leeward side of the truck out of the blowing sand making an otherwise miserable beach day workable.

View attachment 3493353

I can deploy the Alu-cab for a quick lunch on the side of the trail when touring and be out of the midday sun - where I have used it the most is touring in NPs like Yellowstone where you can sit on a road side pull out and gaze at the comings and goings of the wildlife.

Developing your real life use case is the first step. How many times are you unable to find adequate shade or shelter where an awning would make a difference? We've used ours at dog shows, football tailgates, in national parks as previously pointed out, but it certainly isn't a daily thing. In my personal experience, it's been nice to have, but not need to have. You may realize in the end that an awning seems like it would be great, but in practice will just serve to reduce your fuel economy. The tailgate/liftgate kinda handles 90% of what you need. My wife and I sit on the tailgate and eat lunch way more often than do we deploy the awning for that. One of the great things about the 200 series.
Sorry I didn’t get back to you back in November.
You make some good points.

My largest fear is that I buy and install an awning and then carry it on all trips but then hardly use it on those trips. So it ends up being more decoration on my LC than anything else.

So ease of set-up is key. If it’s painful or more than a few steps I know I won’t bother.

In your case, @WCDAVE, can you say why you don’t use the alu-cab at the beach if it’s easy to extend and set-up?

Sorry I didn’t get back to you back in November.
You make some good points.

My largest fear is that I buy and install an awning and then carry it on all trips but then hardly use it on those trips. So it ends up being more decoration on my LC than anything else.

So ease of set-up is key. If it’s painful or more than a few steps I know I won’t bother.

In your case, @WCDAVE, can you say why you don’t use the alu-cab at the beach if it’s easy to extend and set-up?
I think if you put it on for trips, you'll use it. The use case issue I have is that it makes no sense to have it on in a day to day basis - it really sucks gas. If you already have a RTT maybe not a big add, but otherwise might be. So, going camping or touring to a place where I know I'll need it - it gets mounted and used. Otherwise hanging in the garage - once you put it on and off a few times it's easy with a helper. I am not looking to sell mine, but it was a bigger priority before I had it - if that makes sense. Sometimes we can find the shade of a tree or be in the shadow of a cliff and it's like - why bother? Other times in the middle of a flat, treeless expanse there is no replacing it for quick set up and use.

As to the beach, depends on the conditions. If you are otherwise getting sand blasted, I prefer more of an enclosure. Helps keep blowing sand out of the car and out of food. On a beautiful calm day, the awning would probably be great. Not that the Alu-cab cant handle beach breezes, just that it is not much of a wind break. When headed to the beach - usually a longer trip - I can't be sure what I'll get - so tarp it is.

Best use case for me (as above): I can deploy the Alu-cab for a quick lunch on the side of the trail when touring and be out of the midday sun - where I have used it the most is touring in NPs like Yellowstone where you can sit on a road side pull out and gaze at the comings and goings of the wildlife.

Also in Utah NPs and the surrounding areas where shade can sometimes be hard to find.

Thanks for the feedback.
I camp enough in places where I think an awning would be used (Utah, west Texas. Wyoming). I think.

But yeah… I like the way you put it; It could be much more important now, when I don’t have an awning, then when/if I actually have one.

But my birthday is upcoming and it’s an easy gift idea to give to my wife.
So it comes down to which one to get. I think ease of set-up is pretty key with me. If it’s not pretty instant, I know I will too often not bother setting it up.

I have a Litewing XL. I haven't used mine yet, and only had it installed temporarily. I will say with what little I've used it, I'm not super impressed. It feels pretty flimsy up on the rack. This may have to do with being the XL model and not the standard length. Also, I was using 2 Gamiviti rack recievers to mount it, based on weight should be fine, but the length of the awning and the flimsiness of the metal structure that holds the awning made me not like it. I decided to go with a 3 point of contact system and ordered the Gamiviti rack arms and awning adapters. I haven't finished installing these yet, so don't have a good review of the awning with that mounting system.

I also have zero experience with other awnings to compare to the litewing, so maybe they are all similar. But seeing videos of buys hanging from the bush co, make me feel like it's considerably more stout (at 2-3x the weight).

It's also very concerning that there are no reviews anywhere for the awning. A few members of the Roofnest owners' group on FB will mention that they have them, but no reviews and if you try to post in that group for real life data, you never get any responses.

The awning does come with poles/tiedowns and built in lighting.

Here are the 2 pictures I have.

IMG_6547.jpeg
IMG_6581.jpeg

Oh wow! A real owner! I was beginning to doubt there was such an animal.
Thanks for posting and giving your opinion.

Please let us know more when you get a chance to test it (hopefully in some wind).

The light-weight and easy set-up is what attracts me to the lightwing. But yeah, I worry that this goes along with flimsy construction. Hopefully your initial impression is due to the light-weight nature of it but then those carbon-fiber struts will surprise you with unexpected sturdiness.

Oh wow! A real owner! I was beginning to doubt there was such an animal.
Thanks for posting and giving your opinion.

Please let us know more when you get a chance to test it (hopefully in some wind).

The light-weight and easy set-up is what attracts me to the lightwing. But yeah, I worry that this goes along with flimsy construction. Hopefully your initial impression is due to the light-weight nature of it but then those carbon-fiber struts will surprise you with unexpected sturdiness.
That’s what I’m hoping as well. Also why I hadn’t started a thread yet. Surprised I missed this one. I’ve had the awning since early fall. I guess I probably stopped looking hard for reviews once I had one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom