lining fenders and rockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
Hello folks, I am looking into rhino lining my fender flares and rockers and looking for feedback experience. I am thinking a smooth finish on the flares and a pebbled finish on the rockers similar to stock. I can get a good price on rhino lining and have heard good things about the quality.

For the rockers, have people done it with the doors open or closed? I am thinking doors open to the natural line in the sills but the guy suggested closed.

For the fenders I am wondering how the smooth finish has held up to bush use and also about the fit at the joints with the body. I can see now the debate as to whether you leave them on or take them off because I am not sure if the rubber strip will fit over a fender after it is lined. &nbsp:Do you need to leave the lip original for the OEM rubber strip to fit?

Anyone try colour matching the liner?

Oh yes, has anyone tried rhino on the bottom of their ARB bullbar? Seems like this area on mine contacts gravel a fair bit and I can’t get paint to stay there.

I've done fenders and rockers (and mirrors) on mine, but using Duplicolor rather than Rhino.  

For the rockers I opened the doors doing the sills as well.  It turned out quite well.  

The only thing you need to watch for is the rocker line... if you follow it exactly it raises a few inches higher than the rest of the line once you get to the front fender.  I tried it both ways, following the rocker line on the passenger side and a visual line on the driver's side (figuring I could go back and correct the driver's side if I didn't like it).  That was 2 months ago and I'm still trying to decide which I prefer.  If I can get my camera working long enough I'll snap some shots of both.

When I did the flares everything fit back on fine, but I left the rubber strip off.  The flares do show some marks when I go though wooded trails and beat on them pretty hard.   When I did the rockers I taped off and touched up my flares too.  Took about 20 minutes and looked perfect afterwards.  Though the rhino liner maybe more durable, I dont have any experience with it.    Certainly an advantage to doing it yourself is the ability to touch up quickly and inexpensively.

I've not yet tried spraying my ARB, but like any other surface scuffing it up a bit with a scotchbrite pad should be enough to get the bedliners to stick.

Here's some pics, sorry about the odd colors and lighting.... tough in the late afternoon sun. Luckily with the black on white contrast you can still make it out.

The door sill following the rocker's line.
sill.jpg

The right side following the rocker's line. See how much higher it is than the rest of the line.... a bit odd looking.
rightside.jpg

The left side following what was supposed to be the visual line. I should have actually done it a bit higher. When spraying from the ground that looked right. :dunno: :G
leftside.jpg

My flares are Line-Xd. If you do go this route, you will drop less than 2 bills and the stuff is tough. Make sure to take the rubber strips off and get new ones. I tried doing this the cheap way and have regretted my decision since.

Keep,

Love the rockers. Where can I get Duplicolor at?

Pimp,

I like the old school logo on the gate of your 80. That is a nice touch. :G

Here is a pic of Line-X.

This was a while back...

Rogue,

You can find Duplicolor at AutoZone and Walmart for about $8 a can.  The rockers took a can each. BTW Rogue, when you getting some real meats?
thefinger.gif

Pimp,

I like the old school logo on the gate of your 80.  That is a nice touch.  :G
As a 40 owner, I LOVE that logo too. Its the only logo I don't have on my 40 :-/ cause SOR didn't tell me all the little bits and pieces I needed to install it :mad:
P.S. I have an extra old school 4wd logo if anyone wants it, if you have a model plane-type enamel paint set you could touch it up and it would look new. Free for the taking.

I have real meats. That picture was taken last summer before I started "fixing" things.

Here is a more recent photo... Note the sig line also.

Those BFGs are currently residing on a '93 F350. They gave me $50 per tire. That was a nice hook up when they offered to buy them. I thought I would have to give them away. :G

Just took my flares off to paint 'em. The rears anyway. I have too much stuff to do before leaving for Attica Friday morning to take the fronts off this week.

I would suggest taking them off at 100K or earlier and every 50K after that. Mine were plugged with crap and starting to rust in a bunch of places.

Lots of PB Blaster 'cause it is the Shiznit. I still need to replace most of the bend-over nuts.

Got a semi-gloss eurethane bumper paint in black and will be doing the rockers, rocker sliders and rear overhang sliders all the same. Should look snazzy with the white. pics when done if ya'll are good.

As a 40 owner, I LOVE that logo too.  Its the only logo I don't have on my 40  :-/ cause SOR didn't tell me all the little bits and pieces I needed to install it :mad:
P.S. I have an extra old school 4wd logo if anyone wants it, if you have a model plane-type enamel paint set you could touch it up and it would look new.  Free for the taking.

the 40 emblem went on 8 years ago..didn't have a fj40 then.....but I do now sweet stock 82fj40........ and a 45, 55, 60, 62(x2) another 40 and one more for parts. Damn emblems are spendy I replaced the ones on the 82, cost me $40!

bits and pieces? there are just holes(with inserts) in the body and it snaps into those...least mine did.

Duplicolor works great. All of my chrome magically disappeared. All of it.

:givecrap:

Lets see it Rogue... Can you get a close up pic of the grille? I've been thinking of blacking out my chrome.

I will snap a pic later today maybe. Off to school now. It looks goooooooooood!!! :G

Did you have any problem with the Dupli sticking to the chrome on the back of the mirrors or the running boards?

Any special prep for those?

The grille "chrome" is all plastic, as were my mirrors, the usual scuffing should work fine. &nbsp:Dunno amout the chrome on runningboards, I wasn't actually aware any had chrome on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom