Lights for ARB bullbar (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yomama.net
Hey all,

The el cheapo lights I originally installed in my bullbar suck. Time for new ones. Here is what I am looking at http://www.4wheelsupply.com/cat.cgi?s=JOIC&c=L. Question is, will 6" lights fit on the ARB without some kind of modifications? Also, does anyone know where to get replacement light assemblies for the ARB built in lights? Road salt has totally destroyed one of mine.

Thanks,

Yomama

Not sure about dimensions, althought I'm sure a 6" should clear... it's the depth you need to worry about...

My vote goes to either the Lightforces or the Catz Landmasters... I've got a pair of the square IPF's if anybody wants to make and offer on em'. I'm not crazy about square aux. lighting. Maybe I'll use em' as backup lamps.

I've also got the Catz Landmasters.. those are some bright lights... durable too. Then again, so are the lightforces... which I will have eventually.

Haven't seen GREAT things out of the Hella Rally 4000... they look ok, and perform ok... the HID versions do consderably better, but at that price, you could have 5 times the # of lamps... you'd draw 10 times more current, but I think the price is to prohibitive, unless you run rally or Baja all the time, HID is overkill as an auxiliary system... my .02

J

Should be no problem other than obstructing the air to the rad some. Depending on the mount, you may have to fab up a plate and weld it to the bar. These Hella 4000's are about 9" in diameter and work. I got replacement lenses for the ARB from MAF if I remember correctly, so you may want to check with them for the whole light assembly.
Bill

My marker lights are also trashed, and no response to my e-mail to arbusa. LED commercial truck lights look promising, about $70 and a little cutting on the bumper to fit.

[quote author=yomama link=board=2;threadid=4788;start=msg36328#msg36328 date=1062170104]
The el cheapo lights I originally installed in my bullbar suck. Time for new ones.
[/quote]

Or conversely just more of them? ;) At the price you have listed from the link, I could imagine many, many slightly worse lights?

Scott,

How about those oval sealed jobs that are held in by rubber rings? Shock resistant and a clean look to boot. Maybe an old L1011 landing light as well ;)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4788;start=msg36432#msg36432 date=1062196471]
Maybe an old L1011 landing light as well ;)
[/quote]

Where does one obtain a landing light?

I dunno,

Scott's the pilot, ask him. :D

YOmamma..

My ARB should be arriving any day now! :D and first thing i was thinkin about which driving/fog lights to add. Those 2 in 1 lights look sweet!.

You prob already know this..but, ther are some good pics on Slee's sight about driving lights (i posted them below)..you might to get an idea of size. I have NO idea if he modified the bars to make the lights fit...you might want to inquire with Slee.

piaa.jpg

From SLEE's Web page Pic #1

ipf.jpg

From SLEE's Web page Pic #2

-Joe

[quote author=WolfpackTLC link=board=2;threadid=4788;start=msg36340#msg36340 date=1062171944]
... I've got a pair of the square IPF's if anybody wants to make and offer on em'.
[/quote]

Are your IPF's the MSR 800's? If so, I'm interested. They'd work well on my FJ62 (square headlights).

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4788;start=msg36432#msg36432 date=1062196471] How about those oval sealed jobs that are held in by rubber rings? Shock resistant and a clean look to boot. Maybe an old L1011 landing light as well ;)
[/quote]

The oval lights are exactly what I'm thinking, a quick mod with a die-grinder. I'd also like one or two as rear fogs in my rear bumper. http://www.delcity.net has some I like. I've seen dozens on commercial trucks, they can't be paying nearly $40/per, but I haven't found a cheaper source.

Landing lights are just pencil beams, not real practical for cars, but you can get them from many aux light places. The ones on airplanes are powerful enough some will overheat the lenses on the ground.

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=4788;start=msg36342#msg36342 date=1062172255]
Should be no problem other than obstructing the air to the rad some. Depending on the mount, you may have to fab up a plate and weld it to the bar. These Hella 4000's are about 9" in diameter and work. I got replacement lenses for the ARB from MAF if I remember correctly, so you may want to check with them for the whole light assembly.
Bill
[/quote]

Bill...Your cruiser looks similar to mine when fully loaded on roof rack. I like your setup very much. What rack are you using? Is it anKaymar or ARB with side rail modifications or is it a custom? Also, what is on the far back side wibdow> It looke loke a wooden frame or something.

What spring/shock setup do you have on and do you have rear step bumper, drawer storage or LR fuel tank etc. also installed?

And one more question. how have you run the wiring harness to the lights on the rack? I would like to install four lights on front, two rectangular's on each side and two rectangular's on the rear of the rack. I want to have eadh side independantly switched, with one master switch to light all at once so I don't have to flip so many switches at once. I also don't know how I should wire up everything and not drill holes into outer body pannels.

Would like to hear what you have to say..

Mark

Mark,

Bill is out of pocket for much of this time of year. I will answer some of your questions as best as I can.

his rack is totaly custom, to include a removable over-head crane to lift tires and other heavy stuff. His wiring comes thru the roof skin near one of the front rack mounts. He is currenty changing out his suspension and is going to J springs IIRC. The wood frames are screens to keep the nasty arctic mosquitos out of his face as he resides in the cruiser on many of his sojurns. His 80 has only the driver's seat. the RH front seating position is being occupied by an ARB fridge. the remaining seats have been removed to provide storage for his required supplies for his long winded photographic expierences.

I'm sure I left a bunch out, Dan.

Thanks C-Dan,
I only type with two fingers - one if I'm picking my nose.

Mark,
The rack I welded up out of electrical conduit. Those things on the rear windows are no-see um screens with Oak frames that I made for ventilation to sleep in the back. On my last trip I ran OME 863/850 - N74E/73's. I now have 864/850J - N74L/N73's on with the brackets etc. but have not run it yet.
I did not have a rear step bumper other than the center section which I made out of tread plate to cover the rear winch that I have. I started to fab the two outside sections of the rear bumper (see picture) but now think I will just make a whole bumper. I do have a large aluminum military box inside on one side. The rest of the inside bottom now is a plywood box approx. 11 inches high. Hopefully, I will have the time to weld this up out of aluminum with a rear drawer. I only have a drivers seat. Fuel tanks are a 38 gallon main with a 45 gallon aux. I have two holes in the PS (US) roof for the wiring. The one in the rear goes to two Hellas on the back of the rack, and a CB wire to two co-phased fire sticks. The front wires go to the front rack Hellas, and to a Thomas air compressor in the aluminum box on the rack. FWIW, I wired the lights as follows: The rear are on their own separate switch. The bullbar fronts and the rack fronts are on a separate switch that is also wired through with the high beam switch. In other words the Hella switch has to be on and I have to have the high beams on for them to work. If I go to low beams or hit the Hella switch the Hellas will turn off. Hope this answers all your questions.
Bill

Yomama-

I've got those exact lights on my ARB bar. Only thing you'll have to do is bend the tab up a little to get the light to sit so the beam is level. They're nice, the two button control in the cab is nice too. They don't cast much more light than the high beams, but have the yellow hue, which is nice for fog and such.

If you're looking for more of a long-throw light, look at those Hella 4000s that someone mentioned. A friend has them on his 40 and when we do night runs in Moab, it's like having your own personal sun along for the ride.

Somebody here had JO1s on their ARB. I remember seeing a pic awhile back, but don' t remember who. I have them on my stock bumper right now. The ARB is sitting in the garage, perhaps this weekend for install!

They are realy good as a fog light. Just okay as a driving light. They serve my purposes well as amber fogs were my first priority. I cut off the IPF switch and wired each to the OEM (Camry) switches in my dash. Also if you use the power source line (through relay) from your stock lights, you will never be able to leave them on and run down you battery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom