Lighter power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, the cigarette lighter is only powered with the key on, just like the radio.

I'm returning to this. Now I don't have power when the key's in! Had my iPod charging and going into the radio and it kept pausing (means power temp. stopped). Then it went out all together. Now the dome light is out and the lighter's out. WTH? The fuses are all good though. I'm chasing this but don't know where else to look for help.

The PO put a Clarion 6 disc changer in it and that was the first thing to lose power. I'm wondering if some bad wiring job is to blame.

intermittent power problems are often ground problems, I would check that first

you might also see if you just had too much draw. I know an iPod doesn't pull much, but with the cd changer too... who knows.

best bet: go buy a dozen feet of duplex cable (2 wires in a sheath, often red adn black, sold at home depot et al.) if you want overkill, get 12ga, otherwise get 14 or 16ga.

Buy a cheap lighter socket at Kragen, PEP, Checkers... wherever.
Also get an inline fuse holder.

Put the fuse between the red and the battery +
put the black to the battery -

run the cable wherever you need a full-time lighter socket. Mount the socket.

Done.

It'll cost about $10 and shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to install.

Attach the red

You might want to consider buying something better than a cheapo socket if you are going to use it a whole lot. I bought 2 heavy duty stainless ones from a marine store and they should last a lifetime, but the really cheap ones will disintegrate from continual use. Usually at the worst possible time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom