Liftgate won't open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my son says he can't get his liftgate open. I went out to look at it and couldn't get it open either. It feels like the handle is working, and we can lock/unlock it, but can't get it to open. Any ideas? It's crazy-hot here in N. Texas right now so I didn't spend more than about two minutes inside the back looking at it -- what's the easiest way to get to the latch mechanism?

Does the liftgate feel loose at all, even a fraction of an inch after the handle is pulled? Sometimes if not opened in a long time the hinges can get tight/rusty, when that happens it just takes more human power to open it. Use a good penetrating oil (AeroKroil, CRC Freeze Off,---) on the hinges.

To check the bars that run from the handle/controls to the side latches
you can remove the carpet by carefully popping up the plastic rivets that hold
it in place. Best to use a flat tool (upholstery tool) to pop them up rather
than just grabbing and tugging on the carpet which can break the masonite
backing board it's attached to.

Once the carpet is off there are a few access panels held on by screws, just
open them up and look inside.

Mine did this. The little plastic clips that hold the opening rod mechanism break and then the handle does nothing. To open, you need to go from the inside, remove the cover on the handle and you'll see how it works. The little yellow clips are widely available. I bought a box of 20 on Amazon.

THere are left and right clips, the one that broke on mine was yellow if that matters

Amazon product ASIN B07RWWB12Z

Last edited:
Mine did this. The little plastic clips that hold the opening rod mechanism break and then the handle does nothing. To open, you need to go from the inside, removed the cover on the handle and you'll see how it works. The little yellow clips are widely available. I bought a box of 20 on Amazon.

THere are left and right clips, the one that broke on mine was yellow if that matters

Amazon product ASIN B07RWWB12Z

this was my problem as well, very easy fix

It's not rusted shut -- it gets opened several times a week. Thanks for the info, I'm going to wait until it's not triple digits outside to take the carpet off..... I told my son he's just going to have to put his tennis stuff in the backseat until sometime around Thanksgiving.

It is literally a 5 minute fix. If that. All you need to do is take out the bezel around the latch.

Try pushing the handle as far towards the engine as possible. Then unlock and try opening the hatch.
If this works make sure to lube the hinges and mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom