Lift options for 2nd Generation Sequoia (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the only kit I can see that is front and rear in the $500 range. It is just shocks & struts and is meant to work with a lift but does not actually provide any lift.

Am I missing something?

Replacing just the rear shocks with 5100’s won’t get you any lift by itself in the rear. You need a spacer for your original springs,or new springs such as the Dobinson

Decent info/pics of stock TRD pro coilovers:

Fox’s version:

——————

I’m currently doing FR Icon‘s 6” ones (2.5 internal resi‘s)
I got on Black Friday for ~$1150.

same design as mine, just I have a longer body/rod for the 6” lift.

Billet upper arms with Deltajoints too - ~$1250 from memory.

——————

When I get to doing the rear, most likely will be Icon:

—BUT—

I’m on a crappo Pro-Comp (BDS is far more quality kit for guys looking to go 6”) -lift I’m trying to salvage into a decent road & semi-capable offroad / towing duties as well, so the CDCV feature on the rear will help.

And I’m running 37-13.5r20 BFG KM3’s now that currently *barely* rub at full lock - the billet upper arms & bumping forward my caster will fix that.

HTH - I know you’re IRS, but our FR stuff crosses over enough to talk about it.

I should add my stuff is still in boxes - it’s been crazy lately & I need to anti-sieze the spring perches before my buddy & me install the coilovers & upper arms.

I’ll be doing it within the next 3-4wks, I’ll be able to comment more then.

Has anybody ever run into problems with alignment after lifting the rear? My local shop stated they used to install the ReadyLift 3/2 on Sequoias, but stopped due to people kept bringing them back in for alignment multiple times per year. Said they will only install a front level only. I had pretty much settled for that and 275/65/20 tires, but just found this forum and this thread and it looks like people have had success with multiple setups, so now I'm jonesin for a legit 3" lift again - given it doesn't cause alignment problems...

Has anybody ever run into problems with alignment after lifting the rear? My local shop stated they used to install the ReadyLift 3/2 on Sequoias, but stopped due to people kept bringing them back in for alignment multiple times per year. Said they will only install a front level only. I had pretty much settled for that and 275/65/20 tires, but just found this forum and this thread and it looks like people have had success with multiple setups, so now I'm jonesin for a legit 3" lift again - given it doesn't cause alignment problems...
Most problems with alignment issues are caused by the shop and specifically the tech doing the alignment. My personal experience of course. Nobody seems to know how to make the pretty lights on the machine go green (lack of trained mechanics). 3" and under lift shouldn't put you out of spec, borderline but not out.

I am traveling currently,but I do have some info to share. I will report back!

The Yellow Bilstein 4600 series struts with TRD Coils are different than standard base SR5 Black Tokico Struts/Coils. They provide different spring rates and give a slight increase in lift versus the base models. They are also more firm and less bouncy to me.

From what I understand,most all 2nd and 3rd generation Tundra front end suspension parts fit the 2nd Gen Sequoias. My wife’s 2008 sequoia has 2017 and 2018 suspension parts that bolted right up.

Should you have a specific question about parts compatibility,I suggest asking forum member Roman on the Tundras.com forum

He works at a Toyota dealership parts department and is the resident guru on there for that sort of thing. He has been very helpful to me in that regard.

I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on this Bilstein 5100 kit. I think 2.5/1.5 should work well for our needs, and I'm on the fence about going to 33s (285/17R17) or 35s on my Rock Warrior wheels. I'd love to go to 35s, but I think the 33s would be a little more practical (reduced weight, no need for a swingout tire carrier). If going with 285/70/R17s means no wheel spacers, then that seals the deal for me....

Any suggestions on the 1.5" rear spacer that I would need for this Bilstein setup?

I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on this Bilstein 5100 kit. I think 2.5/1.5 should work well for our needs, and I'm on the fence about going to 33s (285/17R17) or 35s on my Rock Warrior wheels. I'd love to go to 35s, but I think the 33s would be a little more practical (reduced weight, no need for a swingout tire carrier). If going with 285/70/R17s means no wheel spacers, then that seals the deal for me....

Any suggestions on the 1.5" rear spacer that I would need for this Bilstein setup?

I wouldn’t add add spacers. It adds more stress on the OEM Coils,and you’ll have rear end bounce.

I tried 5100’s on my Sequoia rear after putting on TRD Front Coils and noticed the rear bounced bad. This was with NO spacer,which I imagine would make it worse.

Here is another topic for reading

I wouldn’t add add spacers. It adds more stress on the OEM Coils,and you’ll have rear end bounce.

I tried 5100’s on my Sequoia rear after putting on TRD Front Coils and noticed the rear bounced bad. This was with NO spacer,which I imagine would make it worse.

Here is another topic for reading

Interesting. Not sure how this would stress the coil more? Its just like dropping the top of the bucket down 1.5 inches. The coil is still at the same height it was before. My buddy has been extremely happy with his after the spacers.

@txgringo - if Rock Warrior suspension is TRD/TRD Pro - type stuff, my FR shock/spring assembly will both be out this month.

<70K on them, I’d give them your way for very little $$ (enough to make me hunt a box & pack, really) - If you’re looking to lift on the cheap.

If you wanted them, I’d even leave the 5-6” spacers the Pro-Comp uses - cut the middle out to whatever you like & re-weld them.
The spacers use the same 4 bolt / square pattern the upper bolts to the FR shock tower are, no modding your vehicle.

They aren’t anything like the threaded spring perch units I linked that are current TRD Pro, just basic yellow body shock Bilsteins w/ black OE coils (Rock Warrior spec, whatever that is)

If you want pics, just say so - I was just going to let them sit until I needed to rebuild the Icon coilovers down the road some ~15K or more.

@LINUS I'm kind of on a budget with this Sequoia build, so I'm very interested in your Tundra takeoffs. Sent you a PM. I'm hoping that setup could be dialed down to achieve a 3" lift on the front.

What would be a good option (keeping cost in mind) for the rear to get to 2" lift? Bilstein 5125s with OME 2864 coils?

@LINUS I'm kind of on a budget with this Sequoia build, so I'm very interested in your Tundra takeoffs. Sent you a PM. I'm hoping that setup could be dialed down to achieve a 3" lift on the front.

What would be a good option (keeping cost in mind) for the rear to get to 2" lift? Bilstein 5125s with OME 2864 coils?

OME Coils are NOT spec’d for our weights in 2nd gen sequoias. Yes,they will “fit” but are used across several different platforms.

I have followed this thread and others like it,on this topic for rear 2nd gen Sequoia suspension.

I have found the spring weight info for the 2864 Coils as well as the Dobinson 1.75 lift coils and have posted below.

The 2864’s “will fit” But are not engineered specifically for the Sequoia.

Here is the info on the 2864’s and the Dobinson 1.75 Coils

OME-2864 -- Heavy Load (440 lbs to GVW)
Dobinson 1.75 lift 624LBF/IN

So using the data above it looks as if theDobinson Springs are rated for an additional 184lbs of weight. I’m still not sure if that’s total per pair,or per each individual coil

I assume if that’s per each individual coil,then you just double the 184, which equals out to the Dobinson being rated for 368lbs more weight than the 2864’s.

If that is truly the case,I can definitely see the potential issues that using the universal 2864’s could cause. It’s just not enough weight rating,thus the users who complain about bouncing rear ends.

Not to mention the 5125’s need the proper sized bushings for install,which don’t come on the shock. You cannot buy them from Toytec individually either,others have tried since they sell a lift kit using 5125’s with custom bushings.

I would personally use Dobinson springs as hey ARE designed and spec’d specifically for our vehicles. Using the proper spec’d coils are important since they hold the weight.

A good proper spec spring makes all the difference in the world

The Dobinson average about $100 more than the OME 2864’s for the coils,and about the same for the Dobinson rear shocks.

I would save up just a little while longer,and get something specifically made for our Sequoias on the rear. It would suck to put in all the time and money into something to have sub par performance

Whatever you choose to do on the fronts,you have many more options.

Last edited:

What did you end up doing? I have a 08 limited that I want to lift.

What did you end up doing? I have a 08 limited that I want to lift.
I've been furloughed for the last month and will be unemployed after tomorrow, so I kind of put it all on hold until I have an income stream again.

I've been furloughed for the last month and will be unemployed after tomorrow, so I kind of put it all on hold until I have an income stream again.
With state unemployment and the extra $600 a week the fed is kicking in plus the stimulus, you may be better off... Sorry to hear about the job loss, but make sure you are doing your homework on what you are entitled to

With state unemployment and the extra $600 a week the fed is kicking in plus the stimulus, you may be better off... Sorry to hear about the job loss, but make sure you are doing your homework on what you are entitled to
Thanks. I'm aware of the Federal $600/week and we're also taking advantage of mortgage and auto loan deferments, so we're stable for at least the next few months. I'm trying to use this time to spend extra time with family and get our house ready to rent in case my re-entry to the workforce requires us to relocate. We were super stressed at first, but we're actually ok with everything now that we have a plan in place and know that we're not at risk of losing any assets.

I haven't been able to find the Dobinsons Rear Coils for months now. Maybe they are no longer making them? Special order or something? Anybody know of any in stock some place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom