Lift options for 2nd Generation Sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

txgringo

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a 2016 Limited Sequoia this week for my wife. This will be her DD and our family road trip vehicle. It will see some limited offroad use, but likely rarely (if ever) technical trail use. I'd like to be able to run 35's and maintaining good on-road handling is more important that super offroad capabilities.

I've seen the spacer options from ReadyLift 3/2 and Revtek 2.5/1.5 and read that there are some options for full kits from OME and Dobinson's and it seems that some components from Icon and Bilstein. I haven't seen much discussion of the advantages of one system vs. others.

From what I can see, the spacer options will run about $500 whereas the full suspension kits seem to start at about $1000. The spacer kits would appear to be a bit easier to install as well.

Anyone running either of these spacer kits long enough to offer your opinion on them? Would you make the same purchase, or would you spring for the full kit from Dobinson's?

At what point does it become necessary to replace the OEM UCAs?

At what lift height does it become necessary to install a diff drop kit? Any reason not to just install it with any lift height?

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a 2016 Limited Sequoia this week for my wife. This will be her DD and our family road trip vehicle. It will see some limited offroad use, but likely rarely (if ever) technical trail use. I'd like to be able to run 35's and maintaining good on-road handling is more important that super offroad capabilities.

I've seen the spacer options from ReadyLift 3/2 and Revtek 2.5/1.5 and read that there are some options for full kits from OME and Dobinson's and it seems that some components from Icon and Bilstein. I haven't seen much discussion of the advantages of one system vs. others.

From what I can see, the spacer options will run about $500 whereas the full suspension kits seem to start at about $1000. The spacer kits would appear to be a bit easier to install as well.

Anyone running either of these spacer kits long enough to offer your opinion on them? Would you make the same purchase, or would you spring for the full kit from Dobinson's?

At what point does it become necessary to replace the OEM UCAs?

At what lift height does it become necessary to install a diff drop kit? Any reason not to just install it with any lift height?
Going to be up to you and what you want to spend. 5100s and a 1 inch rear spacer should get you 2.5 lift for about 500. Haven't heard of many complaints out of that option. You shouldn't need uca's with that option, but could also depend on your wheels and tires. A diff drop can't hurt anything. I would go for it with any lift.

I am in the process of refreshing my wife’s 08 Sequoia

I installed Tundra front coils/struts

they were new takeoffs from a Tundra TRD Offroad
BlisteinyYellow/Blues 4600series and bolted right in

wayyyy better ride more firm and responsive versus the stock plushy big boat feel

My front height sits at 37 inches from ground to fender edge

for the rear i will be using Dobinsons coils as they are specifically designed for 2nd gen Sequoia,unlike others that fit but are kind of a one size fits all

Curious about this too, what if you stumbled across some take off shocks from a 2020 trd pro seqouia would they bolt right on a 2008 or newer seqouia?? Just a thought

Just installed my buddies 10 with 5100s on the 3rd notch and the 1.5" eBay coil spacers with the factory rubber isolator kept in space. He achieved 2.5 inches in the front and 1.5 in the back. It now sits level and we installed 35x12.50x18 Nitto ridge graplers on the factory wheels with 1.25" spacers to clear the ucas. No rub on the frame and just touches the inner liner on its way to full lock. Nothing a little heat gun on the lining won't take care of. Will add a Pic shortly

41740.jpeg

Icon makes a ton of stuff in that 2-3” lift range, might give them a look.

Anything but Pro-Comp ;)

Going to be up to you and what you want to spend. 5100s and a 1 inch rear spacer should get you 2.5 lift for about 500. Haven't heard of many complaints out of that option. You shouldn't need uca's with that option, but could also depend on your wheels and tires. A diff drop can't hurt anything. I would go for it with any lift.

Yeah, the Readylift kit includes the diff drop. I think I'll start there and see how it rides. The 2016 that I was looking at before sold while I was trying to trim a couple grand off the price. Having to shop for rigs a little further away now. Hoping to finally ink a deal this week...

Yeah, the Readylift kit includes the diff drop. I think I'll start there and see how it rides. The 2016 that I was looking at before sold while I was trying to trim a couple grand off the price. Having to shop for rigs a little further away now. Hoping to finally ink a deal this week...
I would steer clear of the ready lift, for the same price you can get new shocks with the Bilsteins. But I'm just not a fan of spacers on the struts. I just don't see the point

I would steer clear of the ready lift, for the same price you can get new shocks with the Bilsteins. But I'm just not a fan of spacers on the struts. I just don't see the point

New shocks might help the ride, but they don't provide any lift. I'd never considered spacers for a lift before (I've run spacers to level out when already running a coil lift) but have read about a lot of people running these on 2nd gens. I'm not looking for maximum offroad travel or anything like that as this will be my wife's daily driver and will only see occasional mild offroad use (e.g. forest service roads in Colorado).

Any particular reason you're advising against spacers, or just because a coil lift is superior?

New shocks might help the ride, but they don't provide any lift. I'd never considered spacers for a lift before (I've run spacers to level out when already running a coil lift) but have read about a lot of people running these on 2nd gens. I'm not looking for maximum offroad travel or anything like that as this will be my wife's daily driver and will only see occasional mild offroad use (e.g. forest service roads in Colorado).

Any particular reason you're advising against spacers, or just because a coil lift is superior?
The struts provide the lift on the 5100, so you get a lift and a better ride. If I'm going into the front end I'd rather upgrade the ride then throw a spacer in. if it was a quarter of the price for the spacer then I could see doing it, but for the same price I'd go with the 5100s. Plus you are replacing the shocks in the rear with a longer shock so it can accommodate your coil spacer.

The struts provide the lift on the 5100, so you get a lift and a better ride. If I'm going into the front end I'd rather upgrade the ride then throw a spacer in. if it was a quarter of the price for the spacer then I could see doing it, but for the same price I'd go with the 5100s. Plus you are replacing the shocks in the rear with a longer shock so it can accommodate your coil spacer.

This is the only kit I can see that is front and rear in the $500 range. It is just shocks & struts and is meant to work with a lift but does not actually provide any lift.

Am I missing something?

This is the only kit I can see that is front and rear in the $500 range. It is just shocks & struts and is meant to work with a lift but does not actually provide any lift.

Am I missing something?
Yes you are missing something. The front strut is 0-2.5" lift. You remove your current strut, remove the coil spring. Set the new strut ring at your desired lift height and reinstall it. The rear you would install a 1-1.25 coil spacer and the longer shock will accommodate the spacer. Spacers are about $40 on eBay.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I read the Q&A on that page where it mentioned that the "Rear shocks will not lift your truck by themselves" and missed the point about the front being ride-height adjustable.

My goal is to run 35s. I had read that the 3/2 lift will clear 35s fine. Will 2.5/1 clear OK?

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I read the Q&A on that page where it mentioned that the "Rear shocks will not lift your truck by themselves" and missed the point about the front being ride-height adjustable.

My goal is to run 35s. I had read that the 3/2 lift will clear 35s fine. Will 2.5/1 clear OK?
If you go 2.5 you will need 1.5 in the rear to level the truck, yes it will clear 35 just did it last week on my buddies 2010, he needed wheel spacers on the stock wheels so the tires would not rub the upper control arms. See pics in previous post

awesome. I read that the other day, but kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the guidance! About to board a flight to pick up a 2015 for my wife and trying to get everything lined out for suspension soonish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom