Lift is more than expected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had OME 861/862 coils installed today and was expecting a little less than an inch lift. Pre and post installation measurements show a 2" lift in rear and 2.25" in front.

Only thing that comes to mind is that the old ('96 with 120,000) springs were really tired and were compressed over an inch from new.

Also put on Edelbrock shocks but don't think that should affect the height.

Any explanations or similar experiences?

BTW... Really like the way it rides and handles. Significant improvement.

Thanks,
Ed

Totally normal-the OME springs are set to give a 50mm lift. The shocks will not affect the degree of lift unless they are air shocks. Your rear should have gone up more, do you have some heavy items in the rear?

Andrew,

The OME literature says 3/8" lift for the 861 (front) and 4/5" for the rear 862, that's why the 2 inches surprised me.

The cruiser was empty pre and post for measuring. The only additional weight in the rear is a Draw-Tite hitch.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, The ome lit more then likely does refer to a fresh healthy set of springs... The edelbrocks did nothing to effect the overall lift. Me thinks you'll be good to go. Just give them a while and they will settle some. If not then it's always an excuse to go to a bit larger tire... ;)

it's always an excuse to go to a bit larger tire... ;)

The thought has already crossed my mind....

Actually, the taller lift is a pleasant surprise

Did the same springs and got at least a good inch, maybe 1.5 or existing height (I forgot to measure :doh:). I presumed as you did that my 114k mi springs had softened from new about 1/2 inch or so.

When doing this OME mod do you install the caster correction as well?

I'm just curious as I'm needing to lift my 80 as well.

Benie,

This lift ammount over stock probably does not need castor correction. That comes into play at around 2 1/2 inches.

Ed,

Measure the distance perpendicular to the ground, between the center of the hub and the bottom of the flare. That measurment will take tire height out of the picture. Post the measurment and we can compare notes on other lifts vs stock, apples-to-apples.

Dan.

I put the OME's on my rig. I really like them. I got a little bit of unexpected extra lift also..so, I ditched the TOYO 275's street tires that came with it and upgraded to BFG AT's 295's.

LinkPhoto

-Before OME (stock shocks & coils & BONE STOCK everything else)

LinkPhoto

-after I put the OME coils in ( w/Bilstein Shocks & less running boards..getting there slowly w/mods :D )

[glow=green,2,300]LATER[/glow]
-Joe M.-

Joe,

How do the OME springs work with the Bilsteins? Any bouncing feeling or anything? I have the steins and am considering the OME's.

Cary

Next thing you know you will be running J springs and long travel shocks. ::)

Hi Joe -

I really like the result of the lift and removal of the running boards. This is exactly what I'm looking to do. The list you got is exactly what I'm looking for - which OME part number did you use? The heavy 4/5" ?

Also I see that you left the rubber thingy at the bottom of the passinger doors and seems to look OK. I could figure out if I should pull that piece or not. My running boards are still on but they gotta go.

Ben

Whats up.

cary - The Bil's work great with the OME Coils. There is virtually no bounce..like riding on train tracks! But, i this is a bias opinion..as i have never had OME shocks...so i cant compare.

benie- I got the OME 861/862 coils from SLEE. one word..AWESOME!. The rig drove 1000000% better w/the OME's. HA...didnt think anyone would notice that 'rubber thingy' from the running boards. It was still on in that pic because the bolt holding them on was siezed. About a week or two after that pic was taken i just hacked it off with a hand saw. Looks better w/out. When i ditched the running boards..i also picked up some front mud flaps.

By the way..i dont have any 'correctional' additions. Didnt/dont need them with the 861/862's and the BFG 295's(33 in). BUT, it is my understanding that if you go w/tires bigger than 33 inches..you need to use the correctional hoop-lah...and you need bigga OME coils!

[glow=green,2,300]later..[/glow]
-Joe M. -

Joe - do you recall the part numbers for the mud flaps? Not that I'm second guessing C-Dan but ... there seems to be 2 different part numbers for the flaps.

Dan mentioned the 76603-60021 and 76604-60021 parts but my local parts guy (no expert mind you) thinks that they might be for the non-flared fender.

I have the factory painted rubbery flares that I plan on keeping on and I want to make sure I get the right front mud flaps since it's a custom order here.

Dan - can you confirm if the 76603-60021 and 76604-60021 flaps are for factory flared fenders?

The local guy is suggesting the 76603-60011 and 76604-60011 (I think).

Thanks Ben.

I was starting to worry that Dan may have been confused. It was wrong to doubt. :'(

Landandsea - I'm thinking about installing the same springs on my 92. Would you be able to measure the distance from the center of the hub to the bottom of your flare. Just wondering how much my factory springs have dropped in 11 years.

Also, I know this sounds stupid but would I be ok for a while leaving the factory shocks in with OME springs. The shocks are only about a year old.

Thanks, Brian

Benie,

::)

Go ahead and get the 60011's, you'll have nice cut-outs in them for the Japanese side steps. ;)

Oh, [move] I'm not always right :eek:[/move]

Dan and Brian, 21.5" center of hub to bottom of flair - straight up. Both sides measure the same.

Other variables = 1/2 tank fuel
approx 50 lbs of stuff in cargo area
spare tire in place

Major difference in handling with these springs. Makes it feel almost sportscar-like compared to originals.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom