Lift is more than expected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Downey springs circa 1994:

Front 22 inches

Rear 21.5 inches

3/4 tank fuel, drawers, Garvin roof rack, 305/70 tire on steel wheel down under, Hanna sliders, Stout front bumper/ 8k Warn winch, blower, single battery and 3 bucks in change, evenly distributed. :D

Brian,

You can install OME springs with the stock factory shocks. Obviously, you will not have as much axle droop as you would with the OME L-shocks but that is not a problem. You will still gain the superior ride and handling of the OME springs. If it were me, I would wait until you really *need* the longer shocks before replacing the 1 year old stock shocks.

-B-

I have 20" right now. Would the extra 1 1/2" give me enough room to upgrade to 33's?

With all this talk of the 861/862, I thought I would remind anyone that wants to upgrade to a larger lift, I am interested in purchasing a set of the 861/862 springs.

Also, how long does it take to swap the springs if you already have shocks in?

Thanks

Cary

92'
Yes, it is.

Actually you can run 33's at stock height. The rub issue comes in at suspension compression. 33's don't hit at the stock stops. Just doing a lift does not alter the stock stops so compressed height is un-changed.

Cary,
Predicting the length of time it takes to do something is almost like asking how long is a piece of string. It depends. :)

If this is your first time doing the springs then allocate about 4 to 6 hours. If the shocks have been off recently then you can be reasonably sure the bolts will come out without problems. The length of time also varies if you have air tools, floor jack, good jack stands, etc.

I can swap all 4 springs in less than 2 hrs now. Less than an hour if I am in a hurry.

-B-

92 cruiser, I have that same setup on mine w/ OME shocks. The ride difference was like night and day.Like all have said, 33's will fit. Mine is stock(read no mods except the OME) and I'll measure mine and post later tonight. I am running 31's but am seriously salivating for some 33's to eat up that gap. The reason I didn't go with 33's to begin with is because I figured the weight of the ARB and M12000 (hopefully, soon) would really eat up that space up front. I could take a pic/s and PM them to you if you want. Don't have any pics uploaded anywhere to post to the board. 8)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=1722;start=msg33781#msg33781 date=1061485914]

Actually you can run 33's at stock height. [/quote]

Dan, is that true for '91-92 and '93-97?

Ed

Ed,

I believe that to be the case. I know it to be so on my 93.

I took a guy through an intermediate trail with 33's and stock suspension a few weeks ago. LOL, he did better than the 60's on 35's. :D Yes, 33's can fit with stock, but I'd stick with 285/75 and not 305/70. :flipoff2:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=1722;start=msg33742#msg33742 date=1061480762]

Go ahead and get the 60011's, you'll have nice cut-outs in them for the Japanese side steps. ;)

[/quote]

Sorry to second guess C-Dan the man but I thought perhaps I wasn't clear in that I still had the flares on. What would I do without this site?????

I'd be buying the wrong parts and cruising around in a dense fog. :-[

It's also really handy having you guys measure the resultant lifts. A guy could go through a few sets of springs & tires until he had it right.

Riley (aka Benie)

Measured my center of hub to flair distance on the 96 80, stock springs, Bilsteins, all stock otherwise, 3/4 tank of gas.

Front: 20.25"
Rear: 20.5"

Looks like the low lift springs would be about 1.25-1.5" lift for me.

Cary

just an example on you should listen to C-Dan :D

Below is a picture of the WRONG..repeat WRONG..flaps that i mistakenly ordered the first time through the dealer :-[ . I retured them for the ones w/out the cutouts. :D

LinkPhoto

[glow=green,2,300]LATER,[/glow]
-Joe-
:p

I have seen front flaps on ebay before too. That is where I picked up mine. Only $40 for the pair. They were a little scuffed, but they are worse now. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom