Lift Install - Raleigh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang,

I'm new to the Land Cruiser world and just recently purchased an FJ62. One of the first upgrades i'm looking to do is a lift kit:

Was curious if anyone had any thoughts about a good place to get this installed in the area? I did a search and saw that East Coast Gear Supply was recommended but it appears it's not something they really do anymore.

Also, would it be worth it to go with the deluxe kit over the basic for the lift?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am all thumbs when it comes to anything mechanical, so if someone had the patience to deal with that... i would greatly appreciate it and I will make you funfetti cupcakes

If there's a good reputable shop in the area, I also don't mind giving them the business

Thank you!

Re: your question regarding the deluxe kit...I looked and it appears it adds, new ubolts, shackles, and greasable pins.

The ubolts are a definite and should be replaced when installing new springs. Shackles and greaseable pins are nice but not a necessity...unless your stock shackles are worn from the previous owners not replacing bushings when worn. The OME steering dampener is a plus but your stock one should work if still functioning properly.

A set of ubolts might run you $125 and if you shackles and such are still usable then you save $325.

Call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for a price check.

He has some downmarket pieces that can save a few dollars of a 100% OME kit.

I will do that! Was looking at the Ultimate Heavy Kit

I called Carolina Offroad and for parts/labor it was going to be around 2600 (unless something unexpected popped up).

I will do that! Was looking at the Ultimate Heavy Kit

I called Carolina Offroad and for parts/labor it was going to be around 2600 (unless something unexpected popped up).
good lord, a few boxes of pizza and someone with a nice garage/lift would make a great mod day :)

Carolina Offroad is good group.

Post pics of 62.

I wonder if I saw your truck in Chapel Hill a few months back - at the parking garage near The Lantern on Franklin?

Good looking!

we used to have HAMOM (help a member, i forget the rest) Are you open to having a bunch of misfits wrench on yer junk? :-D
it wouldn't be the first time? ;)

I wonder if I saw your truck in Chapel Hill a few months back - at the parking garage near The Lantern on Franklin?

Good looking!

that must have been some other good looking man. just got it saturday from maryland!

HAMOM is help a member out meeting. You supply the parts, beer, and pizza and a few guys from the club wrench on your truck. It is an excellent learning opportunity for any Cruiser owner. A HAMOM could be as easy as electrical issues and lift installs to pulling engines. With enough folks anything can be done.

I would be down for helping. I’m no expert but have installed the lifts on all my vehicles by myself.

Get those hands dirty. There is no time like the present. It is kind of funny as I used to have to work on my cars because I couldn't afford anything new or to have anyone work on it. Now that I am at a point in my life that I can afford the nice new shiny rigs, I found that I didn't like having them (as nice as some of the luxuries a new Ram Cummins has). I truly missed having something simple and not over-engineered. The more you work on your own rig, the more you learn about it and love it. The guys on this forum seem to be a bunch of solid guys (I will be reaching out for some help as I build mine myself) and those are the people you want helping you. Thank God for the people that helped me out with what I didn't know over the last 20 years, as I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. This is my first Land Cruiser, but I have built a Jeep and had other Toyotas and I can say that lifts on these older vehicles are pretty straight forward and not too crazy to do. That is the beauty of these. I think you will be stoked after you get together with a couple of the guys and gals and have the pride that you were a part of the process in transforming your rig, vice having a shop do it. Just my $.02, if it's worth anything.

@nutop very nice V8 62 - looks like a full rebuild which might mean the suspension bolts are not rusted and installing a lift would pretty straight forward.

@Cornhusker - agreed. I grew up working on cars and now enjoy. Most people I know have a confused look when you tell them you modded/fixed it yourself.

I definitely don't mind getting my hands dirty. This will really be my first foray in doing something like this and I do want to learn (not only for my own benefit but my wallets).

that being said, i don't have any tools or garage to really work in so I would definitely appreciate the help. i will be more than happy to provide beers, pizza, and baked treats (i used to be a baker, let me get my rocks off).

i'm reaching out to kurt today about getting the parts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom