Lexus LX450 in the shop for ABS issue after differential gear upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the story behind the ABS issue. I recently took my Lexus LX450 to a local shop here at Tucson to get an upgrade to both front and rear differential gears. After the shop had my Lexus for about a week and a half, the shop told me my vehicle was ready. When I got there, I asked if they took out for a spin? The shop manager responded 'yes'. As soon as I left the shop and arrived at a stop, I felt the brakes vibrate (ABS activates) but no light. I thought well maybe vehicle needs to settle down so I continued to drive it back to work. I did notice on some few instances the ABS light did come on but then went away. Unfortunately when I got to work the issue was still there. I called the shop and the manager stated that he would personally look into it when I bring it back. I take my vehicle after work and the manager comes out with his scanner and connects it to the OBDII port and then he selects and ABS function on his scanner but it came up with a communication error. He told me there was a communication error. I left the Lexus at his shop to get it fixed on Monday. I called them today (Friday) and the shop manager informed me they have not fixed the ABS issue and that he has reached out to other shops to use their scanners but apparently he can't find the root cause. He stated that he would reach out to the Lexus dealership and get help on Monday. I know longer have a warm fuzzy.
I'm reaching out to my 80 series community for any suggestions and ideas on how to fix the ABS issue after having the front and rear differential gears upgraded.

So when you say, "differential gears upgraded", do you mean a regear? Like 4.11s or 4.88s?
Or did the ratio stay the same and you went with chromoly gears or something like that?

When my
Brakes started acting like that, the pins that the calipers slide on needed greasing.

Update, I was able to troubleshoot the LX450 using the FSM and determine the root cause for the ABS turns out it was the same thing I told the shop to do in the first place and that was check the ABS sensors and to check for debris. Sure enough the shop had used the DLC which spit out the speed sensor code as the issue. The shop found debris on the sensor and wiped it off and now it is running like a champ. My buddy told me I should have asked for a discount given I troubleshot the problem for them. I’m just content that I can use my rig again.

Update, I was able to troubleshoot the LX450 using the FSM and determine the root cause for the ABS turns out it was debris...
You beat me to it, but when I saw the title, I was gonna suggest that. Anytime you get an ABS code, that's a good first step and very easy to check, too. This is especially so if there was any work/lubing done to the axle.

Update, I was able to troubleshoot the LX450 using the FSM and determine the root cause for the ABS turns out it was the same thing I told the shop to do in the first place and that was check the ABS sensors and to check for debris. Sure enough the shop had used the DLC which spit out the speed sensor code as the issue. The shop found debris on the sensor and wiped it off and now it is running like a champ. My buddy told me I should have asked for a discount given I troubleshot the problem for them. I’m just content that I can use my rig again.
A discount on what or for what?

The best fix for any abs related issues on the 80 series is a part time 4wd conversion.

You beat me to it, but when I saw the title, I was gonna suggest that. Anytime you get an ABS code, that's a good first step and very easy to check, too. This is especially so if there was any work/lubing done to the axle.

Agreed, I've found that usually its something going on with the sensor or they accidently pulled a wire or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom