Lexus LX 470 Gains Power, Adds Enhancements for 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airlaird said:
I'm amazed how many of you take this so personally? These certainly aren't insults to what you've bought, just stating fact, the 100 is underpowered for it's weight. If you're happy with the power no one should be talking about getting a Turbo right?? ( sounds of chirping crickets). ;) come on, 240 h.p in a 5,000 lb. vehicle...ridiculous.
And yes I dont own one...but I do drive one for a company car....a seized 99' courtesy from Uncle Sam.
airlaird

Sorry Airlaird. When I made that Escalade comment I was totally joking. I never expected this outcome to your thread. Since this topic has caught a hold, please allow me to make a few comments about HP "numbers", etc.:

Very common scenario:

Car 1 = 2800 lbs - 5-speed - 180HP
Car 2 = 2800 lbs - 5-speed - 140HP
There are many vehicles with lesser HP that outperform ones with more (AND visa versa). My point, numbers or specs don't always tell the whole story.

Regarding the Cadillac Escalade (based on experience, as I have a friend with one):

Off the line from a stop = Escalade pulls from me easily (though remember I'm mis-geared by 12% with my 35's). I'd guess my buddy would pull from a stock 100 easily too.

On a highway trip...up the long steep grades...stock Escalade with 2 people vs my mis-geared and loaded 100 with 4 people and gear = Neither vehicle can pull away from the other. YES....THE ESCALADE HAD NOTHNG OVER THE 100 ON THE HIGHWAY GRADES. :)

So while the HP "spec" is low, the torque is high and the way the 100 revs and maintains it's torque on the highway, where you need it most (not racing from red lights) is more than adequate IMO.

Would I like more power? Sure, though simply putting me back to stock would be enough. 235HP suits me just fine. :)

And no thanks......no Escalade or Titan motor in my 100. Why take a major step BACKWARDS overall. :)

airlaird said:
I'm amazed how many of you take this so personally? These certainly aren't insults to what you've bought, just stating fact, the 100 is underpowered for it's weight. If you're happy with the power no one should be talking about getting a Turbo right?? ( sounds of chirping crickets). ;) come on, 240 h.p in a 5,000 lb. vehicle...ridiculous.
I agree, the 100 is underpowered but like most of us here, we are willing to sacrifice a that for all the other great aspects of the 100 series. With no load, the 100 series runs around just fine but loaded with a bunch of gear, people or a trailer up a mountain pass and I am wanting more.

airlaird said:
And yes I dont own one...but I do drive one for a company car....a seized 99' courtesy from Uncle Sam.
airlaird

I'm sorry if in general it comes off as personal but what other approach is there to convince someone to open their eyes that even if it is underpowered in comparison it is adequate for the vast majority of peoples needs. It hauls 6 adults easily, tows 6500 lbs easily, goes further offroad than anything else in it's class, rides better than anything else in its class. That being said, concerning your "chirping crickets" I covered this with you already once in this thread. I think the turbo is a great option for those who want more power and again I would like to see a TD or hybrid option. Does it need it? Certainly not for normal operating conditions. If it had 300hp would it do anything better? Yes but how much better, if it already does what it is asked.

Looking at your original post it appears that YOU have taken it personally that the LX doesn't have 300hp. It was a pretty passionately written post for someone who is accusing others of taking it personally. :confused:

It seems, and you probably do not fall into this category airlaird, that most folks with HP complexes and SUV's are the same ones that are to damn dumb to look at more important issues like braking distances of which again the LX still outperforms every vehicle in it's class. The Escalade in particular by over 20 feet! Unfortunately it's just not glamorous information.

And at the low, low price of $90K. Wow.

Base Price: 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged - $89,285 (last update: 4/22/2005)

Hasn't Toyota's history always been to over-engineer something then under-power it. However, that 'under' powering it is undoubtedly what has helped Toyota's reliability and resale, every part isn't being maxed out from the factory. Perfect example a friend has a '00 jxxp grand chokie, from the factory it did ok without overheating, but he added tires, lift and an ARB bumper, all of a sudden it overheats, he takes off said bumper, still overheads, he buys new waterpump, new radiator, new fan, new fan clutch, flushes entire engine (spent 3+ weeks in the jxxp shop) still nothing, they never did figure out why it overheats, but basically the margin for overheating was so close from the factory (4.7L engine crammed into a small engine bay) that any modifications caused it to heatup more and no easy solution to it. So basically from the factory the cooling system was maxed out even without towing or anything.

Side note: This same friend just drove up a LX450 from TX to CO towing a trailer (his wife's sister's vehicle), he had never driven a 80-series before, he kinda liked it. Said it didn't have awesome power and got horrible gas mileage (7-9 usually, he was on the floor almost the entire way), but the temp gauge never moved, he was impressed, since it was loaded down and his jxxp overheats very easily.

mabrodis said:
Hasn't Toyota's history always been to over-engineer something then under-power it. However, that 'under' powering it is undoubtedly what has helped Toyota's reliability and resale, every part isn't being maxed out from the factory. Perfect example a friend has a '00 jxxp grand chokie, from the factory it did ok without overheating, but he added tires, lift and an ARB bumper, all of a sudden it overheats, he takes off said bumper, still overheads, he buys new waterpump, new radiator, new fan, new fan clutch, flushes entire engine (spent 3+ weeks in the jxxp shop) still nothing, they never did figure out why it overheats, but basically the margin for overheating was so close from the factory (4.7L engine crammed into a small engine bay) that any modifications caused it to heatup more and no easy solution to it. So basically from the factory the cooling system was maxed out even without towing or anything.

[snip]...

Somewhere, I read that the reason why the corvette comes w/ factory fill M1 is it was the only way GM could get it to run cool enough (conditions unknown, but let's say Phoenix, as there's a test track there) w/o adding an oil cooler.

Anyways, this is how commercial/military aircraft are also designed...over engineered (redundant systems, etc.) and underpowered (overbuilt), with service lifespans from 20-30 yrs of daily use. I'm guessing a number of automakers push the envelope in their engine designs to extract every last horsepower for marketing hype/sales at the expense of engine/drivetrain longevity. The attitude is, "Who cares if it only lasts 5 yrs?" Plus they know the average buyer isn't going to keep the vehicle over 5 yrs, so even a 1 million mile non-tranferable warranty isn't any different than a 60K mi warranty.

Last edited:
Funny story about the supposedly underpowered 100. I was pulling onto a highway onetime and some person in there big rimmed current generation Denali wanted to go fast and he thought since it was an underpowered LC he would just walk away from me - wrong - we started at 60 mph and he could not pull away and I actually I started to pull away once his speed limiter kicked in. He had the funniest look on his face.

ok - I know suv's are not meant to go fast, blah, blah, blah but the road was empty and I just wanted to see what the 100 would do.

uzj100

ps - the new lr3 rover interiors are sad. It is like a nice ford explorer interior. The RR interior is NICE.

Last edited:
uzj100 said:
Funny story about the supposedly underpowered 100. I was pulling onto a highway onetime and some person in there big rimmed current generation Denali wanted to go fast and he thought since it was an underpowered LC he would just walk away from me - wrong - we started at 60 mph and he could not pull away and I actually I started to pull away once his speed limiter kicked in. He had the funniest look on his face.

ok - I know suv's are not meant to go fast, blah, blah, blah but the road was empty and I just wanted to see what the 100 would do.

uzj100

I always thought you were a law breaker. Having "uzj100" in your forum name gave it away. :D

"breaking the law, breaking the law...I ran over my neighbor..."

hehheheehehehehehehehehehehehehe!

uzj100 said:

uzj100

ps - the new lr3 rover interiors are sad. It is like a nice ford explorer interior. The RR interior is NICE.

You musta had the the ECT in power mode for sure. ;p

macneill said:
You musta had the the ECT in power mode for sure. ;p

Speaking of that.....has ANYBODY...EVER...noticed a difference between ECT settings? I can't tell in the 100, the 80, or the Tacoma. ??? :confused:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Sorry Airlaird. When I made that Escalade comment I was totally joking. I never expected this outcome to your thread. Since this topic has caught a hold, please allow me to make a few comments about HP "numbers", etc.:

No not at all Shotts!! I knew your were joking...I got a laugh out of it! You make a good point, H.p. numbers are easily flawed. Anyway, I was just venting....... just hope no one was offended, i simply think that Toyota has the an underpowered flagship for $65,000. Anyway, I was just visiting..i'll go back to the 80 list...where I belong ;))
airlaird

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Speaking of that.....has ANYBODY...EVER...noticed a difference between ECT settings? I can't tell in the 100, the 80, or the Tacoma. ??? :confused:

I'm no expert on how it or the tranny works, but I notice a change. It feels as though an extra set of "gears" or the ratios are different somehow. Sorta like it's got more gears. I can easily do 4-wheel drifts with it engaged. ;)

I guess. I was as suprised as the dude driving the denali.

uzj100

ECT - My experience with ECT is that it allows the engine to redline and then changes gears.

uzj100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom