Let's see some roof ladders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I fab'd this about week ago after seeing a picture of it on Pinterest when searching for "Overlanding". I drew it in AutoCad, programmed it for CNC machines, formed it and fit and welded it up. It uses a 1500lb ratchet strap to hold it to the tire. I weigh 250lbs and I was not even worried that it would slip once i stepped on it. Very secure! I still need to paint it though.
View attachment 951739 View attachment 951740

You need to make more. I would use this.

Just curious, but on your 80, how do you use your rear ladder with the jerry can holder in the way?

Does it have a split swing out or do you just climb up from the back of it when it's swung out?

I just step on the sides of the basket and onto the ladder. But Sean just designed a dual swingout swingout. The jerry can basket swings away from the ladder to give you full access. I'm trying to get him to sell me the parts so I can retrofit it onto mine :)

summer-2014-008-jpg.924575

summer-2014-004-jpg.924574

What do you plan to lift to the roof? Keep in mind you'll want something that will be stable and sturdy enough to lift your weight PLUS the heaviest thing up there.

I love the OEM D-Pillar Steps for looks, but I question how functional they are if you're my size and trying to lift 33"+ spare up to the roof...

Also, how do you feel about cutting, drilling or welding to the body?

The OE D-Pillar steps have reinforcements spot-welded to the body. The reinforcement has weld-nuts on it. From the outside, there is an aluminum garnish to cover the spot-welds and then the step and a bolt through everything from the outside... Not a terrible idea, especially using the bend of the corner for added strength. I just wish I could find weight limits for them.

This guy's ladder for getting into his truck is trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom