Has anyone installed or seen this? Rear Roof Access step, C-Pillar Troopy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've seen these steps on and off over the past couple years. They are bolt on steps that attach to the rear pillar of a landcruiser for easy access tot he roof.
They are real common on 80 series cruisers and quite a few government 70 series that Is aw in Bolivia. I even saw a set on a troopy today, but it drove off before I could take a closer look. I attached a couple pics of a new troop carrier from Toyota Gibraltar with one installed.

I think they are a great alternative to a ladder. But I do not know of anyone ever installing these steps. I assume maybe welding a nut on the inside of the pillar?

I found the part number for the simple loop step (shown in photos), but I have also seen a folding step version on some toyotas (similar to the photo shown, but this is on a conex). Has anyone else seen this version and maybe know where they came from?

Google doesn't provide much on this topic at all

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1989_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_HJ75RV-MRQ_6151.html

Step Sub-Assy 1 & 2
P/N: 61054 & 61058

Cruiser Step.jpg

Lancrusier step II.jpg

landcruiser2.jpg

ISU 90 Folding Step CONEX.jpg

i'd bet they just drill a hole and put in nut and washer. So all the weight is on the sheet metal. In my 60 I looked in that corner and it's not really accessible. So they have to cut an access point I guess too. I'm not sold on putting weight onto sheet metal or having things drilled thru the body. The UN would not care if they get scuffs or dents on these trucks. To us these trucks are treasures, to them just a tool. Maybe also an african compared to a potato eating North American is a different load for the sheet metal. Where you are in the spectrum of weight load is an unknown… I'm too heavy to stand on sheet metal myself.

That pillar on a cruiser (any series I'm sure) is going to be quite strong. It is however sheet metal. If you made a corner piece step out of 1/4 steel wide enough to distribute the load on the sheet metal and welded it on, you might have a bit better step.

That is a good point, they are definitely seen as tools. But I have also seen these step one well used trucks and the fact they are sold as OEM suggests that however they are installed shouldn't hurt the sheet metal, too much.
I have yet to be able to see what the rear pillar looks like, maybe its more robust on that corner?
I think tack welding a nut and some extra metal backing over wherever I drill the hole may be able to do it.

In the toyota 4runner (Hilux Surfs) that is the only thing that is holding up a swing out tire carrier are several bolts that thread into welded nuts and some extra metal backing.

They would be alright for very occasional use with care if you had the nuts in place, but as mentioned fixing them to the troopy will be the problem since they won't be bolt on until you do some panelbeating to insert and reinforce the nuts. If you're willing to go to that amount of trouble it would actually be easier to just weld a dedicated step with boot-tip protection.

I think with an M6 or M8 riv-nut and hardware, you could easily put a couple-hundred pounds on these steps. I wonder if 61644A and 61642A might be threaded backing plates and 61686 and 61684 are rubber pads?

C-PILLAR STEPS.JPG

I think with an M6 or M8 riv-nut and hardware, you could easily put a couple-hundred pounds on these steps. I wonder if 61644A and 61642A might be threaded backing plates and 61686 and 61684 are rubber pads?
correct on the first ones called 'reinforcement', but according to amayama the outer ones are 'cover, metal jacket', so they should be sturdy once installed. i'm assuming metal jackets will only sit one way and at one height on the body and serve as the guide for drilling the bolt holes.... time will tell.

Thanks. Megazip lists them as 'Ornament' and 'Dust Proof', I think there's something lost in the translation from Japanese, to Russian and then to English...

The ornament is a 1/32" flexible aluminium plate to protect the paint from boot tips. Haven't been able to source the top step yet but I'll just make one if it can't be had.
The backing plate is 1/16" steel and the step steel is 3/32" or 2mm and painted a metalic grey ready to fit.

IMG_20180128_2326536.jpg
IMG_20180128_2327117.jpg
IMG_20180128_2328542.jpg
IMG_20180128_2334031.jpg

In the troopy photos from the OP, it is missing the bottom step but the 'ornament' is in place. I'm hoping to fit the bottom one slightly below in the recess if the backing plate sits nicely there

Will this fit on 71 series? 3door any photo reference would be awesome. Thanks
yes, they should fit any 70 series

here's a picture

Last edited:
That's strange they don't fit as I always thought the curved ridge on the troopy (@ 9cm in photo) was where the 70/71 window return was, as they always make things as modular as possible. If they are the same, you may have them reversed. Either will fit on the bottom, but the bottom one is wider.
Check with these measurements to see if your pillar is indeed narrower. The ruler starts at the middle of the curve between flat sections.
IMG_20190816_1448557.jpg

The ornament is a 1/32" flexible aluminium plate to protect the paint from boot tips. Haven't been able to source the top step yet but I'll just make one if it can't be had.
The backing plate is 1/16" steel and the step steel is 3/32" or 2mm and painted a metalic grey ready to fit.

View attachment 1621540

Which retainer and ornament is for the lower step?

Any indication that can’t be used for both left and right side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom