Let the ideas flow! Bulletproof 60, that will NEVER rust? my restoration (I think) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

uuuuugh, what a depressing thread.

I agree with you it is really depressing but all that matters is the love for your cruiser!!! mine is starting to rust on the rear cuarter pannels and some doors but I'm not planning to sell it or replace it. my cruiser was bought brand new from my father and the cruiser is a part of the story of the family so I'll do what I can to keep it till the end of my years as good as I can.

all we need is some patience and money fellas!!! but the most important think is the love for our cruisers...

:cheers: for the rusty's but reliable 60's!!!!:beer:

Don't even get me started on the "won't rust" Mg salt they started using in Oregon 7-8 years ago. I've owned 100% rust free 60's (5) before that time, now I'm just happy I have a rust free parts rig sitting. The DD has rust in the A-pillar, rear frame rails. Now my sliders and many other things are showing surface rust - thank you South Lake Tahoe for spreading liquid salt evertime the sky has a cloud.

I sanded down my truck with 36 grit, welded in new areas, then sandblasted the welds. Painted the whole thing with POR-15... the whole thing.

I sand blasted the doors and painted inside and out with POR-15 too. Painted all with Tie coat then top coated.

I painted the roof too.

I just finished patching and painting mine and another 60
http://nfcruiserheads.org/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

After many years experience restoring old cars, my opinion is the best way to patch metal is with metal. If the contact points between the patch and body are welded fairly continuous, the longer it will take for the patch to seperate.
Fiberglass, Aluminum or other materials seem to seperate from the steel sooner.
Like Brownbear, I welded, then sandblasted the welds and POR'd the backside.
My first coat of filler was duraglass because it's not porous like bondo and moisture won't pull through the welded or patched areas from the inside.

I painted over my sandblasted weld with POR, even on the front side. Then I used restogrip por filler to smooth out the edges. Sanded the whole area with 120 grit, then used the tie coat primer. My hopes were to seal the welds really well.

You know it is possible to powder coat over galvanizing.... this method is used for applications where durablity for 50-100 years is desired, like bridges for example. I have an article in PDF published by the American Galvaniazers Association somewhere...

I have considered doing this to the frame I am building up for my canadian HJ.

You need to ask yourself what you want.A sweet Land cruiser or a wheeler.Sounds like you need to search for a nice one with alot of miles on it and install all the new parts you have or buy a real sweet cruiser and keep the other one and modify the s*** out of it and make it a monster wheeler.What ever you do , you are going to spend lots of money.That's what I love about this country, the freedom to do what we choose.Good luck, Dave

I'm not sure if they make aftermarket aluminum body panels for the FJ60, but it would be worth looking into. I replaced my old body tub with an aftermarket aluminum one and have not had any regrets. Once that rust kicks in, it is VERY hard to control it... Good luck.

i say get the body work done first. just find the right guy, do as much prepwork as you can and get the body done. SOA isnt that expensive if youcan do it yourself or with a friend, and will sit nice if you have sagged springs. And then do the interior later. You can take your time and figure out exactly which seats carpet console etc. you want and do it yourself.

and if you never want to see rust again:
http://www.erps.com.au/contents.php?Pid=2&Sid=4

i say get the body work done first. just find the right guy, do as much prepwork as you can and get the body done. SOA isnt that expensive if youcan do it yourself or with a friend, and will sit nice if you have sagged springs. And then do the interior later. You can take your time and figure out exactly which seats carpet console etc. you want and do it yourself.

and if you never want to see rust again:
http://www.erps.com.au/contents.php?Pid=2&Sid=4

they have something like that in Canada now too...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...4443292139&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom