LED Crazy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: I hooked up a dimmer switch to the George map light and it works awesome. Here's a picture of the switch.

http://www.brian894x4.com/images/ExpeditionLCInterior055xx.JPG

I can't remember the company off the top of my head, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread so I thought I'd give their dimmer switch a try.

I can cut the brightness to about 20-30% of full power and then go up from there to 100% with the dial. Anything less than that and the LED just shuts off, so it doesn't have an infinante dimming ability.

This makes it much nicer when I'm driving and my passenger or I need to use the map light. The map light is SUPER bright and really nice, but when driving its a lot nicer not to be blinded.

I'm not sure how this dimmer affects the circuitry or the longevity of the light, but so far, so good.

attachment.php

97, the bulb on the right looks interesting,

Is there any regulation?
where is it from?
any more info?

John,

Good stuff!
If it hasn't been stated already in the thread, would you mind letting us know where one can acquire these nifty lights that you've picked up?

Are these compatible with those used in the 80?

PM on the way, too.

TIA!

Mot

The LEDs were purchased from superbrightleds.com. SBL list the specs on their LEDs and most can be installed with reverse polarity - useful for the turn signal applications. I have some older LEDs purchased from autolumination.com. The LEDs from autolumination have no performance spec and I had 1 DOA within a week (no warranty) and two failed within 3 years.

If you have trouble ordering the LEDs in Japan, let me know and I'll get them to you!

John

Yep - but you have my original Luxeon modules from oh so long ago....

I now use Seoul LEDs in my dome/maplight modules (Cree die) - much brighter than the original LEDs I used back then :)

cheers,
george.

Oh - oh, anyone interested in purchasing some gently used Luxeon LED modules? :)

I should have posted earlier as I was in SJC this week and could have met up with you!

Update: I hooked up a dimmer switch to the George map light and it works awesome. Here's a picture of the switch.

http://www.brian894x4.com/images/ExpeditionLCInterior055xx.JPG

I can't remember the company off the top of my head, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread so I thought I'd give their dimmer switch a try.

I can cut the brightness to about 20-30% of full power and then go up from there to 100% with the dial. Anything less than that and the LED just shuts off, so it doesn't have an infinante dimming ability.

This makes it much nicer when I'm driving and my passenger or I need to use the map light. The map light is SUPER bright and really nice, but when driving its a lot nicer not to be blinded.

I'm not sure how this dimmer affects the circuitry or the longevity of the light, but so far, so good.

I wonder if the OEM dash dimmer switch would work with George's map LED module? It would make the dash look OEM!

attachment.php

97, the bulb on the right looks interesting,

Is there any regulation?
where is it from?
any more info?

I have no clue if the LED module has current regulation - If I were to guess, it would be NO as it cost $4.95 from SBL. The spec from their website sez 31 Lumens and AD/DC with 360 degree viewing angle.

For backup (reverse) illumination, I had a pair of 50 watt halogen bulbs from Pep Boys (a regional auto parts chain) in the OEM tail lights housing with minimal increase in light output. When I switched to the LED crystal clear/red tail light housing from Mot, the crystal lens had a lot most useful light from the same 50 watt halogen bulbs .
LED Taillight.JPG

I did some led dome light mods today. I used these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119932 (the white model) and installed them into the dome light and under the dashboard.

Looks good and a easy install if you can soldier. I soldiered the wires from the lights into the original dome light. Had to trim the plastic a little to be able to put the cover back on the dome light. These are much brighter than the normal bulb.

DSCF8657.jpg

The light before installation.

DSCF8653.jpg

Fits nicely in there after i trimmed the plastic in the bottom of the domelight a bit. Glued in with hot-glue gun.

DSCF8659.jpg

Much brighter than before.

DSCF8660.jpg

Also added lights under the dashboard. Sorry for the bad focus. These turn on with the dome light in the top.

Much brighter inside the truck now than before. I have one light left, i´m thinking about installing it on the plastic cover over the rear view mirror.

Hmmm... what a lovely thread. Actually I am very involved in LED products as it's my hobby. If you ever need any products then I can guide you to a friend of mine who sells high power LEDs and drivers to power them. I bought from him quite a long time ago and the driver was around $8 and the LEDs were around $5. You would just need to solder a few cables and you have your light ready. I will post some more info but I am still away from home.

I did some led dome light mods today. I used these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119932 (the white model) and installed them into the dome light and under the dashboard.

Looks good and a easy install if you can soldier. I soldiered the wires from the lights into the original dome light. Had to trim the plastic a little to be able to put the cover back on the dome light. These are much brighter than the normal bulb.

(Images Links Deleted).

Much brighter inside the truck now than before. I have one light left, i´m thinking about installing it on the plastic cover over the rear view mirror.

Haffi,

Did you wire the dioder LED lights from Ikea directly into the car or thru a voltage converter? Are they 12V?

Now, if someone could figure out how to tie all dome lights + map light with the door switches, then all would be golden!!!

I just installed the 31mm High Power LED Festoon with 2 LEDs from SBL. It was no brighter than the stock 10W bulb and much dimmer than George's LED.
3022-WHP2_mm.jpg

I ended it putting this LED light in my other vehicle as George's LED would not fit the dome light of that car. It does draw much less current than the incandescent bulbs.

Bringing this thread back to ask the question; has anyone found/used an off-the-shelf readily available bulb/lamp that is brighter than a standard 1157 brake light bulb/lamp?

LED upgades

ok, will there be a sticky on the Faqs that lists what is the best uprade for each type of light? there's tons of good info here. I do have one question, what about the type 74 bulb in the glove box. Mine is out, any suggestions on a brighter replacement?

Also as for the SBL door replacements, i have them and agree there is not alot of ground illumination from them, is it feasible to add another light off the existing harness in the door of the same type, so it would be recessed into the bottom of the door pointing straight down. or would that cause problems?

As far as adding the a light to the rear cargo area, possible recessed into the C pillar area to direct light onto the tailgate area, with a switch. Any suggestions on a Toyota interior light module (year, model, maybe even a source) that might fit? Preferably i'd run it off the same harness that supports the Rear Cargo light, and maybe in the perfect world i could get one of Georges LED's in there. Once again is this even feasible or is that too much of a draw?

I've seen the addition of lights done in the rear but would like to keep everything looking like the factory did it.

I do have one question, what about the type 74 bulb in the glove box. Mine is out, any suggestions on a brighter replacement?

SBL has a 360 degree 74 LED replacement (74-WHP3) It is so much brighter than the stock 74 bulb.

As far as adding the a light to the rear cargo area, possible recessed into the C pillar area to direct light onto the tailgate area, with a switch. Any suggestions on a Toyota interior light module (year, model, maybe even a source) that might fit? Preferably i'd run it off the same harness that supports the Rear Cargo light, and maybe in the perfect world i could get one of Georges LED's in there. Once again is this even feasible or is that too much of a draw?

I've seen the addition of lights done in the rear but would like to keep everything looking like the factory did it.

I followed Jim's mod and used a regular dome light in the cargo area to keep the stock look. I did install George's LED in the light module for more light.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/43073-rear-cargo-light-install.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom