Leaving the PI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ca./S.C. Now living in the Philippines Moving back
Hi guys, I have not been around for a long time and missed reading and learning from guys like Pighead and many many others. Well the wife and are will be leaving the Philippines July 17 and I have a buyer for my 40 lined up for this weekend at a selling price of $5500. Murphyism is lurking. The truck has been running great until last night. I was delivering some stuff we sold to help fund our trip back to the USA and the thing would not run unless I gave it the gas like crazy and as soon as I left of it died. I choke it a little and it fires right back up but again dies as I let off of the gas. I saw an old post where the Accelerator pump should activate reasonably easy but in watching mine is moves extremely slow. WD-40? Petroleum Jelly? I could keep searching I know but I am in a hurry and figure out situation to get this puppy running before Saturday. I need this money BAD to begin our new lives in the Redding Cali area near Shasta Lake. Love Cali as I was born there but hate the politics. No place like home to be buried. Been away 5 years now.:confused: Sorry I forgot, it is a 79 2F with a stock Asin Carb no smog and points dizzy. No idle Solenoid just as simple as it can be. A Heiz 57 40 I know but a good solid truck for bombing around the PI's

Thanks for all of the past help!

Rob
DSC05381.jpg

Last edited:
BTW. I just installed a new fuel filter and I am running an electric fuel pump as a mechanical is next to impossible to find here. But fuel delivery seems good. The is no strainer screen in the carb that could stop up but I really cannot see a jet of gas in the carb when I pump it by hand but I do see a fog of gas and smell it. Almost dark and no one to assist Lol

There should be a visible stream of gas when you operate the throttle. Is the fuel level in the middle of the bowl? Fuel filters can clog in a matter of minutes if there's schmutz in the tank. I'd replace it again with a clear one so you can see what's going on.

That's a really nice looking truck. I'd bet you could get twice that if you imported it and sold it on eBay.

JohnnyC I tried the WD-40 and not sure if it really made a difference. I finally got it to idle after resetting the points and cleaning the plugs but it will only idle at almost full choke and curd idle turned up. As soon as I push in the choke it dies. Almost sounds like the primaries in the carb are clogged. As it does more sitting the last few months than using. And thank you for the Veteran Comment. Been away from home in Cali since 1972. Time to go back.

edwjmcgrath thanks for the looks comment. I built this thing all by my lonesome and tough and fun it was! Exporting from here is outrageous around $3000 + If you can get the customs guys to cooperate and having to give them more money on the side to finance their whole family. Most guys I know just gave up and left the 40's or other vehicles here. Some have made it but not worth the time, aggravation and money imho.

Rob,

If you were just working on the fuel system recently i.e. new pump etc then I'd just pull the carb and get the jets a good look over. My bet is that some stuff got in there. May even be at the float needle. Can you give any more info like does is starve out when cruising of will it just not run in any condition? I've never been into an aisin carb but I have been thru just about every other make. It can't be that different.

You said there is no screen at the carb- is your fuel filter upstream or downstream of the electrical pump? You can flip the filter and back flush it into a clear bottle to see if it is full of crap but I'd bet its not if you have never had that issue before and you just changed it. If not and if your sure that the ignition is set up right then..... Better get out your good screwdrivers and a couple of cold beers.

Pete

Before you tear the carb apart, do two things:
Make sure your ignition is working right. Points clean, timing right, solid spark.
Do a search on here for 'okie rebuild'. I've had luck doing that and opening up clogged jets before.
You never answered whether your bowl is half full.

And, your truck looks even better in the other photos. If you have any interest, I know a guy who does importing from the PI to the west coast and has done several vehicles and for a lot less than that. Drop me a PM if interested.

Get that thing figured out yet? A friend took his pickup into the dealer to trade it in and the heater core blew just as he was pulling in. Needless to say that buggered his chances of a decent trade in. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you bringing that rig back with you? It'd be worth far more here I would think and we need more on our shores. As a returning citizen you will not even pay any taxes bringing it in and it will be easy-peasy.

As someone who lived in Australia for seven years and has now returned home to the US - welcome home!

Josh

6 am here now, I did get it running last night without having to keep my size 13 on the gas BUT it would only run at almost full choke and curb idle ran up. As soon as I pushed the choke in it died. Wrapped it up and came inside as it was dark and the mosquitoes was trying to carry me down the street not to mention a back ache. I didn't get it running enough last night to check the sight glass level on the carb but my wife will be home today so I'll have her man the gas. I cleaned the plugs which are all but new and set them at my usual .028 and checked the points gap and set at .018. This rig does have a ballast resistor on the coil and I have had an old school 327 SBC with a bad ballast start up and run and die when I let off of the gas but eventually burned the points up (didn't take long). Will be checking more in depth today. As far as bringing it back to the USA, as I said we are moving back to California and this is a Non smogged engine and a 1979 with stock Aisin Carb Non USA and points dizzy. So in short, it would not pass smog and not being a 74 and below I cannot escape the smog meaning, having it smogged, carb changed, or basically changing out the whole engine for a later with all the necessary required parts. Will let you guys know what happens as far as getting her running and thanks for the welcome homes and advice and ideas!

Roboosfj40s said:
6 am here now, I did get it running last night without having to keep my size 13 on the gas BUT it would only run at almost full choke and curb idle ran up. As soon as I pushed the choke in it died. Wrapped it up and came inside as it was dark and the mosquitoes was trying to carry me down the street not to mention a back ache. I didn't get it running enough last night to check the sight glass level on the carb but my wife will be home today so I'll have her man the gas. I cleaned the plugs which are all but new and set them at my usual .028 and checked the points gap and set at .018. This rig does have a ballast resistor on the coil and I have had an old school 327 SBC with a bad ballast start up and run and die when I let off of the gas but eventually burned the points up (didn't take long). Will be checking more in depth today. As far as bringing it back to the USA, as I said we are moving back to California and this is a Non smogged engine and a 1979 with stock Aisin Carb Non USA and points dizzy. So in short, it would not pass smog and not being a 74 and below I cannot escape the smog meaning, having it smogged, carb changed, or basically changing out the whole engine for a later with all the necessary required parts. Will let you guys know what happens as far as getting her running and thanks for the welcome homes and advice and ideas!

If you want to register her in NM I'm happy to help!

Well got it running but when I did the Okie Rebuild it popped an oil leak on the timing gear cover which I fixed ha ha! Found the PCV valve completely stopped up but replaced now. Problem is I have to run it almost full choke to the point that it burns my eyes with exhaust. I tweaked the card some and still ahve to have the curb idle up and gas in the carb window is half way. Good fuel delivery and runs strong until I push the choke in then she dies. I really hate to think at this point of the game I will have to pull the carb. Rebuild kits for these things are just not around. :( Bad part is I have 2 to 3 days max before my buyer shows up which is the same guy I got it from in the first place back when it was a project truck.

I can't find a vacuum gauge around here dang it all! I am suspecting a vacuum leak now hence running almost full choke.

Did you talk about selling your rig within earshot of it? Common mistake...
If accelerator pump moves too slowly, check linkage, but maybe the leather part of the inside of the pump is curling up...might need to pull the top off the carb and take a look.
No idle solenoid? shoot, that was my other guess...

And he mentioned early on that these were necessary funds to get his ass home. Of course after all this he would love to have it land in CA with him but that is not possible from what I glean from his post. But I have to ask, if this was the guy that you bought it from surely he has some cruiser sympathy and wants it back especially after all you've done to it. If we have to set up a paypal account to get your as back on terra firma good old USA I'm in for a couple of bucks. I've followed all of your PI adventures as well as your posts and would welcome a veteran back to our shores. Let us know what we can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom