Leaning Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mr

Threads
I put new springs ,shocks,shackles, and bushings in my FJ40 last fall then parked it for the winter. It was not on perfect level ground but close. Now it seems to keep leaning to the drivers side. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

You may need to do what I did. I took the old front spring pack out and pulled the leaves apart. I took the thickest one in the pack and cut it down the the exact length of my spring perch (on the axle). I got a longer center pin and bolted it to the top of my Skyjacker spring. Took about 3-4" of an inch out of my Cruiser lean. Might give it a shot. L8tr!

Oops...meant to say 3/4" of an inch not 3-4" :D

Otherwise known as axle shimming. I have a long and complete writeup on this procedure saved from a knowledgable former cruiser owner at the SOR forum, if you would like to see it. Fairly simple to do.

Sure, any help would be appreciated.

If it's a post 74 cruiser that has the spare tire on the driver side take the tire off  :flipoff2: there is your solution

I had a spring/blacksmithing shop make me one extra leaf for my drivers side rear pack. Cleared the problem right up, and still has the same spring rate... I think the drivers side frame is close to 200 lbs heavier than the pass. side... before you or your spare. IMO spring shims just cover up the lean in appearance, but don't correct the issue,... which is spring rate.
Use my opinions at your own risk. :D
WILL

Go to this link: http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/booktoylancr.html

and go down the page to read an article from The Gold Portfolio on Land Cruisers on this subject.

MAF has shims for different landcruisers, although I am sure anyone with the resources could build them. And there is a Toyota part number for the shim, so perhaps it is available from them.

According to this article, the problem did not involve the springs, and switching them from left to right did not resolve or reverse the slant. However, shimming the correct spring does fix (or compensate for) the problem. Shim length, as well as thickness, seems to be important. The slant occurs on vehicles with the spare on either side, so that doesn't seem to be the cause. A theory espoused in the article is that it has to do with the fact that the original frame was designed for a RHD vehicle, but the toyota mechanic didn't reference any source. I have read elsewhere that the slant occurs on RHD vehicles as well.

Perhaps our resident Cruzertech has some insight?!

Mine leans to the left, But I always have thought it was Cambering of the road. I also have the spare on the left.
On the front, The right is lower than the left. ???

Solution: Park it for the winter or summer so it leans the opposite direction. Leave it. Problem Solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom