Leaking head gasket, what about..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
What's your thoughts on using a ceramic/copper coolant system sealer to stop leaks (eg. head gaskets, cracks or holes in a head or block, radiator leaks, etc.)? I used it to stop a huge coolant leak in a high mileage car I once owned (steam and coolant blowing out the exhaust pipe). I was preparing to tear it down when a mechanic friend suggested I give a ceramic/copper sealer a try, and to my utter amazement, it stopped the leak in about 10 minutes. We drove the car another 15K and I gave it to a relative that is still driving it (current odo 192K).

Wayne S

Do you really want to clog up the cooling system with sealant?

Ceramic/copper coolant system sealer will not clog up the coolant system if used as directed :D. It will clog it up if the glycol isn't drain out before the sealer is put in :whoops:.

I agree the best fix is to repair or replace the defective part, but that isn't always an option due to time, money, skills, etc..

Wayne S :cheers:

Pitbull, that is the stuff. I used another name brand (Seal-Up) I believe it was, but it is the same stuff. It was amazing. My car was leaking so bad I was afraid to even start it (coolant blowing out the exhaust). I never did tear the engine down, but I'm amost positive it was an intake mainfold gasket leak. I followed the instructions to the letter, and within 10 minutes idling at operating temp, the leak was sealed. I never experience another problem with it leaking. :D

Wayne, I don't know if this would happen but I wonder if this stuff when it was fixing the head gasket leak if it would weld the head onto the block :eek: ??? Guess it would not be a problem if you were looking for a one time fix but if you were looking to keep it forever that might be a problem.

Wayne,

I agree that you had some good experiences with it but I would be personally to scared to run with my beloved truck and rely on such a magic thing. Better repair it professionally.

Mike

One thought on this is that it coats the whole inside of the engine, thus adding another layer of insluation to the inside of the block. Thus not allowing heat to transfer to the coolant and allowing a build up of heat on the other side of the cermic. Could cause a potential melt down of a cylinder bore if you any problems inside the engine. That said I did use it once on my own truck with a steel head gasket that had a slight leak. work great was still running after 60kmiles on that engine. later robbie

From what I understand, it needs the kind of heat you get from being next to the actual combustion. Didn't look to me that it would coat the entire engine as there wouldn't be enough heat elsewhere to cause the weld. I've got 125k on my truck and travel quite a bit. I'm thinking it would at least get me home even if I was several hundred miles out.

This sealer is activated by oxygen (aerobic) and the process is excelerated by heat (thermal). It doesn't seal/coat except in the presence of oxygen, eg. at the crack, hole, gasket leak, etc..

Again, the best "fix" is to tear the thing down and repair or replace the defective part. But, in the event that this is impossible at the time........ this stuff is a great alternative, especially in an emergency........ when time and money is short.

Wayne I would think it would be a good fix if it will give you a couple of more years out of the LC for very few $$ and then sell it and buy a new LC. I would do it if I was going to buy a 100 in a couple of years and not wanting to invest $$ into the old 80 that I would not get back.

Pitbull, I agree with your logic...... also, for guys that for whatever the reason, can't tear their Cruiser down at the time, using this product will give them some needed time.

Wayne S

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=9854;start=msg88376#msg88376 date=1073770300]
Wayne I would think it would be a good fix if it will give you a couple of more years out of the LC for very few $$ and then sell it and buy a new LC. I would do it if I was going to buy a 100 in a couple of years and not wanting to invest $$ into the old 80 that I would not get back.
[/quote]

Long as your not planning on selling it to another IH8Mudder :slap:

If it can last for eight years just sell it to E9999. He still will be looking for one. I just hope he doesn't ask us what is it worth in the real world. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Eric,
For the record, Phil said that, not Beowulf. :D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom