Leak from clutch cover area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bet someone used a screwdriver to pry that old pan off at some point. New one looks good! I did the same thing with my clutch cover.

The correct part number is 12101-61013

You also need: 90341-12012 and 90430-12031

But your parts expert should know that already.

Hey guys,

Have an '85 FJ60 that I took into the local body shop to repair a bit of rust above the gutters.

Few weeks later the guy called and said 'job's done' but the clutch is hitting the floor.

I've had the truck for 5+ years; never had an issue.

Looked under to find that the rubber plug at the bottom of the clutch cover is missing - oil/brake fluid all over the bottom of the cover.

Long story short - no fluid = clutch doesn't work = finished truck is still at the shop.

Does anyone know a part number for that rubber plug?

*SIDEBAR - I had the truck into this shop a few years ago for another touch-up. It was returned with a busted (and poorly glued back together) side mirror. When asked about it, the guy said "that wasn't like that?". Feel free to commence with the 'what a dumba**' commentary re: my decision to bring it back.

The clutch should not have fluid in it. There’s a bigger problem than missing that rubber dust cap.

@LoveToasters
That little loose fitting dust plug stuck in the hole of the clutch cover under the truck isn't supposed to be liquid tight. It's just a dust plug. SOR has a replacement if you want to pay $12 in shipping. Or jamb a piece of foam in the hole.
The inside of the clutch cover often collects oil from the leaking input shaft seal and or the weeping bearing retainer gasket. Very common. The reason that the plug isn't tight is to let any accumulating oil drip out.

The reason your clutch pedal went to the floor is likely because the master cylinder or slave cylinder seal/s blew. Replace them both and you should be good to go.

Take a peek at the slave cylinder piston rod. Make sure it's nestled in the clutch fork.

Last edited:
@LoveToasters
That little loose fitting dust plug stuck in the hole of the clutch cover under the truck isn't supposed to be liquid tight. It's just a dust plug. SOR has a replacement if you want to pay $12 in shipping. Or jamb a piece of foam in the hole.
The inside of the clutch cover often collects oil from the leaking input shaft seal and or the weeping bearing retainer gasket. Very common. The reason that the plug isn't tight is to let any accumulating oil drip out.

The reason your clutch pedal went to the floor is likely because the master cylinder or slave cylinder seal/s blew. Replace them both and you should be good to go.

Take a peek at the slave cylinder piston rod. Make sure it's nestled in the clutch fork.

Thanks a bunch! I'll check those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom