leaf springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok i got the mfin spring pins out and the rear leaf springs off but the one is busted so i ordered an add a leaf to replace it...but how do i get the spring pack apart, i know ya take the center bolt out but what about the pins going with the metal that raps around the leaf spring? they just look like they are pressed in there??? thanks agian-al

They are only attached to the one spring with the rivet. Just open up the wrap and everything comes apart. Yo umight want to use heat. I just took a cold chisel and got a BFH. I have heard of them breaking though...

what can i say i'm a wussy

Which leaf is busted? I've got a rear pack with a busted main, remainder of leafs look OK. I replaced all with a BDS lift. You can have the remains of that spring. I've already given one front away and I'm keeping one front and one rear as spares for the '84.

I put add a leaf's in mine about two years before the main snapped. If I was you I wouldn't be spending too much on 22 year old springs.

One tip is to hold the pack together with Vice Grips or C-Clamps when you unbolt the center pin.

THat keeps it all together nicely.

There won't be much pressure keeping old spring packs together, but if you take leafs out of new packs like I just did, the spring pack is in a bind and if you don't hold it together, it will spray leafs all over the garage.

(Don't ask me how i know this :eek: )

:banana:

[quote author=wngrog link=board=1;threadid=8148;start=msg69303#msg69303 date=1070203064]
One tip is to hold the pack together with Vice Grips or C-Clamps when you unbolt the center pin.

THat keeps it all together nicely.

There won't be much pressure keeping old spring packs together, but if you take leafs out of new packs like I just did, the spring pack is in a bind and if you don't hold it together, it will spray leafs all over the garage.

(Don't ask me how i know this :eek: )

:banana:
[/quote]

c-clamp works well to SQUWISH the spring after you add the add-a-leaf so you can rebolt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom