LCLC HAM Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to find the time in all the other things I need to do to study and test for my General at some point.

Anything new from the local guys???

Nah, bought another cheap handheld because I didn't like the range on my older Baofeng. The new one isn't remarkably better.

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 2.44.14 PM.png

Dont know how many of yall are ready to upgrade....

Last week helped a new local ham with an HF dipole i had laying around from a storm. Used the drone to drop tag line in trees, and raised the antenna in 15min. Not using the tennis ball gun anymore. Now i have some incentive to get back on HF, and finish all my antenna projects.

That's awesome, another use for drones

screenshot_20181006-162224_instagram-jpg.1805150

Just having some HF qrp fun

I joined the Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club and got my little hand held hitting the repeaters with a few of those guys help! I had some time play with it during Florence and wanted to learn in case of emergency, but I wasn't able to get the repeater. I finally got the right settings programmed and was able to talk to someone in Rock Hill and Beaufort. They're having Beachfest/ Hamfest just a few miles from my house on Oct. 27 so I'm gonna try to find a cheap used base station and antenna for my shop. I was thinking about just getting a higher quality hand held and power supply and swap them back and forth between the trucks and shop, but I'll probably just get a used HT that is FCC part 90 compliant to use in the truck for the trails and a dedicated little base. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of antenna setup, or used HT or base to look for? I will probably stay with just the Technician license for a while and tune into 144/440. I need something simple and easy to operate and not too expensive! I don't have an HOA so I can put up an antenna on a pole on by my metal building/ Ham shack / man shed.

Thanks!

Id get one of the 3 (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom), no china radios. Many China radios ive purchased and been very dissatisfied, just them away.

Diamond CP22E is a good aluminum 2m antenna, get it as high as you can will yield best results.

Yaesu FT-2980R is going to be my next 2m mobile/base rig.

Nice Power supply switching or solid state, more amps for future is good always.

Shoot me a Msg if you need any help...

Last edited:
Great conversation with Scott this morning.

I will give same courtesy to everyone here. Need help or just want more Amateur Radio info or want to talk. Ill talk

Shoot me a Msg and ill fwd my email and #

I am no elmer by any standards, but willing to share what ive learned.

I will be doing Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) with local scouts at Camp Moultrie BSA this Saturday...
Share the hobby..

Good for you, I will get my hand held out of the 62 and carry it with me to Poinsett State Park. I'll be up there with the troop this weekend.
Do you know what channel @BenMara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom