Events/Trails LCDC8 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those attending LCDC - did you notice those beautiful blue waters of Peru Creek and the Snake River? The pristine river bottom, free of algae? The brilliant white and red rocks that line the river?

We saw these today on the Peru Creek run, and I thought it was all glorious. Then I started reading about it and learned that what we're seeing is actually acidic, polluted water that will not support native fish or microbiota. (Any fish you find in the Snake River has been stocked.) The red rocks are stained with iron oxide and the white rocks are stained with aluminum oxide. The beautiful blue water is actually full of heavy metals, zinc, copper, and such.

If you drive up Peru Creek to see the old silver mine, consider that the mine's tailings and waste rock have increased exposure of naturally-occurring pyrite to oxygen, which then undergoes a chemical reaction and produces sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid leaches metals out of the ground and those end up in the river. This process of acid drainage into the river is a natural process, but the mining apparently turbo-charges it.

Anyway, I'm not really a tree hugger, but I thought that was interesting to know the story behind why the river looks like that.

Those attending LCDC - did you notice those beautiful blue waters of Peru Creek and the Snake River? The pristine river bottom, free of algae? The brilliant white and red rocks that line the river?

We saw these today on the Peru Creek run, and I thought it was all glorious. Then I started reading about it and learned that what we're seeing is actually acidic, polluted water that will not support native fish or microbiota. (Any fish you find in the Snake River has been stocked.) The red rocks are stained with iron oxide and the white rocks are stained with aluminum oxide. The beautiful blue water is actually full of heavy metals, zinc, copper, and such.

If you drive up Peru Creek to see the old silver mine, consider that the mine's tailings and waste rock have increased exposure of naturally-occurring pyrite to oxygen, which then undergoes a chemical reaction and produces sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid leaches metals out of the ground and those end up in the river. This process of acid drainage into the river is a natural process, but the mining apparently turbo-charges it.

Anyway, I'm not really a tree hugger, but I thought that was interesting to know the story behind why the river looks like that.
Thanks for the info. We were talking about how white the rocks were.

We were wondering the same thing! Thanks for this info.

Had a great time on Red Cone today as well—I was pretty nervous about it after the rain, but indycole calmed the nerves at the welcome event. It was a great chance to challenge myself and learn from some experienced individuals—the descent was an absolute thrill

E9IQk24_d.webp

IDhOs0u_d.webp

IfyqLMi_d.webp

R2dhXPU_d.webp

jraZY8i_d.webp

p4dtijk_d.webp

1CgdD6n_d.webp

We had a great group on Red Cone today. Everyone did a great job driving!
Thanks for letting my wife use your phone, and thanks for all the spotting!

Today, I can officially say that I’m no longer a mall-crawler! Somehow I left LCDC unscathed last year, but now I have pin stripes, wheel damage, and some bruises on the sliders!

2D1BC8E0-AD5B-4EC1-8DB5-FE344E7BC472.jpeg

8F98E524-F66D-420E-934E-5DDF61AFFC73.jpeg

ECCDA84A-0887-4784-AA7A-ACBEED986677.jpeg

489211E5-8D3B-4B91-9A36-0C5401126C31.jpeg

Last edited:
A few pics from North Fork run yesterday. Thanks to Aaron for a great run!

E8BEF99F-62DF-46CF-ABB8-1C83888701C9.jpeg
8D3AEA92-EC50-4FF9-8FE5-991698FF77E9.jpeg
4FB1F3A9-5F85-436A-891B-3B5D8491D6D3.jpeg

4C74ED67-93A5-43B5-8FA9-A333CE8F8B20.jpeg

Question for the folks you ran Mosquito Pass the last two days: how long has this taken time wise? I know this can vary a lot and tomorrow is supposed to rain. Just trying to gauge time the best I can.

Question for the folks you ran Mosquito Pass the last two days: how long has this taken time wise? I know this can vary a lot and tomorrow is supposed to rain. Just trying to gauge time the best I can.
I didn't run with this group, but the mosquito part is relatively fast depending on how often you stop for pictures etc. It's the getting down Birdseye that can take time and then coming back from Leadville.

Today Mosquito Pass/Birdseye Gulch took 4 hours at an average speed of 3.4 mph according to my OnX track. The distance was 13.3 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom