Events/Trails LCDC 7 - Summer 2021 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc- I see what you are saying. I still get a bit puckered on trails I have run 10 times. The start of Hells Revenge in Moab as you go up over the hump always puckers me a bit.

I was wrong to sate there is zero pucker. What I was trying to communicate is along as you pay attention, there shouldn't be any issues. The original question was on equipment and I don't see that as a limitation on these trails

So I am leading one of the Imogene runs on Friday. I will be on the radio telling folks as we go over something if they need to be concerned with something. I will stop and help anyone who is nervous or needs a spot

The key here is you are part of a guided trail run with communications between the vehicles. Any issue or concern can be discussed and like bloc said you just follow the vehicle in front of you.

If in the drivers meeting you tell me you are nervous, I will put you between two more experienced drivers.

As a trail leader along with my gunner (My daughter) it is our responsibility to ensure you a safe and fun run. Although I don't take a legal liability, I do take a personal one to help you enjoy the day any way I can.

I should point out since we are going Ouray to Telluride, the cliff part of the shelf road will be on the drivers side which in my view is easier as you can see it and know there is room. When you can see something easier to me thats less pucker

If not on a guided trail run with multiple vehicles, then when would you try these trails?

This is a really great point. A lot of trails are inherently unsafe. Even traveling on flat, paved roads through desert terrain has non-trivial risks. You can only control what you can control.

You build up a vehicle on one of the most dependable and capable platforms ever, stock it full of all manor of safety and recovery gear, and now you have a chance to drive some of the most amazing roads in the world surrounded by the brain trust of the mud community.

There probably aren’t too many opportunities like this in life. It may be worth a scratch or two.

We made Ouray today. We started in Colorado Springs and went by Kebler Rd out of Crested Butte. It took us about 71/2 hours by this route with a stop for lunch on Kebler Rd. It was a nice scenic drive.

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

We made Ouray today. We started in Colorado Springs and went by Kebler Rd out of Crested Butte. It took us about 71/2 hours by this route with a stop for lunch on Kebler Rd. It was a nice scenic drive.

View attachment 2742556

View attachment 2742558
Saw your truck parked right there when we came back into town! Can’t wait to see everyone and do some trails. I let the
boy drive part way up Imogene and we saw our first bear!
3C0B8A0A-9CA0-45A8-94D1-D4D9BECCF037.png

I flashed you near Ridgway (G rated)!

We are going to do the box canyon hike in the morning. Anyone want to do something easy like Governor basin or Sidney basin after lunch? Or we may go up Owl Creek pass and see what’s up that direction.

We made it in Sunday, hiked around Box Canyon today and ate at Maggie's for lunch. Forecast was supposed to be tons of rain, so far just the typical CO afternoon storm. With wife and 3yo daughter, DM me if anyone interested in getting together.

Forgot my walkies too, but made the run back to Wally world in Montrose to get yet another pair.

I have a pair of icon 1.5” dual rate springs for a 200. Free to anyone who wants them. I will be in silverton this whole week if someone wants to come grab them.

Just arrived. Checking in at the 4j campground.

Leaving Denver in the AM. Should be in Ouray by 2pm. Stay off of 50, its closed during the week right west of Gunnison. You'll have to come up from the south or take 70 over and down via 160 or another way. I'll be pulling the turtleback down 70 to Grand Junction. If you see me, wave....

Don't want anyone making a long trip even longer. Keep up to date on cotrip.org.

Has anyone run BBP or Poughkeepsie Gulch on the rain? Just curious what wet conditions do to those trails.

I did BBP in the rain and hail. It was my first time leading a trail. There’s a YouTube video with it. Hopefully this time it’s dry

the steps on BBP were not fun wet. If you brake you tend to slide a little bit. That’s nerve wrecking for sure.

Leaving Denver in the AM. Should be in Ouray by 2pm. Stay off of 50, its closed during the week right west of Gunnison. You'll have to come up from the south or take 70 over and down via 160 or another way. I'll be pulling the turtleback down 70 to Grand Junction. If you see me, wave....

Don't want anyone making a long trip even longer. Keep up to date on cotrip.org.
The google machine says about 4 Hours from Crested Butte to Ourray going over Kebler. Plan to leave around 10-ish, and roll in around 2 as well. See ya'll tomorrow!

-Chris

P.S. have 4 extra radios, all programmed up with a nicer antenna, mic, spare batteries, etc. Holla if anyone needs one.

Minor high jack - but is there anyone else departing Denver early Wednesday morning like myself? Was planning to monitor CDOT road conditions around Glenwood Springs and make a game-time decision regarding route.

I will be pulling a 25’ TT so was thinking of Detour A headed south through Durango etc or Detour B headed north through Steamboat etc. if there are mudslide caused closures around Glenwood. Otherwise I70 to Grand Junction and down to Ouray.

Happy to caravan if there are any other drivers around the area?
I’ve pulled my trailer (25’, 6000#) both on I-70 as well as the back way over Monarch Pass. Just use your lower gears and you will be fine.

Small detour on our way from Chicago. Ended up in Glacier NP, Cascades NP, Olympic NP, Mt Rainier NP, and then Sawooth NF. But we’ll be in Ouray tonight.

D7FD5923-F36E-48E3-82F1-6F1AC6C26B85.jpeg

The google machine says about 4 Hours from Crested Butte to Ourray going over Kebler. Plan to leave around 10-ish, and roll in around 2 as well. See ya'll tomorrow!

-Chris

P.S. have 4 extra radios, all programmed up with a nicer antenna, mic, spare batteries, etc. Holla if anyone needs one.
I took Kebler yesterday. It was about 3 hours for me, from the time I started Kebler Rd to the time I got into Ouray and about 41/2 hours from Colorado Springs to Crested Butte. I was not pulling a trailer however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom