Events/Trails LCDC 2019 - 5th Anniversary (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife and I were already planning a two week road trip to the Ourey area from Minnesota this summer when I read about this event. We hadn’t come up with a date yet, but this will give us a reason to set one. Our initial plans have us making a reservation at Ridgway state park once the six month registration window opens. We’d like to meet up for at least a day or two with this group, if not more.

Our 2013 LC is stock other than LT rated 33’s on stock wheels and rear airbags to make towing our Oliver travel trailer easier. I use it as a DD, for upland hunting, and for towing our trailer. Not interested in upgrading bumpers or anything, but do you think sliders would be a good idea given the trails in the Ouray area for a relative novice? I’ve dragged the underbody a few times already on forest service roads in the Superior National Forest driving over washed out culverts and beaver dam debris. Scratches are Ok, but I’d hate to damage anything too bad 1200 miles from home while having a travel trailer to bring back too.

How about radio gear? I understand that many will use HAM gear on the trail. Half a dozen good friends of mine are HAM enthusiasts. If I asked them for help with gear and licensing I’m sure they’d set me up this winter/spring. What should I ask for? What type of radio/antenna? What level of license? Where on the spectrum? I remember several of them talking about 2 meter rigs in their trucks. Ideally I’d get a license and borrow something for the trip. Not worried about passing the exam, my undergrad is in engineering and currently I teach high school robotics/electronics.

I’m looking forward to meeting some fellow 200 series LC/LX enthusiasts. They are few and far between in MN. I could probably count the number of LC/LC’s I’ve seen on the road around here in the last year on just one hand.

Sliders would be a great and practical upgrade...and easily suffice for Ouray/Telluride trails.

**If you decide to skip sliders...
...Highly recommend removal of the stock side steps as there is a good chance they end up dented upward (possible damage multiplier).

Steps are super easy to remove—especially on the LC. Just a few bolts to unscrew...then replace in the holes. Those steps are super light (and easy to damage).

Looking forward to meeting you next Summer! :)

PS. Sliders are easily THE biggest enabler of basic wheeling beyond ATs, in my opinion, and I’m sure an opinion shared by most experienced wheelers here.
*Nice thing too is they can also make great steps depending on what model you install. Slee’s have non-slip stepping surface, and others like BudBuilt, Trail Tailor and Metal Tech can be had with or without various top surfaces.

Last edited:
Steps are super easy to remove—especially on the LC. Just a few bolts to unscrew...then replace in the holes. Those steps are super light (and easy to damage).

Looking forward to meeting you next Summer!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I’m not too worried. Part of my teaching load always includes several sections of Auto Mechanics, so I get to run a small shop with three bays and two lifts part of the school year. If I decide to get sliders, it’ll become a class assigned project to remove the steps and install the sliders. Many hands make for light work! I’ve walked the kids through an engine swap on our old Honda Element, tons of jobs on our old Tahoe, replaced rusted out exhaust manifolds on my 1st gen Tundra, and LOTS of tire work. Every job has its perks. Mine comes with minions that really want to work on cars, but don’t own one yet.

I look forward to meeting you too.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I’m not too worried. Part of my teaching load always includes several sections of Auto Mechanics, so I get to run a small shop with three bays and two lifts part of the school year. If I decide to get sliders, it’ll become a class assigned project to remove the steps and install the sliders. Many hands make for light work! I’ve walked the kids through an engine swap on our old Honda Element, tons of jobs on our old Tahoe, replaced rusted out exhaust manifolds on my 1st gen Tundra, and LOTS of tire work. Every job has its perks. Mine comes with minions that really want to work on cars, but don’t own one yet.

I look forward to meeting you too.

Man, that is just really cool. I needed a teaching shop like that. Would have been miles ahead now, as I’m no auto mechanic, but wish for those skills.

I’ve taught many years too...but not in a shop like that. :)

How about radio gear? I understand that many will use HAM gear on the trail. Half a dozen good friends of mine are HAM enthusiasts. If I asked them for help with gear and licensing I’m sure they’d set me up this winter/spring. What should I ask for? What type of radio/antenna? What level of license? Where on the spectrum? I remember several of them talking about 2 meter rigs in their trucks. Ideally I’d get a license and borrow something for the trip. Not worried about passing the exam, my undergrad is in engineering and currently I teach high school robotics/electronics.

I know one or more groups this year used the 70cm band (420-450MHz) rather than the 2 meter (144.1-148 MHz) band.

A 5W, handheld 'Dual Band' VHF/UHF (2m/70cm) FM transceiver will do the job on the Ouray/Telluride trails.

The FCC 'Technician' class license is all that is required to transmit using a typical 5W, handheld or 50W, mobile 'Dual Band' VHF/UHF FM transceiver (TX 144.1-148, 420-450MHz).

Sliders are a good idea. A simple handheld ham radio will suffice.

I think I looked at every picture from this years event with much envy, I plan on making every attempt to head to the 5th annual. Guess that means I have a deadline for bumper, tires, and lift!

This is shaping up to reality real quick for me, pitched to the wife as a possible, and shes now looking to book our place, so I guess I'm pretty much in. I'm super stoked. I'm running an '18 LC, that will at least have wheels and tires come this trip. I know nothing of HAM, or anything else. I know some 2 way radios that's about all. Coming out of Maryland. I like idea of convoys, or at least meeting along the way. Who knows, I still have some time to plan.

I think I looked at every picture from this years event with much envy, I plan on making every attempt to head to the 5th annual. Guess that means I have a deadline for bumper, tires, and lift!

Start with tires and sliders.

Bumpers aren't really required, but you can expect to scuff them and/or dent the bottoms, depending on what line you take.

In terms of practicality:
  • if you don't exceed a 33" tire, go tires first, sliders second, lift third.
  • if you want to run a 34"-35" tire, go tires and lift at the same time, sliders next.
Bumpers are fine to add, but not really required. i.e. if you need a winch or extra fuel, enough people will be on the trail with you with winches and fuel that you'll be fine.

Bumpers aren't really required, but you can expect to scuff them and/or dent the bottoms, depending on what line you take.

In terms of practicality:
  • if you don't exceed a 33" tire, go tires first, sliders second, lift third.
  • if you want to run a 34"-35" tire, go tires and lift at the same time, sliders next.
Bumpers are fine to add, but not really required. i.e. if you need a winch or extra fuel, enough people will be on the trail with you with winches and fuel that you'll be fine.

Agreed. On a 16+, you definitely don’t need a front bumper especially with 33+” tires, but the stock rear will probably get scratches here and there. I had never wheeled in the Telluride/Ouray/Silverton area and I was quite surprised how tame the trails were. If I’m being honest, I would have zero concerns about taking a bone stock 200 with 33” all terrains on basically any trail out there with the exception of poughkeepsie, and the reason I say that is only because I didn’t run it personally. I would even run Black Bear Pass in a stock truck on good all terrains.

Agreed. On a 16+, you definitely don’t need a front bumper especially with 33+” tires, but the stock rear will probably get scratches here and there. I had never wheeled in the Telluride/Ouray/Silverton area and I was quite surprised how tame the trails were. If I’m being honest, I would have zero concerns about taking a bone stock 200 with 33” all terrains on basically any trail out there with the exception of poughkeepsie, and the reason I say that is only because I didn’t run it personally. I would even run Black Bear Pass in a stock truck on good all terrains.

That’s really true.
Our fully built trucks are way overkill for most of what we see in Ouray. Heck, they are overkill for most trails, period! :) But for some of us who beat the poo out of them in other locations, armor can truly save the day (and your truck, trip, & even your neck sometimes). :)

Year 1 of the event I was stock except sliders and 285/70-17 LT tires. Did everything and only got 1 scrape on bottom of rear bumper. Stock trucks can do a lot.

Year 1 of the event I was stock except sliders and 285/70-17 LT tires. Did everything and only got 1 scrape on bottom of rear bumper. Stock trucks can do a lot.

Year 2 I had sliders, ATs and a mild lift.
Piece o cake.

In fact here is a pic of me spotting a woman driving a stock truck (just KO2s and sliders) down Black Bear Pass. Just a couple little pointers here and there and it was no problem!

8F11A0D3-F255-406E-AF72-2E3E1CCA2FDE.jpeg

In fact here is a pic of me spotting a woman driving a stock truck (just KO2s and sliders) down Black Bear Pass. Just a couple little pointers here and there and it was no problem!

View attachment 1830305

Thanks for spotting our group :)

Here is another pic of that woman (elkeye's daughter) and the group headed down Black Bear Pass.

upload_2018-11-12_13-57-54.png

That stock 2015 LC (except for LT285/65R18 KO2 tires & Slee sliders) also did Poughkeepsie Gulch (utilizing the bypass around 'the wall'). Seven 200's had lunch at Lake Como while Romer et al. winched their vehicles up 'the wall'.

upload_2018-11-12_13-44-37.png

Thanks for spotting our group :)

Here is another pic of that woman (elkeye's daughter) and the group headed down Black Bear Pass.

View attachment 1830387

That stock 2015 LC (except for LT285/65R18 KO2 tires & Slee sliders) also did Poughkeepsie Gulch (utilizing the bypass around 'the wall'). Seven 200's had lunch at Lake Como while Romer et al. winched their vehicles up 'the wall'.

View attachment 1830385

I am glad you chimed in since I couldn't remember who that was! She was a great driver and did awesome on BB. Very cool to hear you guys did Poughkeepsie as well. I'd like to give that one a shot next year.

I did a little light “customization” to my stock rear bumper coming down from Imogene. I’d like to get a set of bumpers, but I really don’t need them.

Just booked Ouray Inn for Tuesday through Sunday. We'll likely leave CA on Wed/Thur the prior week and will start thinking about the route and pre-trip activities in spring.

We're targeting a website update with more information about the event, sign-ups, etc. in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom