LC 76 : 1GR-FE Vs. 1VD-FTV (Gas vs. Diesel)? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys with regards to my next purchase.

I have decided to order a new LC76 (blue) from our dealer in Kuwait, GXL with diff-locks and auto hubs.

I cannot decide whether to buy a diesel (1VD-FTV) or the gas (1GR-FE):(

I live in Kuwait where diesel use in passenger cars is less than 1% of the total population, and thus we do not have garages with the necessary know-how and technical skills to repair and properly maintain a modern diesel turbo. In case I run through trouble, I will have to take the vehicle to the dealer, which I suspect have very limited knowledge on how to fix diesels as well - and churn out huge sums of money.

However I really like the added torque and cruising range of the diesel compared to the petrol, although it comes at an extra USD 6,000/- premium to get that engine.

Also, can I cancel (cut off and weld a pipe) the DPF without harming the engine or having engine lights turn on? We do not need it in Kuwait legally and I doubt anyone knows how to maintain it (most people have never even heard of such a thing)

When it comes to the gas engine, I personally can give it a full tune-up at my home garage, and any repairs can be undertaken by any garage in Kuwait - so there's the benefit of ease of maintenance and repair

I intend to keep this retro truck forever, for my weekend drive and the occasional tour in the desert. Also, I will never tow with this truck as I have my GMC Yukon for that.

Please help!

Cheers!

Hello,

I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys with regards to my next purchase.

I have decided to order a new LC76 (blue) from our dealer in Kuwait, GXL with diff-locks and auto hubs.

I cannot decide whether to buy a diesel (1VD-FTV) or the gas (1GR-FE):(

I live in Kuwait where diesel use in passenger cars is less than 1% of the total population, and thus we do not have garages with the necessary know-how and technical skills to repair and properly maintain a modern diesel turbo. In case I run through trouble, I will have to take the vehicle to the dealer, which I suspect have very limited knowledge on how to fix diesels as well - and churn out huge sums of money.

However I really like the added torque and cruising range of the diesel compared to the petrol, although it comes at an extra USD 6,000/- premium to get that engine.

Also, can I cancel (cut off and weld a pipe) the DPF without harming the engine or having engine lights turn on? We do not need it in Kuwait legally and I doubt anyone knows how to maintain it (most people have never even heard of such a thing)

When it comes to the gas engine, I personally can give it a full tune-up at my home garage, and any repairs can be undertaken by any garage in Kuwait - so there's the benefit of ease of maintenance and repair

I intend to keep this retro truck forever, for my weekend drive and the occasional tour in the desert. Also, I will never tow with this truck as I have my GMC Yukon for that.

Please help!

Cheers!

Looking at your stated aim with the truck, I do not understand why you want a diesel as the increased cruising range and torque is negligible for what you intend to do ?

To delete the DPF on the 1vd ftv, you will need the ecu programming edited otherwise it will throw error codes and derate. The good thing is you can also get a +50% more power and 70% more torque safely with just a remap of the ecu.

The 1grfe will be more lively to drive, both stock standard, and probably a better fit for you seeing diesels aren't very popular where you live.

But... remapped 1vd vs std 1gr, 1vdftv all the way

Biased opinion here ..

1VD-FTV all the way .. !

But honestly I guess having one living in Kuwait it's like having a Diesel living in Venezuela .. just does not makes sense .. I'm pretty sure that if you want more out of the 1GR you can get it very easily locally with any SC or turbo setup ..

The 1VD FTV gets my vote as well. It's a really nice engine and has plenty of potential. Youtube some vids of them with a ecu remap and a 3inch exhaust and u will be hooked. If it was a problematic engine I'd go the gasser but they have been around for a while now and have proven to be very reliable. Keep us posted with your final decision, have you driven either before?

Many Thanks guys

I do realise that the 1VD is the better engine

But as you have mentioned, maybe my use of the truck does not require that kind of power.

Unfortunately i am not proficient enough, nor do we have tuners who specialize in Yotas in Kuwait who can remap the ECU in case I wanted to hack the DPF off. I thought it was a simple 15 minute job but if it will throw engine lights on then forget it.

Indeed I used to own a 79 double cab with the 1GR, i liked that truck, but I recently drove a friends 79 double cab with the 1VD. The get-go torque was amazing and that is exactly what made me consider it.

Isnt the 76 lighter than the 79 double cab by a few hundred pounds?

Cheers!

Hello,

In a nutshell, the 1VD supplies as much power as the 1GR with better fuel mileage. However, there are some things to consider.

The 1GR is a good engine. It does require higher rpm to deliver power/torque, but it delivers. The transmissions it is usually mated with help a lot. And in the right rpm range, it is not as thirsty as your average gasoline/petrol engine.

I understand the 1VD's injectors are sensitive enough to require an additional fuel filter, aside from the factory one.

The DPF requires you to drive at a specific speed/rpm range (read: a highway stretch) for a while, in order to burn the particulate matter. Removing it may void the warranty; it might even be illegal in your neck of the woods. Ditto for ECU remap.

When it comes to engine power, extra horses are always thirsty. Furthermore, modifications will surely result in extra heat and stresses that in the end will shorten motor life. Extra power always comes at a cost.

If you choose the 1VD, for long term ownership, it would be wise to get a second fuel filter and leave the ECU and DPF alone. In the long run, an unmolested engine will perform reliably over the years, requiring little more than scheduled maintenance procedures.

Last but not least, if you can perform gasoline/petrol engine tune-up/maintenance at home, diesel is not that different, provided you know what you are doing. An engine manual is a good start. It makes excellent occupational therapy as well, but that is another story.

Juan

I do realise that the 1VD is the better engine

Im not sure what you mean by better. The 1GR has a solid reputation, many of them are reaching 400000klms . IMO , you are better off with that than the diesel because of your location and I doubt the price of fuel is going to be a deciding factor. When it needs major work it will be much easier to find parts and experienced mechanics than the 1VD FTE.

Im not sure what you mean by better. The 1GR has a solid reputation, many of them are reaching 400000klms . IMO , you are better off with that than the diesel because of your location and I doubt the price of fuel is going to be a deciding factor. When it needs major work it will be much easier to find parts and experienced mechanics than the 1VD FTE.

I second this. We have a handful of work vehicles (FJ Cruisers and Tacomas) with over 250,000 miles on 1GR's. Great engines. We don't get the diesels in the states so I haven't had any experience with them, but the 1GR are easy to maintain and seem to be pretty solid all the way around.

And the V6 is not lazy in the power dept. from wiki using a 1GR in a FJ Cruiser for comparison.

Output is 236 hp (176 kW) at 5200 rpm with 266 lb⋅ft (361 N⋅m) of torque at 4000 rpm on 87 octane, and 240 hp (179 kW) at 5200 rpm with 278 lb⋅ft (377 N⋅m) at 3700 rpm on 91 octane. This engine features Toyota's VVT-i, variable valve timing system on the intake cam and a compression ratio of 10.0:1. Service weight, including fluids, is 166 kg (366 lb). An updated version of this engine features Dual VVT-i, increasing output to 270 hp (201 kW) at 5600 rpm and 278 lb⋅ft (377 N⋅m) at 4400 rpm on 87 octane and 285 hp (213 kW) and 289 lb⋅ft (392 N⋅m) on 91 octane.

And the 7* series 1VD FTV
Maximum power: Single turbo: 151 kW (202 hp) @ 3400 rpm
Maximum torque: Single turbo: 430 N⋅m (317 lb⋅ft) @ 1200-3200 rpm;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VD_Engine#cite_note-LC70-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VD_Engine#cite_note-LC70-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom