LB7 Duramax? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I may cast a vote for the mighty Cummins. Have a 04 with 48k miles. showroom condition and purrs like a kitten, 1300 rpm at 70 mph. Built it up to carry a heavy camper which we never got. Put on 300 miles in the last 3 years. Too big to drive around town, preferring to use our bicycles.

We need to downsize and are thinking a 05 cruiser. The price for a 70 series is out of the ball park. The Hilux extra cab looks descent.

Can you guys tell me what the fuel economy is for the Toyota’s? The Cummins does 23.5 mpg all day long carrying a 1400lb camper.We are going to switch to a small trailer, tired of jacking the camper on to the truck. Just want to hook up and drive away.

Hope I have Not hijacked the thread. I am not sure if a cruiser is right for me. No drastic off road just fsr roads pulling a trailer.

Thanks for any ideas.

Are you thinking an 05 100 series landcruiser with the 2UZFE V8? You'll probably get half the fuel economy of the cummins even just towing a small trailer. But it will tow well and be comfortable.

Pretty much all the pre 1998 diesel cruiser's can't tow a trailer as per the OEM setup. You could upgrade them and maybe be ok. They'll probably still not get you the fuel economy you're getting with the cummins. I'm thinking HDJ81 here....

If you bought a 1998+ 100 series with the diesel engine (1HDFTE), you'd be very happy. They have great power and return good economy. Good at towing right out of the box. But they are very expensive and hard to get.

None of the 70 series you can import can tow a trailer as per OEM setup. You'd basically have to buy a HZJ77 and swap a 1HDT into it.

This is pretty much why I've been looking at pick-ups LOL.

Thanks, I have been spinning my wheels for a whole month looking at getting a 05 hzj76k. Don’t want to make a mistake and get something that is not as good as the Cummins. The engine is why I bought a dodge.
I will look at the 1hdfte.

Thanks, I have been spinning my wheels for a whole month looking at getting a 05 hzj76k. Don’t want to make a mistake and get something that is not as good as the Cummins. The engine is why I bought a dodge.
I will look at the 1hdfte.

1HZ's are not good towing engines. Tons of threads on the Aussie forums about that. Going from a Cummins to a 1HZ would be a tough move, haha.

1HDFTE's are excellent.

Thanks gt , Don’t want To go backwards. If it is not as good as the Cummins I don’t want it.

How can you tell if a cruiser has the 1hdfte. When you look at the auctions it is not that clear. Also I don’t need plush, I am still driving an 85 s-10 that does not want to quit.

Last edited:
Says no issues with injectors, but if they need service, that’s a pretty high bill. That is a good truck though.
If it is Alberta truck, that rust could be more than a little.

Decided I don't have time for more rust. So going to let this one go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom