LB7 Duramax? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I'm slowly coming to the realization that an LJ78 is not an ideal tow vehicle. :lol: (I'm slow, but I get there....)

We do a lot of camping in summer with a 16' camper trailer. I load the cruiser/trailer up pretty heavy with firewood, bikes, kayaks, canoes, etc. As my kids are getting bigger, so is the amount of stuff we bring. Basically starting to outgrow the setup I've been using the past 5 years. Might even look into a 18' trailer.

So, looking into pick-ups now. Thought about buying one of the newer 1/2 ton gassers with a relatively economical engine (2011-2014 f150 5.0 for example). I've also thought about buying a lower km clean first generation common rail diesel pick-up. I like the first gen CRD's as they have the least emissions equipment, and the price point on them is pretty reasonable now.

I'm attracted to the Duramax because it's designed in part by Isuzu (even though I don't like GM). Cummins is great, but I could never bring myself to buy a Dodge. Ford 6.0 is something I don't want to deal with. And the Ford 7.3s are hard to find in decent shape for a decent price.

So wondering if any of you guys have owned a Duramax and how that went for you? I know the LB7's need injectors at some point (due to GM's fuel filter's being not good enough?) That sort of job does not really bother me as long as it's a one time thing. They seem like solid trucks otherwise with good fuel economy etc.

Lots of my driving will be 15km each way short trips. But then longer towing trips in summer. Not sure how these engines deal with this; I know diesel's don't like short trips.....

This is the sort of thing I have in mind: $12,000 · Great Silverado truck

I’d be assessing the transmission and exhaust. But nice truck, would be able to get a 40’ flat deck and put a
camper trailer and the 70 on there!

Just spoke with the seller of that truck. It sold right away and she just can't figure out how to take the ad down. I knew it was going to sell quick if it was any good. It's actually really hard to find those trucks that clean and unmolested.

Still open to thoughts on Dmax ownership if anyone has owned/used one.

I pull a bigger trailer than yours (23 feet) with a first gen Tundra 4.7 V/8 and have no trouble at all and the best part other than good gas mileage is that you can load the truck up with all the bikes etc. 2nd gen is bigger and stronger etc but I felt it was too big for my daily driver.

I pull a bigger trailer than yours (23 feet) with a first gen Tundra 4.7 V/8 and have no trouble at all and the best part other than good gas mileage is that you can load the truck up with all the bikes etc. 2nd gen is bigger and stronger etc but I felt it was too big for my daily driver.

I have been thinking of those trucks too. Would probably go for the 2005+ version of the 2UZ (has vvti). But man they command a pretty penny still even with high km.

if you really want a duramax look for a LBZ 06-07.

Ive had mine since new and have 300k on it and have had zero issue. I also run 534hp and seen no issues due to the work ive done to it. Trans can be a weak spot if its been tuned without trans safe tuning. My injectors are all still in spec which im amazed with at 300k. Im planning on a new turbo in the next year just because haha. Im sure things are wearing a bit.

if you really want a duramax look for a LBZ 06-07.

Ive had mine since new and have 300k on it and have had zero issue. I also run 534hp and seen no issues due to the work ive done to it. Trans can be a weak spot if its been tuned without trans safe tuning. My injectors are all still in spec which im amazed with at 300k. Im planning on a new turbo in the next year just because haha. Im sure things are wearing a bit.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I know the LBZ's are more desirable. Probably out of my price range unfortunately (for one with decent kms).

Coming from 100hp of pure landcruiser diesel goodness I think I'd be plenty happy with the stock power out of any modern diesel. That said it is nuts how much power those motors can make with some tuning!

I'd actually be pretty happy with a HDJ100 cruiser. Probably the earliest diesel cruiser that can actually tow pretty well right out of the box. But they seem to be around $35k imported to Canada. Cruisers are awesome, but I can't bring myself to pay that much for a 20 year old SUV!

Or just buys nice crate engine and swap it onto your nice truck...

Or just buys nice crate engine and swap it onto your nice truck...

I've thought about that too, but not sure that my particular LJ78 is worth that much investment. Maybe if I could find a nice clean one. I was thinking of a 1KD-FTV swap, as then I'm keeping it Toyota. Also, the 1KD shares the same block as the 1KZ which actually came stock in the light duty 78 series, so would share same bell housing etc. Really though, time is more the limit. I just don't have time to mess with engine swaps these days. Need to find something that works as I need right out of the box.

Just cruising around and came across this thread. From what I'm told the older model dmax to have is the 2007 year model.

Just cruising around and came across this thread. From what I'm told the older model dmax to have is the 2007 year model.
06/07 yes

The LBZ trucks are actually more affordable than I thought, and I'm open to the idea of buying one. Trying to find a clean one with reasonable km is still a challenge.

For my purposes I'd be fine with any of the 01-07 trucks though. I don't mind putting up with the relatively minor issues of the different engines. Compared to the 2LTE those are all great engines, LOL. I won't be towing anything really big anyhow. The truck I linked to in my first post is sort of my ideal; if I had the chance again I would buy it. Something clean, simple, stock, well maintained, reliable, low km, inconspicuous, efficient, not too big. At this point I have no interest in power mods, lifts, big tires etc.

Still a bit torn on whether I should give up on diesel and just get a gasser being that most of my driving is city.

This one is very nice....I'm honestly quite tempted....

Last edited:
Nothing that burns gas will touch a modern diesel when towing. They may post similar figures but the driving experience is what counts. Diesel vehicles climb hills effortlessly and will net similar mileage no matter what you ask them to do.
I like the Cummins. I don't like Dodges, GM's or Fords. I suppose one has to take the good with the bad.

Whatever you choose Nick, add a better fuel filter (Fass or whatever) Keep up on maintenance, Delete the DPF and tune appropriately, monitor Boost, EGT, Trans temp, High, and low fuel pressure and you'll be fine with anything (6.0 and 6.4's excluded).

I agree with Slowandsteady, keep the fuel clean, the new injectors don't like dirty fuel like the old ones did! lol
The 6.4 is a throwaway engine. The 6.0 deleted and head studed is what the old 7.3 used to be. I have been working out of a loaded F550 for a few years now and it's been a great truck. Ford has by far the best front end on the market. I prefer my Cummins, not a fan of most everything else around it. Chevs/GM's are nice trucks, comfortable, just don't last in a mining/work environment that i'm in.

I’ve been doing some research looking around lately. The Duramax I believe is under rated.
Got two friends with duramax engines now, and both have definitely put them through the ringer.

Found this for you.
Seems to be a few around.

My buddy has my old TRD supercharged 100 series that he may part with at a pretty reasonable price..I pulled a heavey boat with no problem through the all the passes on the island. Thirsty devil tho.

Not sure if your leaning towards the truck for the bed space, sure that would be really nice

My buddy has my old TRD supercharged 100 series that he may part with at a pretty reasonable price..I pulled a heavey boat with no problem through the all the passes on the island. Thirsty devil tho.

Not sure if your leaning towards the truck for the bed space, sure that would be really nice

Hey, thanks for the heads up Rob. Yeah, I think at this point I'm looking for something that's not so thirsty. I don't mind a gas v8, but would go for one of the newer ones that get better gas mileage (and have more power). The Ford 5.0 that came out in 2011 has excellent reviews for power/reliability and economy. Dyno's around 315hp and 325lb/ft rear wheel hp complete stock!! And can return 10-12l/100km on the highway and around 14-16l/100km in town. Honestly that fuel economy is about what I'm seeing in my 100hp Prado.... I don't mind Fords; grew up with straight six F250's in the late 80s early 90s - tough as nails. I know they've had their ups/downs, but seems the 2011-2014 5.0 F150's are good. Anyhow, just one of a number of options.

Love the idea of the diesel pick-ups, but not convinced my 95% city driving is the right thing for them.

Anyhow, at this point going to see how the Prado does this summer since I put in a new Alloy rad and a couple other things. If it does better, might put extra money on my mortgage instead of a vehicle, and keep running the Prado for a couple more years. Will just make do with the lack of room.

I might just be too damn cheap to buy a nice newish vehicle....LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom