LB7 Duramax? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember that thing from a few years ago. Used to be white I think? Was way up north somewhere.

Pretty cool but those axles must weigh as much as the rest of the truck put together...

Low center of gravity at least :lol:

If it was a ‘93 turbo inter-cooled diesel mog for 14k it’d be a deal... and would easily tow a smaller RV trailer (or bigger even).

Just curious if you would consider a 5.9 Cummins? Once all the s***ty dodge things are addressed they are super reliable and don't cost too much to run. I just sold my 93 12 valve and Miss it a lot. Had it 7 years and towed hay, logs, lumber etc. Was a weapon and cheap to fix. A buddy has a first Gen Duramax, he was quoted 9k for injectors.

Just curious if you would consider a 5.9 Cummins? Once all the s***ty dodge things are addressed they are super reliable and don't cost too much to run. I just sold my 93 12 valve and Miss it a lot. Had it 7 years and towed hay, logs, lumber etc. Was a weapon and cheap to fix. A buddy has a first Gen Duramax, he was quoted 9k for injectors.

I love straight six diesels. For years I liked the idea of one of the 03-05 cummins trucks. Fella in our club had one. Loved the motor, but did not like the truck. His was manual trans, but those are quite pricey still with decent kms. Seems the autos all need rebuilds at a certain date. The earlier 12v would be fine too if in good enough shape, but I need to be able to haul 4 people, so need a crew cab. Dont think they came crew cab?

Honestly I'm beginning to think that a full size diesel pick-up might just be too much for my needs. The reality is I only tow my camper about a dozen times of year. The rest is short drives in town. Not the best for a big diesel.

My LJ78 has actually been running really pretty good. So I could just run 'er till she blows, and then make a call at that point. Right now I'm love the idea of a diesel 100 series. But really a 1/2 gas pick-up is probably the smartest idea. Something like this would be perfect. Simple, economical and well made small v8 with four doors. Rear diff lock, tow package, low kms, well maintained. If my LJ blew up today I'd probably give this guy a call: $21,000 · 2012 f150 xtr 6.5 box 4 door truck 4x4 But as the LJ is still running like a top, I'm going to cheap out and keep pushing it.

In case you're not signed into facebook...

Capture.JPG

Neat rig! Good thing I like Kraut. :beer:

Maybe someday when my overpriced house is paid off and the kids have moved out.....and the wife lets me own as many vehicles as I want (or leaves me...)...

After this week, I’m sold on Duramax. Saw a power stroke literally blow a head gasket
in front of me by Morricetown, poor bugger.

After this week, I’m sold on Duramax. Saw a power stroke literally blow a head gasket
in front of me by Morricetown, poor bugger.

I do still like the first gen d-max'es. Mainly because they're still a fairly small truck, simple emissions and get great fuel economy. If I come across another original owner old couple selling a well maintained clean low km unit for a good price.... Something like the first link in this thread; would be tempting for sure.

The last couple years of the Ford 6.0 are apparently much better than the earlier years. But I think I've had enough of an 'underdog engine' (in the LJ) to last me a lifetime...

I’ve run into a number of owners with 6.0 Ambulances. They have all said the same about newer being better... till they are listed for sale with a blown 6.0 for pennies on the dollar. I’d not trust a 6.0... and I think you are wise not too.

That said, if I had to lay bets on who could keep a 6.0 alive, I’m sure you could... but why.

I do still like the first gen d-max'es. Mainly because they're still a fairly small truck, simple emissions and get great fuel economy. If I come across another original owner old couple selling a well maintained clean low km unit for a good price.... Something like the first link in this thread; would be tempting for sure.

The last couple years of the Ford 6.0 are apparently much better than the earlier years. But I think I've had enough of an 'underdog engine' (in the LJ) to last me a lifetime...

Yes, the later years of the 6.0 were better.... but thats not much of a standard to be held to. They are still junk. Labor times to do anything to the heads and injectors are pure head-shaking horror. Then there is the well earned stigma which will make selling the thing near impossible (at least with a clear conscience). Don't do it.

Yes, the later years of the 6.0 were better.... but thats not much of a standard to be held to. They are still junk. Labor times to do anything to the heads and injectors are pure head-shaking horror. Then there is the well earned stigma which will make selling the thing near impossible (at least with a clear conscience). Don't do it.
Don't you have to lift the body off to get at the back injectors?

Someone told me that was the case for even spark plugs on the gas trucks, but that seems insane even for ford.

I really like the 90's and earlier ford bodies. If I had no choice but to go full-size I'd probably do that 7.3 thing.

Maybe even do a fummins, only not ****up every body panel bouncing it off trees like someone we could mention :flipoff2:

Don't you have to lift the body off to get at the back injectors?

Someone told me that was the case for even spark plugs on the gas trucks, but that seems insane even for ford.

I really like the 90's and earlier ford bodies. If I had no choice but to go full-size I'd probably do that 7.3 thing.

Maybe even do a fummins, only not f***up every body panel bouncing it off trees like someone we could mention :flipoff2:

I did look into the 6.0 thing a bit. It is possible to do the heads without lifting the body off.... But like Cam said, selling the thing eventually would be like...well...selling the Prado will be....haha. Already started priming my conscience for when that time comes. :lol:

The clean 7.3 powerstroke trucks are very pricey. Over pricey IMHO. I do like those early ones too tho.

I've been waffling on the whole owning a HD pickup thing. This truck popped up yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'll regret not looking at it. Price is very good. In all my reading, the LB7 (2001-2004) trucks get the best fuel economy. Like landcruiser diesel fuel economy or even better. Yeah there is the injector thing, but from what I've read the issue is related to GM's s***ty fuel filter system. People usually install a 2 micron caterpillar filter system and injectors wear issue stops.

Not a fan of the color, but everything else is nice:

Installing a 2-mic post filter system after the 5-mic factory was one of the first things i did to my '06 cummins. After 440K kms, still haven't done anything to the fuel system. I carried spare "1R-0750" 2-mic Cat filters and changed them religiously. You can find the Fleetguard filter housing pretty easily.

Installing a 2-mic post filter system after the 5-mic factory was one of the first things i did to my '06 cummins. After 440K kms, still haven't done anything to the fuel system. I carried spare "1R-0750" 2-mic Cat filters and changed them religiously. You can find the Fleetguard filter housing pretty easily.

440K is awesome. 2006 5.9 is the best of the best. Out of curiosity have you ever looked at the engine hours on your truck? i know it runs on the job site a lot.
If I recall I was around 10,000 hrs with 250,000k.

440K is awesome. 2006 5.9 is the best of the best. Out of curiosity have you ever looked at the engine hours on your truck? i know it runs on the job site a lot.
10k Doesnt seem so bad. I’ve got 17k hours on my 7.3.

That said, a friend drove a tow truck with a 7.3 that had been pinned at 99,999 hours for years. Based on what he said, it was run hard it’s whole life. It’s amazing what some of these diesels can handle.

I haven't, but its probably around your estimate with the mileage it has. In winter months it runs 12-16hrs/day, between driving and idling to stay warm. The POS TIPM s*** the bed though, lost low beams, left turn signal, radio etc... Yet another testament to the garbage wrapped around that poor cummins. I'm still on the original auto trans with double deep pan and Amsoil, for all the naysayers!

If I may cast a vote for the mighty Cummins. Have a 04 with 48k miles. showroom condition and purrs like a kitten, 1300 rpm at 70 mph. Built it up to carry a heavy camper which we never got. Put on 300 miles in the last 3 years. Too big to drive around town, preferring to use our bicycles.

We need to downsize and are thinking a 05 cruiser. The price for a 70 series is out of the ball park. The Hilux extra cab looks descent.

Can you guys tell me what the fuel economy is for the Toyota’s? The Cummins does 23.5 mpg all day long carrying a 1400lb camper.We are going to switch to a small trailer, tired of jacking the camper on to the truck. Just want to hook up and drive away.

Hope I have Not hijacked the thread. I am not sure if a cruiser is right for me. No drastic off road just fsr roads pulling a trailer.

Thanks for any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom