Lazy Sunday Drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the kids had a birthday party to attend Sunday afternoon and my wife said she would take them and I could have some "free time." I had a choice to either do chores around the house or take a short road trip. Since I had a few hours to burn and figure chores can always wait, I decided to take a short drive. The dog has been wearing a "lamp shade" on her head due to a cut she got on the top of her head so I figured she would enjoy the time our of the house and she always loved riding in the 40.
I decided to head North in search of cooler temps (is that really a thing?). I jumped on Hwy 290 out of Greer and headed towards highway 25 N. First order of business was a stop at SPINX for some Petro. I usually only put a few gallons each time I drive the 40 because I rarely drive it and it sits weeks, even months at a time. I don't want old gas in the tank. So... I bellied up to the pump and shoved a whopping $25 worth of $3.05/gal Non-Ethanol gas. I have had this truck on the road for about 5 years now and this is the first time I have had a full tank. Here's where I hope the plumbing I did back during the tank swap was correct.... ;) No fuel on the ground or in the cab... We are good to go.

dash 40.jpg

Jumping on Hwy 25 a few minutes later, I realized this was the first trip over a few miles away since I put the OME lift and new tires on. Man, what a difference. Smooth ride and running 55 was no longer a chore. The tires are surprisingly quiet as well. Although I did realize, via GPS, that my speedo was off 5MPH at 55. So, I must keep that in mind. Not that speeding in this thing is ever an issue.

With the dog in tow, we headed North, then West up Hwy 11.

dog 2.jpg

She loves riding up front. It freaks people out, too because they don't realize she is tethered. I always have her harness on and the leash will not reach much farther than she is now but she can still get in the seat.

So, top and doors off and so were we.... As I turn left from Hwy 25 to hit Hwy 11, I see a dark cloud in the direction I was heading. Only a 15% chance of rain... let's keep rolling. About 5 minutes later, sprinkles, then heavy rain. Surprisingly, I was not hardly getting wet at all. Just a little bit of mist coming in. Thinking I had better put the bikini up, I pulled over. The 2-3 minutes it took to put the top up is where I got soaked. Hind sight said I should have just kept driving but it rained for about 15 more minutes and it was so hot, I didn't mind being wet.

winshield.jpg

Notice the rain on the INSIDE of the windshield. It took me a minute to figure out that it wasn't my new wipers that were not working but rather a heavy coat of water on the inside. Oh, well, nothing a towel can't fix...

I decided to go try and find Horsepasture and maybe the view up at Jocassee, Jumping Off Rock??? No phone signal means no directions so I tried to wing it. I did. I turned off the main road shortly after Sassafras and hit the gravel road. Some of it was rough, some was pretty steep but much of it had a new layer of gravel and VERY recent grading work. The road was very nice considering...

This was my first trip up there. There were 4 other cars up there when I got there and only one more headed up on my way back out. The rain cooled things off and it made for a nice afternoon.
Jocassee view 40.jpeg

Poser pic

Jordan Jocassee view.jpeg

The road was in good enough shape that you never needed 4WD and other than some large gravel and rocks, high clearance didn't seem to be needed.

All in all, it was a good way to spend a few hours on a Sunday afternoon.

I drove right by you on Sunday coming back from an overnight cabin trip. We took a detour off 178 to see what the whole The Wilds thing I kept seeing on a sign. Turns out it's a Christan camp. But we drove right back past horse pasture going home Sunday. Funny going up 178 I passed a tan 40 coming back down into Greenville. THey waved at me. I was in the Troll Patrol.

That might have been me. I saw a LC coming down 178 as I was headed up there but didn't recognize it. I threw my hand out the window door opening to waive. I saw larger tires on what I thought was white-ish 100 series. With the curves and the wet road, I didn't get a great look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom