Late series rear axle into 77 40 e-brake questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently rebuilding a late series drum brake rear axle to put into my 77 FJ40. I will be keeping the t-case mounted e-brake and not using the rear drum e-brake configuration that is currently set-up on the axle. A few questions:

Can I maintain the adjustment on the rear brakes without using the e-brake auto-adjuster? I don't mind going in there with the tool for the manual adjustment, just want to make sure that this is possible. Would anyone recommend leaving the bell crank assemblies in place for "making" these adjustments? I would rather remove them...

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David-

You cannot remove the adjuster mechanism that works in conjunction with the parking brake because the arm on that mechanism keeps the adjuster from backing off after it is adjusted up.

You can adjust these brakes with a conventional brake adjusting spoon.

The bellcranks can be removed. You will have to manually adjust the rear drums occasionally, just as you do now. The good news is there is only one adjuster and one cylinder inside each drum. Also, the 81-later drums are bigger and more effective than earlier type.

The bellcranks can be removed. You will have to manually adjust the rear drums occasionally, just as you do now. The good news is there is only one adjuster and one cylinder inside each drum. Also, the 81-later drums are bigger and more effective than earlier type.

What keeps the adjusting wheel for the brake shoes from backing off?

Steve and Jim-Thanks a ton for the replies. I am heading into the cave tonight to toil away on this and will snap a few pics of in-process work. I really appreciate the direction.

I meant the bellcrank that the brake cable attaches to(#30 &31).

The internal lever (#60) that the short cable attaches to does have to remain, as you pointed out, to keep the little ratchet lever (#62) in position on the starwheel.

But at least the rockfinding external bellcrank and the ball of aluminum corrosion(#32&34) that contains it, can be sh!tcanned.

081-C.gif

Rear brake set-up in process

Here is the brake assembly. You can see the little bell crank poking its nose through the backing plate on the lower right. My plan is to remove the cranks and internal cable parts, though the auto adjuster would be nice. I will post some pics of this feature "in action"
DSC00796.jpg

Adjuster

First pic is of "normal" operating position or parking brake off. In this state, the arm of the adjuster lies in a tooth of the adjuster wheel(keeping it from moving-I see what you mean Steve). Second picture is the auto-adjuster arm at at full extension (this is what happens when the bell crank is pulled-parking brake activated. A spring pull counters this mechanism and pulls back the arm toward the "at-rest" position and in doing so spins the wheel and adjusts the brake. Cool.

Steve and Jim thanks for shining some light on this.
DSC00789.jpg
DSC00790.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom