Late night recovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this isn't in the right spot. But it is a good story to share.

After a so far success Moab trip, in search for a campsite recommend by the local who works out of a McDonald's booth, we got ourselves into a pretty interesting situation.

After driving a decent "trail" for a few hours we start to notice some weird things.... trash and gear spread out on the trail over a mile or so. Pretty weird. We get up this hill and then we see a group of people screaming under a large tent and then they are sprinting around before they start chasing us on moto bikes. We high tail it out of there back down the rock wash when all of a sudden we hear hell over the radio.

This is what followed,

AED73AD9-47E3-4EA2-8C54-0B5BFA7784F9.jpeg

Sooooooo yeah........ not sure how this happened to one of the rear convoy cars.

Flustered because we can hear the bikes closing in, we start to realize just how bad this is. The rock couldn't be more stuck if we tried. It was pinned on the sway bar bracket, tire was crushed by the shock, and slider and wheel well pressed up against the rock. Oh yeah it's also 12 am.
2B96010B-2F1C-4E94-AD3C-95AF2C3EA027.jpeg

F61587E8-7952-4BCA-B111-07DAAE05A2A3.jpeg

So we start on the wheel, but why would the off-road gods want to make it easy??????? All but three lugs have been cross threaded! Three out of five axle studs snap. :) And the last two.... right next to each other.

C8E45B8D-CB3E-4DD9-A165-757393D766E6.jpeg

Pics are out of order but at this point the tire and rock are still stuck. We use a "trusty" highlift jack to try and get the wheel off enough to hopefully pull it out.

Jokes on us, the jack fails. We get another to pump up the back. That one fails.

At this point, we have two jacks that won't go down anymore. ( yes they were flipped in the down position).

4AA46CCD-E4C4-4A29-85EE-6E38FF63B549.jpeg

We are teenagers who don't really comprehend safety so save the advice we know this is very stupid.

Anyways it's about 2 am now and we have tried everything, bottle jack in the wheel well pushing the rock out? Nothing. Straps on the rock with 8 people pulling? Nothing. Drive forward and risk the differential? Nothing. Eventually we just start hammering the rock apart.

So yeah what followed was an hour of painfully slow off-roading in a rock bed with the spare held on by two lugs.

Moral of the story, don't trust the guy who works in the McDonald's booth, oh yeah and maybe pic good lines to drive.

Also, carry a firearm on you.

Came to say this. Always pack heat in the back country. Especially in Appalachia, I'll add.

What was up with the dirt bike gang, did y'all ever make contact? Weird night for sure.

Came to say this. Always pack heat in the back country. Especially in Appalachia, I'll add.

What was up with the dirt bike gang, did y'all ever make contact? Weird night for sure.

The closet bike was about three car lengths away. Not really sure when we lost them but they were on us for a while. They drove across a field to start the chase so it wasn't like we drove into their camp.

The concerning part was the fact they were scrambling around grabbing stuff before sprinting to their cars and bikes.

Just turned 18 so time to enjoy my rights and start bringing some extra "tools" on the next trip.

We never made contact with them, we came up a hill and they were at the top about a 100yds away, and we booked it down so fast the way we came. OP forgot the top of the hill had a massive bulldozer at the top. Crazy ominous night lol.
04D2DC68-1FCA-4F5E-BEC0-A00E2CB35962.jpeg
1189E9BB-C4D8-4DA5-BBAF-0C0E1B797425.jpeg

All the bad luck happened at once. Good that no one was injured. Stay safe boys!
Those rear studs are pretty east to replace. Carry few next time (which I do).
I planned a solo trip to Big Bend National Park a few months ago. A friend of mine who also owns a 100 said we'll all go together or if I still want to go alone, recommended me to carry couple of guns with me. I got non, so end of the solo trip.

Lat/Long? What road? sounds sketchy af..

All the bad luck happened at once. Good that no one was injured. Stay safe boys!
Those rear studs are pretty east to replace. Carry few next time (which I do).
I planned a solo trip to Big Bend National Park a few months ago. A friend of mine who also owns a 100 said we'll all go together or if I still want to go alone, recommended me to carry couple of guns with me. I got non, so end of the solo trip.
Currently doing the studs. only problem is how bent everything got with two studs left. Definitely not going to be making any solo trips, especially without protection

Lat/Long? What road? sounds sketchy af..
No clue as to where it was. A bunch of probably wrong turns and driving on just a river bed made it very disorienting. Best guess is within a few miles of behind the rock road near the mini dunes outside of moab.

No clue as to where it was. A bunch of probably wrong turns and driving on just a river bed made it very disorienting. Best guess is within a few miles of behind the rock road near the mini dunes outside of moab.
Ah, ok then. Maybe you ran onto some private land? Your original posts made it sound like you went where the McDonalds local sent ya, like it could have been a trap or something. Still weird to get chased off by frantic bikers for sure....

That rock stuck is crazy bad luck... when it gets that bad you work with what you got to get home, well done.

Ah, ok then. Maybe you ran onto some private land? Your original posts made it sound like you went where the McDonalds local sent ya, like it could have been a trap or something. Still weird to get chased off by frantic bikers for sure....
I'm starting to think maybe the guy didn't realize his favorite camping spot was not infact public land . He described it as an open area with fire rings everywhere that he frequently camps at but I'm not really sure anymore.

Currently doing the studs. only problem is how bent everything got with two studs left. Definitely not going to be making any solo trips, especially without protection

Nice work getting off the trail man. And I wouldn't worry too much about solo trips, have done hundreds down in Moab (and CO, and MT, etc.) without issue. One weird spot of luck shouldn't change even one thing about getting outside in the future.

Nice work getting off the trail man. And I wouldn't worry too much about solo trips, have done hundreds down in Moab (and CO, and MT, etc.) without issue. One weird spot of luck shouldn't change even one thing about getting outside in the future.
Yeah that's a good point. We pobably cashed in our only weird experience for the next few years

That is my rig and my 17 year old and his buddies. I have a mobile mechanic in Moab helping and checking the rig out before a 6 hour trip home. (Rich Van Voorhis 302-505-0476 and he is AWESOME. The head mechanic at the place with all the 80's. Second time he has saved my butt.)

Still don't understand how this happened.....and we just installed that rear bumper...hope the tire swingout isn't too mangled now.

Most important part of the story is they are all ok. Just want to get them home safely. Wonder if Discount Tire will replace that tire. I have the replacement certificate!

good times
motorbike cartel drug deal 😦
eventful night!

One night around 12am we came upon a group of coked up car theives who just steal cars and go 4x4ing, this we all pieced together after a ridiculous night of wheeling with these yahoos... they usually just burn em at the end of the night as we discovered the next weekend going through the trail

Eek. Weird situation. Bulldozer blocking the trail. How weird is that. Seems like that must be private land, right? Even still... weird for somebody to park a ~$75,000 piece of construction equipment across a trail with no signage.
It was also strange that the trials went like five ways around the bulldozer off in different directions. Who knows what they were doing with a bulldozer up there

good times
motorbike cartel drug deal 😦
eventful night!

One night around 12am we came upon a group of coked up car theives who just steal cars and go 4x4ing, this we all pieced together after a ridiculous night of wheeling with these yahoos... they usually just burn em at the end of the night as we discovered the next weekend going through the trail
Wow that sounds extremely strange. Crazy that they just burn them at the end :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom