Last dang bolt to remove the running board brackets!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
Went to replace my running boards today on my 97 LC. For the driver side, working from front to back, got the first 5 bolts holding the brackets onto the car off super easy. Both the brackets and the running boards themselves are pretty much shot with rust. While I was under there, rust was just dropping all over me. Got a 2nd hand set in very good shape that I'd already cleaned up and ready to install. But the last bolt, at the rear on top, I just cannot get a wrench on at all. It's recessed inside the bracket and there's some kind of suspension or frame mount right behind it, so there just isn't room to get a wrench on it with any kind of room to turn it. I went and bought a compact ratchet and even that was still too big just barely. There's got to be a trick here, but I just am at a complete loss. Took me about 10 minutes at most to get the first 5 bolts off, and spent well over an hour wasting my time trying to find an angle or something to get the last one off. I'd cut it off, but I can't even get a my cutting tool in there it's so tight. I'm bloodied (literally), but not beaten. I'll be back at it tomorrow, hoping for some advice.

I'll see if I can find the video, but a tip I came across was to get everything else off until it's just that top bolt remaining, then you can rotate the bracket to give better access to the bolt.

Edit: Maybe it was this - passenger rear, but could be helpful. Starts messing with it around 5:20

Last edited:
A photo would be helpful as 90% of the forum members probably don't have running boards anymore. If I recall a pivoting ratcheting box end wrench was helpful when I removed mine.

I'll see if I can find the video, but a tip I came across was to get everything else off until it's just that top bolt remaining, then you can rotate the bracket to give better access to the bolt.

Edit: Maybe it was this - passenger rear, but could be helpful. Starts messing with it around 5:20

That's what I did. I wish I had found this video, beforehand. That would have saved lot of time!

Success!! Was able to push it to the side and get a 13mm open ended wrench on it just barely. Thankfully, it was loose enough that I didn't have to put much force on it, because that would have been quite difficult. Pretty unbelievable how rusty the running boards were. We bought this car in August of 2021 and for the most part it was in great original shape. Definitely some surface rust underneath, but the worst of it by far was the underside of the running boards. See some photos. They were literally falling apart. So much rust just dropped on the ground when I was battling to get this damn thing off. Can't wait to get the 2nd hand ones on there. Got them all cleaned up and rust proofed.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom