Landcruiser and a dead Whale. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought i would share these pictures with you. It isnt too often stuff like this happens. But, I came across something interesting today.

While doing some fishing & beach driving @ Race Point, Cape Cod - Mass. (Next to Provincetown on the very tip of the cape) I came across a washed up whale carcaus. The size of this thing was HUGE. Basically.. what was left of the whale was 1/3 its origional size. What you are looking at is whale bones/blubber ...as a comparison it would be the human equivalent to our 3rd rib to our pelvis. The whale's head/upper body and tail section must have fell off before it washed ashore. To give you some scale..my LC was only about 4ft from the bones.

LinkPhoto

-Me, Diesel, Land cruiser & whale bones

LinkPhoto

-Whale ribs (under blob of blubber in front) to the mid spine in the rear.

Whale bone is worth a lot of $$$$..and i was thinking about hooking up a tow strap and draggin it home!! :D But, that thing smelt so bad it was making me gag :-X ...Plus, I dont think my girl would have liked me bringing home..NO FISH..but, a whale carcus instead! :D haha..\

Later,
-Joe M-

J -

Great pix! Something you don't see every day.

Some number of years ago, I was sailing offshore (Pacific) in a 40' sailboat, and had a whale - probably 50'-60' - surface and blow right next to us. Let me tell you folks, they don't smell much better when they are alive... and talk about bad breath !

Fortunately, had several extra pair of shorts in the cruiser back at the marina [cruiser content]. :D

Cheers, R -

thanks for sharing the cool pics. I have seen whale bone used in a furniture with a maritime theme.

the head and tail may have been removed by "poachers" before you saw it. i know of a case down here where some people were arrested for cutting the jaw off a dead whale with a chain saw

mmmm dead whale jerky! :eek:

kewl find...I was on the beach a long time ago in an isuzu trooper and witnessed the release of 15 seal pups to the wild...

they immediately swam back on shore and started begging from the people sun bathing.

*sigh*

Joe --

do you have stock suspension and 265s on yours?

i'm trying to get a feel for different packages... :)

e

Thread Hi-Jack :D

My dog is named "Diesel" too! He's an English Pointer, Rat-Terrier mix... :D

BTW - Cool pics of the whale carcass too..

OVROCKS- Your Diesel..is a great looking dog!

ERIC- i am running OME coils, bilstein shocks, BFG AT 295's. Most people here are either running with the 285's or the 300+. I went with the 295's because they could fit stock to minimal lift with out major mods. Also, the 295's are a lot wider and a little bit bigger than the 285's. They look beefy :D

here are some other pics of my beach cruiser..

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

later..
-Joe M.-

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=5029;start=msg39126#msg39126 date=1063065317]
Also, the 295's are a lot wider and a little bit bigger than the 285's.
later..
-Joe M.-
[/quote]

Maybe compared to mud tires with large voids, but 285 ATs and 295 ATs look the same except for the small height difference.

The 285's are less than an inch smaller than the 295's. But, the 295's are about 2 inches wider. Below are the specs.

[glow=green,2,300]LT285-75-R16D[/glow]
BF Goodrich All-Terr T/A KO
Rim Widths 7.5-9.0 in.
Tread Width 9.2 in.
Diameter 32.9 in.
Max Load 3305 lbs.
Max PSI 65

[glow=red,2,300]LT295-75-R16D[/glow]
BF Goodrich All-Terr T/A KO
Rim Widths 7.5-9.5 in.
Tread Width 11.6 in.
Diameter 33.5 in.
Max Load 3415 lbs.
Max PSI 65

They both look the same from the side..but, the difference in width is noticable looking at it from the front.

Personally, i dont think one is better than the other..i personally just like the wide tires.

-joe-

Joe,
Where did you find the tread width figures? The folks that manufacturer the tires seem like they don't like to give that measurement out. It would be nice to have a source for that info.
Bill

I got the measurments by sneaking around at night and measuring everyone's tires~! :D

actually..
go to:

http://www.etires.com

their prices suck..but, they have all the info on most tires. Pick the tire size at the top of the page..then when all the tire types pop up..click on them to get the details.

hope that helps.

-Joe-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom