Builds Land Cruiser HZJ 80 Diesel Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody,

just wanted to introduce myself and my Land Cruiser 80 with the HZJ 4.2 Diesel engine. I started to post a few videos on my youtube channel the last couple of month's, would appreciate it a lot if you check out some of the videos I uploaded. Link: explore - freedom - adventure

I am intrested more in overlanding than in hardcore offroading (rockcrawl etc.), so find me often in the sahara dunes of morocco or the russian woods. I like to share the things I see, so subscribe if you are intrested.

Who is she?
She's a 1997 frame with matching HZJ Diesel Engine and the 5 speed manual transmission. On top we have a VX body (old body was not in good condition), which is absolutely rust free. Since she's made out of multiple trucks, there is a bit of stuff going on here. Everything on the old girl was redone, every bushing, every bearing, paint - just about everything. On youtube you find a quick review. If somebody is intrested in an in depth review, just let me know. I do my best to write everything down and eventually make a video out of it.

Up front:
DSC00246.jpg

I installed the ARB Delux Bullbar, which looks classic but functional to me. This bar was ordered completely new and I left the flat black powdercoating on it. Looks very good to me. What you don't see in the picture; I installed 2 roadsafe recovery points. Inside sits a WARN TABOR 12k winch, with synthetic rope. On top sit's an OSRAM quality LED lightbar. I love this thing, it puts out a hell of light in such a small and efficient package. Left from the license plate you can slightly see the air quick coupler connection for the ARB compressor under the bonnet. The switch is installed in the interior. That way everything is nice and where I need it.

Side:
DSC00251.jpg

I ordered custom rocksliders with 3 inch tubing and a kickplate on top. They don't look too extreme in my opinion, offer the right ammount of protection and still fit the look of the 80.

Back:
DSC00247.jpg

In the back I left the standard plastic rear corner cap's. I like the look and the low weight. Since I plan to travel to Kamtschatka and back (approx 40.000km) with this truck, I need something more sturdy. The ASFIR rear bumper is already ordered and will arrive in 5-6 weeks. I will keep you up to date. I struggled a bit with the order of a steel bumper. As a small reminder: It's an HZJ... 131hp no turbo. It's slow... extremely.

Snorkel:
DSC00253.jpg

We installed the Safari Snorkel on this truck during the process of rebuild. In my opinion it's the perfect construction and looks just classic to me.

Wheels and tires:
DSC00252.jpg

Powdercoated HDJ80 wheels, which are wider than the standard HZJ wheels (6x16). Because this truck is an HZJ, there are no fenderflares, so you have to be careful what wheel/tire combo you want to fit. For me the 285/75R16 BFG Mud KM2 did the trick. In germany it's not allowed to have tread stick out of the wheel well. In case you are wondering: Yes manual hubs, this truck came with standard part time 4wd. It was not converted. If you run constant 4wd, I highly recommend converting. One of the best mod's I did to my 100 series.

Frame and Suspension:
DSC00259.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

The frame on this truck was completely sandblasted, reprimered, repainted. We replated every nut and every bolt. All driveshafts are new. All bushings, gaskets, everything, ring, pinion - just everything is new. I decided to go with the ARB Air Lockers front and back. The suspension is OME. I do not think the OME is the best suspension, but it's one of the few that are allowed in germany.

Interior:
DSC00254.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

A lot of the interior was manufactured new, reconditioned or build from scratch. I don't have more pictures currently, but there is almost no comfort in this cab. No RPM gauge, no cruise control, no insulation. I plan to insulate the complete truck (will post a video of that) and change the front seats.

Nice work, nice rig but will that dog hunt? I bet it would hunt better if you remounted the tires with those white letters facing inward.

Beautiful truck!

What kind of tire carrier is that?

Not to hijack but I think that may actually be an OEM one! I don't think they were equipped in the states.

Awesome rig regardless, I'm really impressed by the reconditioning underneath, inspires me to want to get my truck arms and a other stuff sand blasted and coated.

Edit: I just looked up Kamchatka, that is really quite an extreme journey, very very cool, good luck on the trip and keep us updated if you can!

Awesome rig!!!!

Hi from another HZJ80 owner.

10A6117A-3B33-4BAE-A53B-F2687DEEEFDB.jpeg

It is an OEM Spare Tire Carrier. And I love it. No rattles. Well made. Light. I have the Asfir Corner Capping laying here around. Which is a low weight alternative to a full bumper. Will report on this later. Currently I am once again in the states - what a beautiful country, awesome guys here. I am suprised every time how this nation presents itself.

Enjoy your christmas holidays, stay safe and healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom