Land Cruiser Grilles - headlight conversions and grilles (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went easily enough, despite being a moron. I struggled to find the instruction online. After that, pretty pictures made it easier.

Toyota fork truck made pulling the front bumper a little easier.

View attachment 3509674

View attachment 3509675

Bolted everything up. Alignment was decent, I spent maybe an hour nudging things around to get the margins reasonably good.

View attachment 3509676

View attachment 3509677

View attachment 3509678

I'm still a little tight to the hood. I was sick of monkeying with it today, so I called it good enough for now.

View attachment 3509681

Mounted the front bumper back up. I knew I was going to have some issues with the winch. It was touching the grill before. I don't know if it's the my mounting, or the placement of the winch, or both, but I couldn't slide it forward any more to clear the grill. I put a couple of washers under the back of the winch to tile it forward, but I'm going to have to lift up the winch a little and clearance those holes some more and slip it forward a bit more.

View attachment 3509680

Looks tits. Honestly it looks better installed than I thought it would.

View attachment 3509682

View attachment 3509683

I haven't driven it in the dark yet. Getting a decent headlight, and replacing a cracked up factory grill were the main reasons for doing this. I did open the garage door after it got dark, and I was content with what I saw.

Nice work Kelly, everything fit well, it's well thought out, and it's SOLID with everything bolted up. There was a little bend in the inner grill in shipping, but it was easy to straighten out. The dude that painted it was impressed with what he saw as well.

View attachment 3509679
Awesome!!! Thank you. Looks great

Went easily enough, despite being a moron. I struggled to find the instruction online. After that, pretty pictures made it easier.

View attachment 3509674

View attachment 3509675

Bolted everything up. Alignment was decent, I spent maybe an hour nudging things around to get the margins reasonably good.

View attachment 3509676

View attachment 3509677

View attachment 3509678

I'm still a little tight to the hood. I was sick of monkeying with it today, so I called it good enough for now.

View attachment 3509681

Mounted the front bumper back up. I knew I was going to have some issues with the winch. It was touching the grill before. I don't know if it's the my mounting, or the placement of the winch, or both, but I couldn't slide it forward any more to clear the grill. I put a couple of washers under the back of the winch to tile it forward, but I'm going to have to lift up the winch a little and clearance those holes some more and slip it forward a bit more.

View attachment 3509680

View attachment 3509682

View attachment 3509683

I haven't driven it in the dark yet. Getting a decent headlight, and replacing a cracked up factory grill were the main reasons for doing this. I did open the garage door after it got dark, and I was content with what I saw.

Nice work Kelly, everything fit well, it's well thought out, and it's SOLID with everything bolted up. There was a little bend in the inner grill in shipping, but it was easy to straighten out. The dude that painted it was impressed with what he saw as well.

View attachment 3509679
Nice to have a forklift as a helper. Looks awesome! Still wish I can find round headlight conversions for the 200.

Nice to have a forklift as a helper. Looks awesome! Still wish I can find round headlight conversions for the 200.

Shockingly handy when dicking around with vehicles. I've taken a door off and stuck the forks in to pull a tranny and tcase. Still a pain in the butt, but far less cursing and soiled pants from grunting. Getting it to the ground is a non-issue at least.

I was super concerned about the lights. I think they were $850?
I need to adjust up just a freckle.
Low beam has a kinda odd narrow beam pattern. But the light is tight, which is good for not blinding everyone else on the road.
The high beam is killer though.

I'm relieved that they are as good as they are.

20231218_055437.jpg

Last edited:
Kelly, one thing that was an issue was the passenger side mount bracket is bent on the wrong side. I see on your site the bend is on the right side (welded) in the picture. On the piece I got the bend is opposite of that and not welded. I had to cut the horn bracket to make it work. Not critical to me, but you might want to look into that.

Kelly, one thing that was an issue was the passenger side mount bracket is bent on the wrong side. I see on your site the bend is on the right side (welded) in the picture. On the piece I got the bend is opposite of that and not welded. I had to cut the horn bracket to make it work. Not critical to me, but you might want to look into that.
You have to remove the horn bracket to attach it. Let me know if that would have worked.

You have to remove the horn bracket to attach it. Let me know if that would have worked.
I tried that, but they interfere with each other when you try to attach it. As your looking at it from the front of the vehicle you can see where if that bracket was bent on the left side it would work, but it's bent on the right side which doesn't allow the horn bracket to be used without modification.

View attachment 3509674

View attachment 3509675

View attachment 3509676

View attachment 3509677

View attachment 3509678

View attachment 3509681

View attachment 3509680

View attachment 3509682

View attachment 3509683

View attachment 3509679
Dude; that’s looking wonderful. Seems like it’s been long enough to inquire about your light setup; How’s that going? Did you have an easy solution with that regarding the factory harness and the High Beams? The negative switching aspect of things has blown a fuse in my head in the issue. There is a 20” in grille for me; so it’s kind of lossless…. However, all that Toast and no Jelly seems like a crime is being committed on my part. Do you have a solution that you might share? Thank You in advance.

I tried that, but they interfere with each other when you try to attach it. As your looking at it from the front of the vehicle you can see where if that bracket was bent on the left side it would work, but it's bent on the right side which doesn't allow the horn bracket to be used without modification.
Sorry you had problems. Can you send a picture? The horn bracket needs to be deleted completely, thats what I meant. Let me know if that would have made a difference.

Sorry you had problems. Can you send a picture? The horn bracket needs to be deleted completely, thats what I meant. Let me know if that would have made a difference.
Oh, ok. I was under the impression that the horn bracket would work along with the grille bracket. The directions didn't say anything about removing the horn bracket, but in the end I was able to make it work. I will post a picture of it later on when I get home.

Dude; that’s looking wonderful. Seems like it’s been long enough to inquire about your light setup; How’s that going? Did you have an easy solution with that regarding the factory harness and the High Beams? The negative switching aspect of things has blown a fuse in my head in the issue. There is a 20” in grille for me; so it’s kind of lossless…. However, all that Toast and no Jelly seems like a crime is being committed on my part. Do you have a solution that you might share? Thank You in advance.

I ordered a relay kit off Amazon. One that hooks to the battery and uses the existing headlight power as signal to trip the relays.

There's 4 wires in the Toyota harness. Mine was hacked to ship. (That's a funny typo, and I'm leaving it)

I don't remember exactly, but you use three of them. I'm pulling from memory, so this might not he the most accurate. In one switch position, you have two hots, and two grounds. In the other switch position, you have three hots, and one ground, one of which I think flipped from the other ground. Its confusing AF, and I almost went and got a puppy just so I could kick it.

I just went through every combination I could come up with until I found one that actually worked. You're on relays, so you really can't let the smoke out of anything.

As far as the lights go, I hate that I spent that much on light, but they are good. The lenses focus the light really well. I want to throw a set in my 40 now.

I ordered a relay kit off Amazon. One that hooks to the battery and uses the existing headlight power as signal to trip the relays.

There's 4 wires in the Toyota harness. Mine was hacked to ship. (That's a funny typo, and I'm leaving it)

I don't remember exactly, but you use three of them. I'm pulling from memory, so this might not he the most accurate. In one switch position, you have two hots, and two grounds. In the other switch position, you have three hots, and one ground, one of which I think flipped from the other ground. Its confusing AF, and I almost went and got a puppy just so I could kick it.

I just went through every combination I could come up with until I found one that actually worked. You're on relays, so you really can't let the smoke out of anything.

As far as the lights go, I hate that I spent that much on light, but they are good. The lenses focus the light really well. I want to throw a set in my 40 now.
Hahahaha fabulous. I don’t suppose you have a title, link, or pics of finished? Anything like that? Yeah, I’d buy the lights again despite the pain.

There's nothing to really to look at on the wiring. It's a Messerschmitt of crap. I got it working, threw some zip ties at it, and haven't touched it since.

This is the relay kit off Amazon.
True Mods H6054 H4 LED Headlight Wiring Harness [Negative Switched Conversion]

https://a.co/d/35cbwgJ

There's nothing to really to look at on the wiring. It's a Messerschmitt of crap. I got it working, threw some zip ties at it, and haven't touched it since.

That’s fantastic man, I appreciate the direction on it.

So, you need this relay kit to run 7" lights? I'm asking because I ordered the light housings from Kelly. The grille is just to nice to not have the lights to go with it!

So, you need this relay kit to run 7" lights? I'm asking because I ordered the light housings from Kelly. The grille is just to nice to not have the lights to go with it!
Kelly sends harnesss to plug into the factory harness. I'm sure it works with whatever he's selling. My harness was hacked to shlitz by the chromosome missing previous owner, so I didn't use them.

its probably a similar light to what I have in my 40, and that doesn't need a relay kit.
I'm pretty sure I tried it without the relays, but I don't remember for certain. My buddy and I used the same relay kit in his 82 Hilux. I don't remember how that went down, but there was some phuckery afoot to make that work there too. Plugging in whatever 5x7 light he bought, it didn't work just plugging it in.

If your rig isn't hacked to bits like mine is, it's probably not a big deal. Even then, the relay kit wasn't difficult, just required patience to work through the 24 possible permutations when you pull three wires from the available four. 😀

Hindsight... I'd make a list, and just work through the list if you do. I didn't do it systematically, and I leaned on pure autism to make it work. 😆 🤣 😂 I tried to logic my way through first, but I'm far too stupid to rely on that.

ABC
ABD
ACB
ACD
ADB
ADC
BAC
BAD
BCD
BCA
BDA
BDC

etcetera

It's not hard, just a pain in the ass

Kelly sends harnesss to plug into the factory harness. I'm sure it works with whatever he's selling. My harness was hacked to shlitz by the chromosome missing previous owner, so I didn't use them.

its probably a similar light to what I have in my 40, and that doesn't need a relay kit.
I'm pretty sure I tried it without the relays, but I don't remember for certain. My buddy and I used the same relay kit in his 82 Hilux. I don't remember how that went down, but there was some ****ery afoot to make that work there too. Plugging in whatever 5x7 light he bought, it didn't work just plugging it in.

If your rig isn't hacked to bits like mine is, it's probably not a big deal. Even then, the relay kit wasn't difficult, just required patience to work through the 24 possible permutations when you pull three wires from the available four. 😀

Hindsight... I'd make a list, and just work through the list if you do. I didn't do it systematically, and I leaned on pure autism to make it work. 😆 🤣 😂 I tried to logic my way through first, but I'm far too stupid to rely on that.

ABC
ABD
ACB
ACD
ADB
ADC
BAC
BAD
BCD
BCA
BDA
BDC

etcetera

It's not hard, just a pain in the ass
My pigtails are included so you can install relays without cutting into the factory wires, but buyers need to figure out the wiring themselves. Its been tough for some, probably most, and it would be nice to point everyone in the direction of a functional "plug and play" harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom