Wanted Lafayette, LA Early FD Knob & Cable assembly for FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joestewart

SILVER Star
Threads
I know this could be a pipe dream, but I am hoping to find a good used "FD Knob & Cable Assembly" for an early (1963-1966?) FJ40. I need one similar to the one in the attached photograph. I need not only the knob, but the whole cable that goes through the firewall. Thanks

IMG_3972altered.jpg

assume you need the shorter version as it has a stock heater?

Thanks for that. I did not realize that there was a short version and long version. I know I said it was for an FJ40, but I actually need the knob and cable for an ancient (1962) FJ45 "right hand drive" variant. Does anyone know if I need the "short version" or the "long version"? Thanks again, 3-puppies.

it depends on where the valve mounts under the hood. if it has a blower motor under the hood, most likely it needs the short version

You have a good control box?

I have a used "transfer shift valve (SOR part #072-09). Is that what you are referring to? It has been sitting in a cardboard box for the last 27 years. I am uncertain if it still works. There is a short length of cable sticking out from it (the remnant of the FD cable that someone had cut) and when I pull the cable, it feels and sounds like there is an internal
IMG_3978.JPG
mechanism that is moving.

@joestewart
I'm confused, is the pic in the first post a pic of your rig?
it is a left hand drive and shows heater controls

also check in here in the 45 subsection, add your vin # to the list:

I seriously wouldn’t buy anything without doing some more homework first.

Considering the vacuum tubes exit the transfer case on the right hand side, and the right hand side of the firewall on a RHD vehicle is going to be occupied with clutch and brake masters, I dont know how vacuum would get from point A to point B.

As far as the cable goes, all of mine are paired with control boxes, which is how I intend to sell them.

Thank you, Gentlemen and sorry for the confusion.

1. The photo I posted of the knob needed is NOT the rig for which I am purchasing this knob. I simply used that photo to illustrate the type of knob / cable assembly that I am looking for......The photo of the valve and lines that I posted: Those are parts that came off a 1962 FJ40 LHD that I dismantled and are NOT intended for the rig in question (although we may use the valve).
2. The rig that I am purchasing this knob / cable for: it is a 1962 FJ45 "Right Hand Drive" and it is located in Victoria, Australia. So I really don't have ready access for photography or VIN number. I am contacting the owner now to request better photos of the engine bay and his VIN. Will post when I get that info.......Right now, he is lacking all of the components for his vacuum shifting mechanism (a previous owner removed and apparently discarded them).
3. Yeah, I will definitely do more research before purchasing. Thank you, again.
4. If anyone knows of any sources in Victoria or NSW for parts like this, let me know. The owner is telling me that he is having trouble locating parts for early FJ40s / FJ45s in Australia, and that is why he wanted to tap the used market in the States.
5. You guys have been a tremendous help. Thank you!

We took these photos off the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum Website. They are photos of the engine compartment of a 1963 FJ43 right hand drive. This is the arrangement that the gentleman is looking for with regard to his vacuum switching valve and cable / tubing layout. We are assuming that this is the factory OEM configuration.

FJ43 HT-ST 63 OLIVE GREEN web ready025.jpg
FJ43 HT-ST 63 OLIVE GREEN web ready026.jpg
FJ43 HT-ST 63 OLIVE GREEN web ready027.jpg
Having looked at these photos, it seems like we need the LONG VERSION of the FD knob / cable assembly. Would anyone else agree with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom