La Puerca Plata - 2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The heat tweaked the bottom of the legs because of that unsupported 7" from the top of the bumper to the bottom rung. Metal moves when it gets really hot. If that was a rectangle with a lateral support at the very bottom you don't have to worry.

It's not a big deal. I just have to re work the bottom vice mount with taller angle so it reaches the bottom of the plate above it. No biggy. I knew it was going to move a bit but this was a little more than anticipated. All in all it's holding fine but it needs to be corrected. The gap pry looks bigger in photo than it actually is.

But again, all in all, pretty happy with the result. I absolutely have to get the roof rack painted black. It's killing me in this primer grey lol.

Nice work! I made 3 iterations offset to the left side and got so tired of messing with those angles I went straight down the middle with my final version. You're a much more experienced fabricator than I am though
Thanks man I appreciate it. I'm getting a little better but in the grand scheme of things I'm still a beginner. Maybe working my way up to intermediate but there's guys that make this look so easy. Getting the job done is one thing but making it look good and stylish is another. Goal is to do both obviously.

The top mount is what kicked my butt. The spoiler definitely makes it way harder and I only gave myself just enough room for an 1.5" tube to fit between the roof rack and spoiler when the hatch is full raised position. Thankfully I thought about that when I made the roof rack.

Two reasons why I needed it on the left. Well 3 I guess. One, possibly trying to use this as a kayak slide to hoist the thing up onto the roof. Jury still out on if that will work. I plan on mounting a solar panel on the right side of the roof rack so left will be for the kayak. 2, I thought vision out of the back glass would be better with it offset. Now, seeing it. I think there's still plenty of view through the rungs. I don't think it would obstruct much vision regardless of position. And 3, hoping to fabricate a spare tire carrier/swing out. To accommodate that, ladder has to be offset obviously. We'll see if I get that far. Reason for the tire carrier is I'd like to make a tubbed rear trunk flush mounted in the floor exactly where the stock spare tire location is. Right behind the axle.

So apparently I forgot to include any update for the forum along with the dez photos. I bounced her off the bumps a few times and otherwise drove wreckless for a sprint here and there while the dogs were way out in front of me and at the end after chasing the dogs 6 miles the ladder was just as secure as before we left. Never heard it creak or pop. Nothing. So it's definitely off road ready. Now obviously a long weekend off road or down in Mexico, Baja somewhere with long stretches of corduroy roads may be different but only testing and time will tell. I did look at it a little more yesterday and the double sided tape has definitely thrown the fitment off just a bit. I knew the tape was about 1/16" thick but I thought it would squish down and not really be significant enough to include or adjust for it during fabrication. So I think the final fitment was a combo of the double sided tape and heat warpage. And she's definitely stout. I can climb on it with ease which is nice for getting to something on the roof. Hopefully the kayak idea will come to fruition...

Here's some bonus shots of the truck. Had to get emission testing today and it's right down the street from my secret DEZ spot in N PHO. Swung by on the way home after AZ let the truck loose for 2 more years of hoonery.

Got home and had to wash some MUD off. IH8MUD! ****!

This is 75% of the total 16 3/4" of strapped travel. Bumped and strapped. Like a Toyota frat bro after he passes out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom