Kzj78 changed to 5Lt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a kzj78 which the previous owner put a 5L with 2wd gearbox into but made a dog's breakfast of. So, I am fixing the car up to how it should be but it has been massacred. Could someone who has a 2Lt powered cruiser please give me a measurement from the back of the head to the firewall please. I am trying to determine if the engine is located in the correct position before the 4wd gearbox turns up. All help will truly be appreciated.

I am also building a turbo setup for this 5L with a td04L-13t as suggested by many as the perfect turbo for this engine by many on the forum. So thankyou everyone for your write-ups as they are all invaluable.

IMG-e7a09d197440cb9c522803a538989c56-V.jpg

IMG-88ec8a7a0ef64492e804b4aeeabc9269-V.jpg

@SidewinderGT , As far as I know, the 2L, 3L, 5L, and R22 all shared the same motor mount location. The 1KZ motor mount location is few inches off, and required some cutting and welding. Mine is a 1989 and 2 door. Someone with >1990 4 door will probably be able to tell you better or take better pics.

I think it would be easy to tell what was done by looking at the frame. Hopefully, if it was a real soup sandwich job, they were too lazy to cut out the old motor mounts. I would worry about the motor mount location more than firewall distance to head... I believe the MM location was just 2-3 inches difference between the L Series and KZ series motors. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
To swap from a 1KZ to a 5L they would have had to remove the motor mounts and re-weld almost exactly 2" forward. We just did the opposite to go from a 2L to a 1KZ.

That's correct Willis, however I am not sure they put the mounts in the right place which is why I was hoping I could get the measurement to make sure the engine is positioned correctly. As for the chassis I will measure how far forward of the original mounts they welded onto the chassis. Thankyou for the information

And they didn't put the mounts in the right place. They are 3" forward of the kzj mount position. Another thing to put on my to do list

Wow, that sounds like quite the undertaking! Nice looking Prado, though. Going with a 5-speed manual gearbox?

Today's progress. So glad it all clears the bonnet so far. The pipe from airbox to turbo is off the ej205 the turbo came off. The crossover pipe is made from the aftermarket header from the Subaru engine also.

IMG-837b17571a9288a09214b3f0565d71ad-V.jpg

IMG-a9d0d0c269f70e897c2dd88191a5213a-V.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom