KM2 or MTR Kevlar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get the new Kevlar MTR's.

I've had them for a few weeks and I love them.

Wet roads. No problem. Stop better than BFG AT's and have to really punch it to break the rear loose.

They grip really well in wet. Probably due to the sipping and lug directions.

They are just a touch louder than BFG AT's but not by much.

They clear mud and deep snow well.

I would not trade them for KM2's at this point, hands down.

The only positive I see for the KM2 over the MTR Kevlar is longevity for the tread wear. But who knows. Maybe these new MTR's will last twice as long as the originals.

I'm betting that they will.

My 2 cents.

jfarsang,
thanks for keeping us up to date...will be really interesting to see how things unfold with those...course by the time you have anymore info i will hopefully have a set of my own!:D

barrypt5

Got some 315/75R16 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar put on my 80 last night.
Photos will follow sometime this evening...

I plan On putting 315/75R16 KM2's on my ride. I will have them siped to help grab.
My question is.......... Does anyone know how well they perform in the cold. I mean real cold 30-40 below without windchill...most rubber turns to rock in these conditions but some tires are better than others.
Any experts here???
A perfect example is Doc Marten boots..Nice soft rubber but when it gets around 20 or more below you fall flat on your back (walking into the bar and not coming out after a few drinks) the rubber is harder than steel.
I cannot find anything on this subject. I am pretty much sold on the KM2's

I plan On putting 315/75R16 KM2's on my ride. I will have them siped to help grab.
My question is.......... Does anyone know how well they perform in the cold. I mean real cold 30-40 below without windchill...most rubber turns to rock in these conditions but some tires are better than others.
Any experts here???
A perfect example is Doc Marten boots..Nice soft rubber but when it gets around 20 or more below you fall flat on your back (walking into the bar and not coming out after a few drinks) the rubber is harder than steel.
I cannot find anything on this subject. I am pretty much sold on the KM2's

30-40 below in Baghdad!? Dang, that Al Gore is full of sh*t, this global warming thing is bunk.

Ryan, what trails assignments did you end up getting? Just wondering if we'll see you on the Rim on Saturday.

My current trail assignments are:

Thursday: Hells
Friday: Metal Masher
Saturday: Wipeout Hill

I'm hoping to rearrange and get Moab Rim and/or Behind the Rocks in there somewhere.

Who is running Moab Rim on Saturday?

...photos of tires coming in a few minutes...

Pics of freshly-installed tires:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...lar-315s-1993-fzj80.html?highlight=mtr+kevlar

Did great on the trail in Moab.
Took a while to find the best pressure to air down to--they're much burlier than my old Terra Grapplers. Ran them at 16 psi on my heavy rig.
Also seemed like they started hooking-up better after the first half of the day--maybe a break-in thing?
Ran Poison Spider Mesa in the rain. They seemed to do fine.
Smooth on the highway when at highway pressures.
Rub. Not heinous, but the fronts make some scary noises when taking whoop-dee-doos at higher speeds. Can't tell what they're rubbing in the fronts, but I cannot find any damage to the truck or tires.
The rears rub on the fenders when stuffed, but not enough to damage anything either.

For anyone interested....... the Off-Road Adventures Magazine, published by 4 Wheel Parts Centers, has a full test and write-up on the new Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires. I think you can find it on the web at oramagazine.com.

I'm interested in how they work out as well....

For anyone interested....... the Off-Road Adventures Magazine, published by 4 Wheel Parts Centers, has a full test and write-up on the new Goodyear MTR Kevlar tires. I think you can find it on the web at oramagazine.com.

I'm interested in how they work out as well....

ORA is an entertaining magazine, but I take their reviews with a grain of salt since they do sell the products they are testing. Real world experiences from fellow Mudders means a lot more to me. :clap:

I'm looking at the BFG KM2 or the cooper stt's. Any experience from anyone that has run both? The KM2's are about $70/tire more than the Cooper STT.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom