Kids, don't do this at home! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleeoffroad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.sleeoffroad.com
Ok, it's all appart. This is what happens when you want to be a good guy and pull someone out in a snow storm. Backwards with lockers engaged. Then you keep driving it and go to the weenie roast. Hot-rod a little and see what happens.

Christo

Is that the front ring gear?
Any damage to the pinion? [didn't see the second pic, :slap:]
Do you think the damage was caused previously, and then finally gave in?

This is the 3rd front R/P I've seen broken - Drexx at speed in 02, Jeff Zepp twice in the diesel, and now you! Do you know if the mini-truck guys are breaking this diff in their conversions?

Nice ARB!

Joe

Christo

How about a picture of the tapered pinion bearing rollers?
Look to be wearing on the lower half of the rollers?

Joe

I would say Drexx's breakage had nothing to do with the pinion strength if I remember his post right. I want to say he was full throttle up a hill climb and started bouncing and didn't let off. Nothing's gonna take loading and unloading like that.

"Course, I wasn't there, I just read the trail report.

Christo has done a little destructive testing for us too. one of those many birf breakages could have caused cracks in the gears that didn't show up right away. I would say carnage on the 80 front end has been pretty minimal all things considered.

Gumbster

Yeah, Drexx's beakage was climibing "Competition Hill", and was very loud, as he went screaming by, a couple of feet from me at the base of the hill. Lets see if Drexx can get the diesel up Comp Hill this year [hill changes height / slope constantly].

I assume that Christo's was also from "playing around @ speed"? Thinking the same think that the R/P was stressed / cracked over time..........?

I agree with you about minimal carnage for the smaller front ends, just trying to metally categorize the breakage scenarios for futher reference.

Joe

Aw,

Dress the sharp edges with a bastard file and put 'er back togther............. :rolleyes:

I bet that made a bit of noise, no?

D-

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=6723;start=msg55093#msg55093 date=1067033608]
I would say Drexx's breakage had nothing to do with the pinion strength if I remember his post right. I want to say he was full throttle up a hill climb and started bouncing and didn't let off. Nothing's gonna take loading and unloading like that.

"Course, I wasn't there, I just read the trail report.

Christo has done a little destructive testing for us too. one of those many birf breakages could have caused cracks in the gears that didn't show up right away. I would say carnage on the 80 front end has been pretty minimal all things considered.
[/quote]

OK, couple of data points. I have only ever broke 1 birfield on this truck. This is the SchoolBus and not the ShortBus.

I believe I damaged it earlier this year when pulling the guy out of the snow backwards with lockers on. Just after pulling him out, the front diff did not sound right. I drained the fluid and found a very small (about 1.4") piece of gear on the drain plug. Pretty much knew it was damaged, but have not had time to pull it appart. The truck does not get used much.

Then last weekend we were on a club run and on the way out there were these fun hooptydoos. Had to gas it a little to see how the new suspension would deal with it (well that is the official excuse). I believe the front was unloaded a little and when it came down I heard a noise like something breaking.

Well, it was late, it was about 20 miles from the shop, and we did not have tools with us. Hey it was supposed to be an easy run, so we drove it back to the shop. Sounding like a train comming back and pretty much knew it was busted. Didn't seem to be a birfield a the time, since both wheels still pulled.

So all in all, it sucks, but it has forced me to pull it appart and fix it in any case. The truck has been for sale for a while and it was always the plan to fix the diff.

Moral of the story, the front is pretty strong, but not industructable.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6723;start=msg55101#msg55101 date=1067034130]
Aw,

Dress the sharp edges with a bastard file and put 'er back togther............. :rolleyes:

I bet that made a bit of noise, no?

D-
[/quote]

Was thinking some JB Weld should do the trick.

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=6723;start=msg55102#msg55102 date=1067034139]
OK, couple of data points. I have only ever broke 1 birfield on this truck. This is the SchoolBus and not the ShortBus.
[/quote]

You can't expect me to keep 'em straight when you name 'em like that. :D I did severe damage to my short term memory overselfmedicating myself in high school. I'm lucky to call my kids by their right names.

Sorry for the misinfo. :-[

Yep, mine looked just like that when I broke it....

Speed, [about 120kph] jumping about 3 ft high, on an angle, across the finish line at an event.

For the way the car was treated I was surprised that the front diff was the only think to break that day.

And we only came second, damn mud racer beat me on the quarry course by .5 sec... :-\

Dont forget to make a solid spacer for the pinion, and the ARB fixes the other issue with the front diff. Strong as once they are done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom